Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3126274)   #26
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anyone know if the triumph driver is ok? And how on earth it happened? Looked like a nasty and fast one.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3126422)   #27
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebullet View Post
Anyone know if the triumph driver is ok? And how on earth it happened? Looked like a nasty and fast one.
I was the Triumph driver, and I am, basically, OK. You are correct in that it was both fast and nasty! After spending the remainder of the day in hospital being checked over, I was released with just bad bruising and grazing, but nothing broken at least. Struggling to breathe with the ribs bruised as they are, but I'll get over that.

It was, without doubt the biggest shunt I've ever had, and the only one that's put me in hospital. And I've had a few! I'd prefer not to have another one like it!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the marshals who helped at the scene, along with the paramedics, doctors and everyone else who dealt with the incident swiftly, efficiently and professionally. Although there was no concussion, I was initially a little dazed in the immediate aftermath and after being put on oxygen as I was struggling to breathe, I did get a little light-headed and I'm told I started coming out with some gibberish to the doctors about how they weren't old enough to be doctors! It was just my attempt at humour, but apologies to all concerned if it didn't quite come across that way! I hope all who were in attendance will cut me some slack - I was in quite some pain at the time!

As drivers, I think we sometimes can take many of the volunteers and medical people for granted, and it's only after being involved in an incident such as this that we realise just what a vital role you guys 'n' gals perform. My hearfelt thanks go to anyone who assisted during this process, and if you happen to be reading this and know one of the people concerned who doesn't happen to frequent this forum, then please feel free to pass on my sentiments to them.

It really is quite a humbling experience to have people you've never met and don't know showing concern for your condition after something like this happens - I'm eternally grateful to you all.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3126431)   #28
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I was the Triumph driver, and I am, basically, OK. You are correct in that it was both fast and nasty! After spending the remainder of the day in hospital being checked over, I was released with just bad bruising and grazing, but nothing broken at least. Struggling to breathe with the ribs bruised as they are, but I'll get over that.

It was, without doubt the biggest shunt I've ever had, and the only one that's put me in hospital. And I've had a few! I'd prefer not to have another one like it!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the marshals who helped at the scene, along with the paramedics, doctors and everyone else who dealt with the incident swiftly, efficiently and professionally. Although there was no concussion, I was initially a little dazed in the immediate aftermath and after being put on oxygen as I was struggling to breathe, I did get a little light-headed and I'm told I started coming out with some gibberish to the doctors about how they weren't old enough to be doctors! It was just my attempt at humour, but apologies to all concerned if it didn't quite come across that way! I hope all who were in attendance will cut me some slack - I was in quite some pain at the time!

As drivers, I think we sometimes can take many of the volunteers and medical people for granted, and it's only after being involved in an incident such as this that we realise just what a vital role you guys 'n' gals perform. My hearfelt thanks go to anyone who assisted during this process, and if you happen to be reading this and know one of the people concerned who doesn't happen to frequent this forum, then please feel free to pass on my sentiments to them.

It really is quite a humbling experience to have people you've never met and don't know showing concern for your condition after something like this happens - I'm eternally grateful to you all.
Glad to hear you are ok! get well soon
Old 28 Aug 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3126444)   #29
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, from what I was told you got out when the words "we have to get the roof off" was said. The Jaguar Driver that let rip with 2 oil slicks on each out lap was last seen being run out of the Paddock.
to get a 20 min race into a program then only finish 9 min down at the end is down to a team effort, you are all part of that team so thanks, hope to see you at Donington. Hog roast after racing on the Saturday.
Robert Williams
Officials and Marshals Coordinator.
Clerk of Course,
Classic Sports Car Club.

Last edited by Rob Williams; 28 Aug 2012 at 17:54. Reason: missing part and cant spell
Old 28 Aug 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3126455)   #30
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, Brian & I are very pleased to hear you are not too badly hurt - which is more than can be said for the car. we both wish you a speedy recovery.

