Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:10 (Ref:766441)   #26
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crach - I think you need to take your medication and go to bed for a wekk or more - sorry, but no one in their right mind would even contemplate running a V8 meeting at most of the circuits I mentioned....I can't believe you even considered it to be a serious list.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:21 (Ref:766448)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by prn 31
If we going to get into NASCAR type scheduling teams will need to have two cars per driver - with the resultant increases in budgets.

I hear that TC is stipulating that all teams must have Double B trucks by 2005 in order to enhance the show. Should be able to carry a couple more cars in those ...
Interesting you should say that, it seems that more than one team has a car production/retention plan to have a spare current model car for each driver from the start of the 2004 season. Which adds cost and complication, but also gives the crews some hardware to work on while the main cars are in transit

And not surprisingly not all teams are enthused by the B-double requirement either, because most circuits dont have paddocks big enough to keep the A trailer attached to the B trailer
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:51 (Ref:766473)   #28
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the reason v8's don't race at symmons is because the goverment is more concerned about spending $5 mill on york park to get 3 or 4 afl matches a year.
The promoters have been trying for years to get funding to up grade symmons.
Pitty considering a tassie is winning the series.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:11 (Ref:766479)   #29
RaceTime
Veteran

OK - I'll bite (consider how serious I was with the previous post first though...)

Why should ANY government (state or federal) be asked for money to upgrade a commercial entities venue? I know this will cheese some people off, but surely if the promoter can't get the money to do it from the sport, he shouldn't be running cap in hand to the government to help him out.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:13 (Ref:766481)   #30
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RT- where the heck did I say it was a serious list? Crickey! All I have said is that the AVESCO and Procar people have inspected Morgan Park, and there will always be the possibility of racing there in the future! I might go and have a sleep to give you a chance to untangle your nickers!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:17 (Ref:766488)   #31
RaceTime
Veteran

Morgan Park will have as much a chance of running a V8 meeting as Baskerville and Symmons Plains.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:18 (Ref:766489)   #32
bartman71
Veteran

well what about afl that is comercial yet they hand out for that
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:19 (Ref:766492)   #33
RaceTime
Veteran

One big difference there - AFL attracts paying spectators....doesn't mean I agree with that either btw

Last edited by RaceTime; 29 Oct 2003 at 05:20.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:21 (Ref:766494)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They all have as much chance as Amaroo Park
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:24 (Ref:766495)   #35
bartman71
Veteran

ok the last race at symmons got around 15000 paying spectotors
york park has room for 4500
add in to this the amount of teams in the championship their personel staying anywhere from 4-6 days.
afl 2 teams all up say 80 people. they usaly only stay 1-2 nights.

what will bring more money into the state?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:25 (Ref:766497)   #36
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they would be more aiming at Konicas. Morgan Park next year will pretty much be where Wakefield Park was, and they host probably two of the biggest Konica and Procar rounds of the year. Give them a little time to build up the bank balances and extra bits and pieces of infrastructure, and it'll be more than adequate for minor national grade meetings.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:37 (Ref:766531)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Are V8's too "big" for their boots?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
The Supercars have gotten so big over the last few years, it's now the third (?) most watched sport in the country
V8Supercars is not a sport, it is a category of motorsport

For what it's worth, V8s haven't gotten too big for their boots, it's just that the people running it think it is Formula 1, rather than a domestic Touring ( ) Car Championship.

Last edited by racer69; 29 Oct 2003 at 06:38.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:43 (Ref:766534)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It wont be a domestic touring car championship for long...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:45 (Ref:766536)   #39
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well what will it be?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:47 (Ref:766538)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Depends how the TEGA board meetings go this week, but the series is likely to remove itself from under the banner of control of CAMS...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:49 (Ref:766539)   #41
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I didn't think it was anyway... New Zealand makes it international... not very international but none the less

I'm just worried that people are going to stop getting value for money. The cost of the sport is increasing, the cost of going to it is increasing, yet not much seems to get put back into the circuits we go to.

