Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Nov 2003, 09:37 (Ref:774600)   #26
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: GT1 class

Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
well, considering that the last chance for this was '99, when the Toyota GT-One was leading going into the last hour only to have the left rear tire go away, handing the win to BMW. It was the "swan song" for this class, even with the Bentley GTP that arrived some three years later.
Small point but the Toyota GT-1 was catching the BMW in 1999, not leading it, it was about a minute behind with Katayama setting fastest laps chasing down Martini. Would have been a close finish. 1998 should have been the Toyotas year, leading when the gearbox went within an hour or so of the end.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:22 (Ref:774801)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What annoyed me (for want of a better word) was why Katayama was setting fastest laps at that stage of the race.......
Old 7 Nov 2003, 10:30 (Ref:775793)   #28
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The days of building a racing car and then making it street legal began with the Duaer 962 that won in 1994. Essentially, it was the final development of the ageless 956/962 with a flat botom and other requirments to make it legal in 1994 in GT1. Yes, it only lasted one race and wasn't welcomed back, but it was a glance at things to come. Pitted by Joest, entered as a Porsche outfit, it was an impressive car.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 13:43 (Ref:775967)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lokked good, but should never have been welcomed in the first place. Even taking into account the "GT1s" that followed it, the Dauer car was no GT car.......the ACO's decision to admit it was singularly unimpressive.....
Old 7 Nov 2003, 15:47 (Ref:776078)   #30
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put the Dauer car in the LMP1/C90 category where it belonged and it still would have won...the point is kind of moot...the car was modified for GT but could have easily been converted into LMP1/C90 specs as well ala the Toyota's that raced that year.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 17:46 (Ref:776170)   #31
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The closest comparison I've ever been able to make between the GT1 and LMP eras was the 1999 Empire Cup and the 2000 ALMS, both at Silverstone. While the Empire Cup was Fabulous, it was fearful how dominant the Porsche's were against cars like the Lister (Storm) GT1. While things are at a bit of a low ebb at the moment, I don't see Audi ruling the roost permanently in the way that might have happened with Merc. I still can't think of the all LMP ALMS at SStone without getting goosebumps!
Old 8 Nov 2003, 00:41 (Ref:776451)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go to the 'best ever race' thread and give it your vote, it's already got mine. What a race.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 02:14 (Ref:776510)   #33
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I wish the ACO would do again is to construct a Group C class for top manufacture racing. One other question I have is how long do you think it will be before Porsche walks back to Le Mans as with Jaguar, Toyota, and whatever else manufacture?????
Old 8 Nov 2003, 04:51 (Ref:776561)   #34
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always been fond of the R390 GT from Nissan. It is the car that got my wife interested in racing and the reason I can spend tommorrow watching 7hrs of racing on speed with her and not hear a complaint except for who is going to make lunch and dinner!!

Thanks Nissan!
Old 8 Nov 2003, 05:46 (Ref:776579)   #35
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the long term survival of ALMS and hopefully LMES will lure manufacturers into the sport on a more consistent basis. Le Mans is a big draw for sure. We will always see short term purpose built teams like Bentley that take their Le Mans win and ride off into the sunset. What did they really accomplish? I believe Le Mans this year was their only victory (ok it was big), but what else did that car win? Nothing like Audi's commitment and record.

I believe that a viable and stable championship series is a plus. Look at Formula 1, so much history there and for such a long time. F1 isn't about one race, its the world championship. Its a shame Group C and the WSC never survived, think of the history we could have had by now. Hopefully ALMS and LMES can gain in stature and bring back some of the manufacturers. And I'm not trying to take away from Le Mans. I think these series will only keep Le Mans stronger.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 19:50 (Ref:777128)   #36
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the aims of the LMES is to encourage season long participation by teams, which appears to be working, with a combination of LM places up for grabs AND significantly a series that has races that are prestigeous in there own right and will attract teams.

Who actually cared about individual race wins in the FIA SCC, and to some extent even FIA GTs.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 04:30 (Ref:777344)   #37
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While the cost during the FIA GT1 period can be considered a bit outrageous, I think the cars that came out from the manufacturer skunkworks can be considered a real work of art! MB CLK GTRs, Porsche GTs, Mclaren F1s, Toyota GT1s. But my favourite will always be the Nissan R390!
Old 9 Nov 2003, 06:27 (Ref:777403)   #38
#59 Ueno-Clinic
Rookie

#59 Ueno-Clinic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the difference between the McLaren F1 and the others that you have mentioned is that it was never intended to race when it was launched in 1992. the road-going CLK-GTRs and the R390s were built soley for the purpose of homologation, not "true" road cars. personally i have more respect for the for the cars that were built without the thought of winning in LM-GT1. they are more practical for private ownership, but still have its named attatched to Le Mans.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 07:08 (Ref:777425)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Who actually cared about individual race wins in the FIA SCC, and to some extent even FIA GTs.
Err a lot of people care about wins in the FIA GT series - thats why the series is so strong. I mean like it or not the Spa 24hrs now is the 2nd most important endurance race to win in the world (for me anyway) and to have that on any teams CV is a big thing. Just ask Fresinger. The FIA SCC I agree with u on though, all barring the Spa 1000km race, because that had some quality entries and strong competition.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 17:26 (Ref:778021)   #40
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Err a lot of people care about wins in the FIA GT series - thats why the series is so strong. I mean like it or not the Spa 24hrs now is the 2nd most important endurance race to win in the world (for me anyway) and to have that on any teams CV is a big thing. Just ask Fresinger. The FIA SCC I agree with u on though, all barring the Spa 1000km race, because that had some quality entries and strong competition.
The FIA GT series is important, as that, a series. However individual race wins do not mean as much as wins in the old 1000KM races were.

The aim of the LMES is too make these races attractive/important in there own right, not just as part of a series.

Thats why I can see FIA GT teams racing in the odd LMES race at least, due to there importance.

Spa is an important race in its own right, like LM and Sebring. FIA GT were very clever to jump onboard when the race was at a low ebb and develop it back to its best.

Last edited by JAG; 9 Nov 2003 at 17:28.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:17 (Ref:778128)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
The FIA GT series is important, as that, a series. However individual race wins do not mean as much as wins in the old 1000KM races were.

The aim of the LMES is too make these races attractive/important in there own right, not just as part of a series.

Thats why I can see FIA GT teams racing in the odd LMES race at least, due to there importance.

Spa is an important race in its own right, like LM and Sebring. FIA GT were very clever to jump onboard when the race was at a low ebb and develop it back to its best.
I never said that a race win in FIA GT (not including Spa 24hrs) was as important as a LM 1000KM race win. I think BMS, Lister, Care Racing, Fresinger, TMC etc would all agree though that a indavidual race win is as important as a ALMS race win. (not including Petit LM and Sebring).
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:18 (Ref:778129)   #42
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or any other race that would earn an automatic invite to the 24 hour race which is what really matters ... shame

Last edited by Es Nes; 9 Nov 2003 at 20:19.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 01:48 (Ref:784726)   #43
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of a few race and street Porsche GT1s being offered for sale. I know the Byztek brothers in Canada own like 4-6 race Porsche GT1s! I don't quite know how they could afford them... But I don't see any race MB Clk GTR's being offered for sale though? Anyone know what happened to those cars? Ditto for the Toyota GT1, Nissan R390, Toyota Elise GT1 and Panoz GTR-1. I was just curious...