With reference to the oil slicks ........ lessons in how to dress it at speed can be given by appointment!!! Except my boots now need washing and my overalls set hard in the Safety Car

Roll on Donington!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3126473)   #31
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
must be the first meeting this year without the safety car
Old 28 Aug 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3126474)   #32
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Picnic by the lake was nice, watching the maggots and worms having swimming lessons!
otherwise.......
Old 28 Aug 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3126494)   #33
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Great to hear you are ok, I was on scene and it seemed to be a very slick operation with the two rescue teams and the various doctors. I believe JimW was controlling the situation. Was good to see you climb out before it was turned into a convertable!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3126500)   #34
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I was the Triumph driver, and I am, basically, OK. You are correct in that it was both fast and nasty! After spending the remainder of the day in hospital being checked over, I was released with just bad bruising and grazing, but nothing broken at least. Struggling to breathe with the ribs bruised as they are, but I'll get over that. . .
Hi Paul

Good to hear that you are OK, even if in pain at the moment.

(Sorry about the door!)

Best wishes

Jim Whitaker
Old 28 Aug 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3126515)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce George View Post
Paul, Brian & I are very pleased to hear you are not too badly hurt - which is more than can be said for the car. we both wish you a speedy recovery.

With reference to the oil slicks ........ lessons in how to dress it at speed can be given by appointment!!! Except my boots now need washing and my overalls set hard in the Safety Car

Roll on Donington!
I thought it was a nice touch to send out the Icecream van as the oil spill was being cleaned up. A shame it didn't make all the way around the circuit.

I was told a little later that the engine that inadvertently produced the slippery output holds 3.5 gallons of oil. (In decimal measures - a lot) so even if only half of it disappeared that would still be rather a lot of slipperiness.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3126537)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
We'll be there!
Great to see you, it'd been ages.

As you could probably tell gearbox woes struck again towards the end. I had to hold it in second in the hairpin, so I apologise for my dodges lines!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 20:46 (Ref:3126544)   #37
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought it was a nice touch to send out the Icecream van as the oil spill was being cleaned up. A shame it didn't make all the way around the circuit.

I was told a little later that the engine that inadvertently produced the slippery output holds 3.5 gallons of oil. (In decimal measures - a lot) so even if only half of it disappeared that would still be rather a lot of slipperiness.
I'm reliably informed it was a high pressure oil pipe that let go!! At least he only made it to the pit exit on Monday - only trouble was the other Jags drove through the oil on the formation lap! Ah well, they are still nice cars!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3126547)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got a few photos, anyone here?

Everyone was very welcoming, especially Andy who lent us a welder.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346186945.935949.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346186968.345324.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346186982.485924.jpg  

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346186992.460833.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346187013.733718.jpg  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3126759)   #39
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A great weekend at the Hairpin - despite the radio problems!

Plenty of good close, clean racing, as usual with CSCC. Lots of entertaining moments: Joss Ronchetti's spin on the green flag lap, the TVR progressively understeering more as the race progressed ("when, not if" will he go off), the Ginetta driver who, the more he got it wrong, the faster he was . . .

Disappointment of the weekend was car 360 - he steadfastly refused to spin, thus denying me the opportunity of the best radio call of the meeting!

Now, about those radios! Saturday wasn't too bad apart from more dead spots than you could shake a stick at. Sunday, however . . . waiting for a radio check which I never heard, one of the flaggies said I'd missed it, so try contacting RC - nothing! Look at the radio, see that it's on channel 3, so check with the flaggie which channel we should be on, switch to channel 1 & try again - nothing! Flaggie says RC is trying to contact me, try again, nothing, but I can hear both myself & RC on the flaggie's radio. . . turns out my radio is transmitting but not receiving!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3126940)   #40
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great weekend as usual, even the weather 'almost' behaved lol.

Thanks again if it's needed to the guys n girls that sorted out Paul's little excursion - I stopped taking photo's once the car had come to a standstill - sorry, I tend to stop shooting at that point 'just in case'.

See you all at Donington

.DAVID.

PS: Galleries for Sunday and Monday should be finished uploading by this evening - HERE

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3127026)   #41
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it Jay Kay aka Jamiroqaui that landed in the helicopter on Monday ?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3127069)   #42
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what I was told.

Jim
Old 29 Aug 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3127075)   #43
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone for all of your kind comments. I am on the mend and feeling a little better each day.

Oh, and Jim - no worries on the door. I think it was pretty well f***ed anyway!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3127083)   #44
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1madmatt View Post
Was it Jay Kay aka Jamiroqaui that landed in the helicopter on Monday ?
Dont think it was as his car (or him) wasnt there.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3132878)   #45
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some photos here. From Sunday.

Quite a few of the oil spill cleanup efforts and for the rest - as wide a selection of subject /locations as seemed appropriate at the time. (I've left out the Moto-X bikes though ... )