I used to think China was a really good idea, but the more things I see being stuffed up the less I want the rest of the world to look at.

And I think the government should be putting into the V8's, it puts in for most other major sporting teams like cricket and AFL, why not Supercars?!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:52 (Ref:766543)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is not the responsibility of the category promoter to fund circuit updates. If the circuit owner is unable to charge a full economic price for the use of their circuit, or indeed dont put funds back into their race circuit, instead pocketing the proceeds, then it is not the fault of AVESCO, TEGA, CAMS or any other group than the circuit owner!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:59 (Ref:766548)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
[BWell I didn't think it was anyway... New Zealand makes it international... not very international but none the less[/B]
Yet the winner is still awarded the Australian Touring Car Championship

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Depends how the TEGA board meetings go this week, but the series is likely to remove itself from under the banner of control of CAMS...
Do you mean as in AVESCO will become it's own sanctioning body?

Last edited by racer69; 29 Oct 2003 at 07:01.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:00 (Ref:766549)   #44
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
No I think he means it will run directly under the FIA?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:03 (Ref:766550)   #45
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Of which CAMS is part of.

If it means under the FIA as in becoming an FIA sanctioned international championship, then it opens up a whole new bunch of difficulties.

Bernie and Max will ultimatly run the thing, own the TV rights, and with the FIA already sanctioning the European Touring Car Championship, and talking about another World Series for Super2000 cars, it doesn't leave much room for expansion does it?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:21 (Ref:766609)   #46
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Yet the winner is still awarded the Australian Touring Car Championship
Not quite right - the title of Australian Touring Car Champion has not been officially awarded for the past few years - the winner of the V8 Soupcar series is known as the V8 Supercar Series Champion.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:28 (Ref:766611)   #47
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Do you mean as in AVESCO will become it's own sanctioning body?
No - there is a story that has been bubbling for a while which is about to break - GTR is aware of it - however AVESCO will not become a sanctioning body under the FIA. Whether they break away from the FIA is a different matter (this means they would no longer be beholden to CAMS) as it would throw all sorts of difficulties in their path.

However - for now - consider the following.

Pukukohe, being part of MANZ is, it appears, considered by the FIA to be part of Australian as far as regionalisation is concerned. So, although the Pukekohe race is an International event, the FIA *may* view it as an Australian event. This hasn't been confirmed as yet.

Chine is definately an internaitonal event but, and this is where information is giving mixed signals at present - the race in China is beginning to look very shaky for 2004. And, don't let it be said you heard it here first, it appears that there may bot even be an F1 race in China in 2004. There are a number of problems brewing just beneath the surface for China and, again so my sources are suggesting, this is one of the main reasons for Canada being reinstated onto the 2004 calendar for F1 - if China doesn't go ahead, the inclusion of Canada still leaves 16 races.

But - where would this leave the V8's?

There are two scenarios being discussed in this regard.

The first is that nothing will go ahead in 2004 - a serious possibility.

The second is that whilst the track may not be ready for F1, it *may* be ready for V8's and they wil, essentially, be the 'guinea pigs' for the track to iron out its problems.

The next 2-3 months will reveal all...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:28 (Ref:766612)   #48
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Quote:
Of which CAMS is part of.

If it means under the FIA as in becoming an FIA sanctioned international championship, then it opens up a whole new bunch of difficulties.

Bernie and Max will ultimatly run the thing, own the TV rights, and with the FIA already sanctioning the European Touring Car Championship, and talking about another World Series for Super2000 cars, it doesn't leave much room for expansion does it?
Not Bernie, he runs F1 because he owns it.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:29 (Ref:766614)   #49
RaceTime
Veteran

Not quite right - Bernie owns marketing rights within FIA to a number of different areas - not confined to just F1.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:32 (Ref:766617)   #50
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Even so, he owns nothing about V8's does he