Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:49 (Ref:831484)   #26
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Are Safety Car regs governed by the MSA or by the organising club?
Not all SC Regs are the same!
Unless there is something in the Supplementary Regulations to state otherwise the Safety Car regs are those contained in the Blue Book. This goes for anything else contained in SRs or the Blue Book in case anyone wants to know! (or cares!)

So the answer to your question is "YES"!!!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 13:07 (Ref:831496)   #27
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
but are you really going to sit (on the loo) and read it from cover to cover?
She is!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 13:45 (Ref:831531)   #28
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but are you really going to sit (on the loo) and read it from cover to cover?
I find it good to read if you cant sleep.

Mark if you do get a copy if you look for anything in a shaded box, this is stuff that has changed this year (I think) wish they would let you know when they remove stuff would make it easier or is that just asking to much.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 13:49 (Ref:831540)   #29
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Rosey, I knew that bit anyhow.
I guess the BB is more useful to you as a scrute!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:02 (Ref:831566)   #30
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by brickkicker
Mark if you do get a copy if you look for anything in a shaded box, this is stuff that has changed this year (I think) wish they would let you know when they remove stuff would make it easier or is that just asking to much.
Steve, you are right in what you say - anything that has changed in the current edition is shaded grey. However, you will find that deletions are also shaded grey just to make life easier for you. And don't forget that when you get your copy of the MSA Bulletin (or whatever its called these days) there will always be amendments in the back of it.

I did once ask the MSA why they don't publish the BB in loose leaf format and then just issue amendments as and when necessary but I forget what the answer is.

One of the best things I have to go with my Blue Book is an Alan Ward "index". Alan has devised an index which he prints on to A5 paper and it fits very neatly inside the cover. If anyone wants one I am sure Alan would be happy to let you have a copy - just ask him at the training days. Or if you don't know him, come and see me and you can have a copy of mine.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:45 (Ref:831617)   #31
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I find it hard to believe there is no Observer on post for 50% of the time
Someone who doesn't spend much time at Donington. As a trainee flag, I once got appointed as Observer, beacause I'd done the training course, and that was before the numbers started dropping like they are now. I've done flag and observer, even though I'd volunteered for incident, not knowing there was no-one to fulfil either role until arriving on post, and on one memorable day I was flag, obs and I/O. And everything else, in fact. I had to tell the driver to 'go over there and hold out that green flag while I sort your car out', and when I'd done that, I sent him back to watch over it with a fire bottle!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:55 (Ref:831628)   #32
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wooley......an all too familiar story at Donny.....that's how I started Observing!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:47 (Ref:831801)   #33
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No point asking me whats in the BB as I cant even find the flag section!!. Now which way up do I hold this book??.
RS
Old 8 Jan 2004, 23:58 (Ref:832167)   #34
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comment made that the FIA have their Yellow book on line I found interesting, could you point me to the location please. Went to FIA.com but couldn't see anything

Cheers
Old 9 Jan 2004, 08:41 (Ref:832418)   #35
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
....Now which way up do I hold this book??.
RS
This way dear boy!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 08:50 (Ref:832424)   #36
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't changes to regs & proceedures be passed on through the clubs. For example the Marshals Club could pass on info with their regular newsletters???
Old 9 Jan 2004, 12:19 (Ref:832573)   #37
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Holmes
Shouldn't changes to regs & proceedures be passed on through the clubs. For example the Marshals Club could pass on info with their regular newsletters???
That's a good idea. Have you posted it on the other thread about what we want from the BMMC?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:832883)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
B****y web designers

Quote:
Originally posted by pixie
The comment made that the FIA have their Yellow book on line I found interesting, could you point me to the location please. Went to FIA.com but couldn't see anything

Cheers
Pixie

I'm afraid it is one of these stupid websites which conceal the page identity. Therefore you will need to follow thes einstructions from http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html. This is the English home page. Go to Site Map. Then in the yellow rectangle headed Sport Automobile chose Technical and Sporting Regulations. Et voila, what I think of as the bits of the "Yellow Book" in which I am interested.

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:32 (Ref:832986)   #39
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about this from online catalogue MSA publications
(snip)
2004 MSA "Officials Yearbook" (Red Book)

This book continues as a companion to the MSA Competitors` Yearbook (the Blue Book). While the Blue book contines to detail all the Rules and Regulations relating to the Motor Sports Competitions, this book carries those sections that are applicable to Officials only. £10.00
(snip)

andy
Old 9 Jan 2004, 21:21 (Ref:833029)   #40
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim

Thanks for pointing me there.

Andy thanks for that, although I can see no reason why Marshals should pay any money to buy a book so they can enforce the rules of a Club, they should be given the book FREEE !!

Maybe the ACU can teach the car world something

Last edited by pixie; 9 Jan 2004 at 21:23.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 22:02 (Ref:833066)   #41
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Someone who doesn't spend much time at Donington. As a trainee flag, I once got appointed as Observer, beacause I'd done the training course, and that was before the numbers started dropping like they are now. I've done flag and observer, even though I'd volunteered for incident, not knowing there was no-one to fulfil either role until arriving on post, and on one memorable day I was flag, obs and I/O. And everything else, in fact. I had to tell the driver to 'go over there and hold out that green flag while I sort your car out', and when I'd done that, I sent him back to watch over it with a fire bottle!
Been there, done that!!!

Was asked:
Sign-On: "have you ever done flags before?"
Answer: " Yes, once"
Sign-On: "Great, Post 1 please"
Answer: "OK!!"

Arrive on Post to find.....

1 Experienced (VERY) Marshal
1 Novice

and.....

ME !!!!

The first telephone conversation was along the lines of:

" Hello, Yes, Post 1 here but...... before you go, I've just found out that I'm also the Observer here.....so... if you want a report you have two options......wait till the session is over or look out your window as I'm going to be rather busy waving flags !!!!!!!!!!!"

Needless to say, at no time did the Clerk have to stop at Post 1 to collect a report that day !!!!

But what this highlights is that at no time did I feel the need to attend the Observer's briefing as I was not one at that time!! I expected to be briefed (as a Flag Marshal) "on-post".
Old 12 Jan 2004, 12:39 (Ref:835302)   #42
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by andymfell
What about this from online catalogue MSA publications
(snip)
2004 MSA "Officials Yearbook" (Red Book)

This book continues as a companion to the MSA Competitors` Yearbook (the Blue Book). While the Blue book contines to detail all the Rules and Regulations relating to the Motor Sports Competitions, this book carries those sections that are applicable to Officials only. £10.00
(snip)

andy
It may well do but you still need to read it in conjunction with the Blue Book as most of the stuff in the Red Book is judicial and appeal related. The Blue Book is the definitive set of regulations and everything in National motorsport is governed by it.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:22 (Ref:835349)   #43
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Autosport probably 4 years ago now and at that time if you could show that you were a marshal....on production of the then BMRMC membership card you could get a copy of the blue book free.....which I did.....Is that scheme no longer in place??
Its good to have the book for gaining information and knowledge and as someone has suggested it did provide a reasonable cure for insomnia....
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:25 (Ref:835353)   #44
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Or for putting under that uneven table leg at dinner time
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:38 (Ref:835375)   #45
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or for putting under that uneven table leg at dinner time
Or if you had enough of them - to level up the caravan on the GP camp-site

Tags
blue book