Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Aug 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1077434)   #26
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Historic GT
FIA Historic Tourers
Formula Junior
Can Am
BRDC Sportscars
HGPCA
Sports Protype 60 to 65ish

All cars would be rigorously scrutineered to weed out the 'not so kosher cars'! All cars to run on tyres that they ran on in period as much as possible i.e. Dunlop L sections. No bloody semi slick things that some categories of historic racing (MG's, Astons etc) are allowed to run. Those tyres should not be on ANYTHING pre 70 if you ask me.

The circuit would be either Brands GP or Spa.

As a special event, I would invite the Moto GP boys to come along and do their thing as their is no finer modern motor sport in my opinion.

Lastly it would be a condition that I get to drive in each category.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 07:50 (Ref:1110910)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
2hour Spa 6 hour type race
30 to 52 FIA Sports cars
To 61 single seater race
Top Hat saloons
F1 to 1976
70.S sports cars

250 Cars, all different,at Silverstone G.P.,Oulton or Brands and full grids.Alternative is a good sponsor and go to Charade or Dijon
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1111251)   #28
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slippy Diff
Does that include the Moto GP ?
I have to agree re tyres . Some of the tyres race at Spa 6 hour had no place at a Historic meeting.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1111254)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, there was a lot of grief due to tyres at Spa this year.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1111409)   #30
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
All tyres should be standard.Problem at spa was that organisers gave written permission for Yoko's and Housiers to be used but not all competitors received the information.The FIA tyre regs need to be changed .By the way Dunlops are very slightly slower than Yokos in dry but slower in damp conditions.Most of the cars change to Avons in the wet.Interesting that most of the cars that stayed on the new rubber rearranged their bodywork durring the rain
Old 30 Sep 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1111628)   #31
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula's Atlantic and Junior please.
Can we have it on the old GP weekend at Silverstone to remind what we have been missing for years, Racing.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1111718)   #32
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ianselva
Slippy Diff
Does that include the Moto GP ?
I have to agree re tyres . Some of the tyres race at Spa 6 hour had no place at a Historic meeting.

Can you imagine a 45 minute race for Rossi and his mates at Spa??

Dunlop L or M for ALL historic racing, no buts. If the FIA Historic GT's and Tourers can manage it, then so can everyone else. Whether it is wet or dry. If somebody wants to race with sticky semi slicks on the car, then go an race a Fiesta or something. I am very passionate about this subject.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 05:40 (Ref:1111929)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I beleive you are correct for pre 70's because it matches the period.

Post 70's should run a treaded profile similar to that in period and the Dunlop D84 is a good example. The Yoko A008R is also a similar type. They are about as sticky as a period slick would have been but do not provide the grip of the D98 which is the "semi" slick I believe you are referring to.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 05:41 (Ref:1111930)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And no. With the greatest respect I caouldn't see the relvance of Moto GP in an "Historic" event.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:05 (Ref:1111962)   #35
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about a day at Silverstone, on the GP circuit for,
Euro Boss
TGP
The old "Force" series F1 cars
1.5 ltr. GP cars
Front Engined GP cars.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1112000)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No Euroboss. Not now, never, noooooooooooooo. Smaller grids than F1 and dare I say less entertaining.

We'd need some sportscars and saloons too.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1112006)   #37
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rbs
How about a day at Silverstone, on the GP circuit..
Yes but can we change Silverstone back to how it is supposed to be? The modern Becketts is fine, in true fast Silverstone sense - but the 'vale' and 'stadium' complex -please rid of them and give us the true big balls Stowe, Club and Woodcote corners back.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1112009)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in respect to tyres FIA allows Avons as well for races over 1 hour which I gather are much better in teh wet. But in principle I agree as much standardisation as possible in all areas has to be a good thing. This is why tin tops next year in european events like Top Hat should be a more level playing field and as a result better racing
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1112034)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
and consistent drifting through bends Simon!

or, as has been observed at a few events, synchronised spinning !!!
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1112044)   #40
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have a one-day 'club' meeting organised for the Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit on April 24th 2005. Book your races now !

This will be a BRDC event and will form part of our 2005 season along with the following:

March 19th - BRDC Marshals' Club (National Circuit)
April 24th - BRDC Grand Prix Circuit Club(GP and Historic)
July 29-30 - BRDC 500 Summer Races (National)
November 4-6 - BRDC Walter Hayes Trophy (National)

James.Beckett@brdc.co.uk
www.brdc.co.uk
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:56 (Ref:1112045)   #41
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent James - looking forward to seeing you at the WHT.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1112047)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
JEB,

how the devil are you?

Sadly the old Dagenham Donkey wouldn't qualify for your event but good luck and if I'm back in the UK maybe I'll get time to look in.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1113125)   #43
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Note all the tyres used in the Spa race were within the regs, its just the new FIA regs and subquent ammendents are not sensible.The idea presumably was to placate the tyre manufacturers.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1114592)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James
will 60's sportsracers and Appendix K saloons have races at all these meetings? Looking fwd to the WHT
Old 4 Oct 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1114638)   #45
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

500 Summer Race on National surly this should be the GP Historic cicuit if it is to become a "Coys" type Festival against the Oldtimers the folllowing week.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1114807)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

I would tend to agree with John, it will be hard in the long run to attract competitors to the National. The HSCC Super Prix at Brands is so well supported because its on the GP circuit...
Old 5 Oct 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1115640)   #47
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting points about the BRDC 500 Summer Races, but this has been designed as a National Circuit meeting - not a Grand Prix Circuit event.

The 500 Summer Races offer 'quick fire' races, with short lap times, on a circuit that offers some of the closest racing seen in the UK. Believe me - I watch a lot of it !

The BRDC 500 Summer Races, by taking place on the National Circuit, allows the Club to offer low entry fees for competitors - lower than any other organiser - while keeping up the standards expected of a BRDC historic event.

The 2005 BRDC 500 Summer Races will take place on Friday 29th and Saturday 30th July. Friday will offer testing for competitors - all included in your entry fee! A full day of racing, parades and demonstrations on Saturday, culminating with a party at the BRDC Clubhouse Marquee.

2004 was very much a 'toe in the water' year, and the event received some great publicity. This BRDC is set to grow, and further details can be obtained from me on:

Simon - regarding attracting competitors - I don't envisage that will be a problem. I have been flooded with enquiries for races following the 2004 event.

James.Beckett@brdc.co.uk
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1115913)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Now understand position and agree that you can fill the grids so is it possible to get Bob Wood or Duncan Whiltshire to organise pre war race at the earlier GP circuit meeting.One 45min race.?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1115937)   #49
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone mentioned 'optional dress code'. This only works at Goodwood because of the whole 'theme park' or 'film set' ambience. It would not work at any modern circuit and I think would discourage potential customers.

This of course assumes that, unlike the HSCC, you are interested in the views of a humble spectator.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1115999)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

James, I am sorry I phrased it badly. I have no doubt it will be a success as last years inaugral one was. However when you think back to the glorious days of the Coys, which is what I thought it was looking to ultimately replace, its a great shame its not on the GP circuit. Having said that your April meeting is so I shouldnt be greedy!!!