Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2001, 09:06 (Ref:129136)   #26
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi-Audi, thats a combination I'd love to see, as for a Minardi works team? Not too sure how effective that would be, Toyotas engine is still way off pace with a hellava lot of development and a full years testing. I hate to conform with the crowd, but bring on Ferrari and get battling in the mid-field
Old 12 Aug 2001, 12:28 (Ref:129198)   #27
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
Apparently (according to RJ the owner of www.forzaminardi.com) Tyrrell were considering building their own engine at the end, so when PS bought their equipment, he also purchased an entire engine dept.

Well not quite a whole department. A lot of the Tyrell people moved to work at European Racing, and there must have been some engine people in there
What PS actually bought was all the tools and machinery from Brian Hart's engine company, so in theory at least they are quite capable of building an engine that will work, get them round the track, and qualify them within 107%. The question is whether or not they can build one to take on the might of a major manufacturer's MotorSport division. Building one to beat Renault Sport does't look as if it would be that difficult at the moment. Beating a Bavarian Motor that Works would be an entirely difficult kettle of fish I think...
Old 12 Aug 2001, 23:27 (Ref:129409)   #28
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this has all been one huge misunderstanding.
I read the Paul Stodard quote too(allthough I dont have it to share with everybody). What he meant was that a development of his current engine is still an option. I dont think he meant he would start from scratch.
When I read this I remember him saying that AMT wasnt an option because he can get more power from developing his current engine.
With Yoong's sponsor money, a Ferrari motor is a possibility. They would make much better use of it than Prost has.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:13 (Ref:129861)   #29
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MichaelC - all Mr Stodard bought from Brian Hart were two engine test beds and not alot else. I cannot belive that Paul Stodard thinks he can build his own engine that will compete with the engines that are out there now. Along with drafting in Alex Yoong, I am begining to think that theres a little bit of F1 inexperience here. Considering he said that he wanted Minardi to move up the grid, I think they are strange things to say and do. Ok, Yoong is for the bucks, but come on, a little more creative thinking could get him a better engine straight away. Putting Lotterer in the car and getting Jags like I think Arrows will do would be a better way to go straight away.

I know its not a simple problem to solve, but to join the big boys you have to think like the big boys.