Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2666909)   #26
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Old 5 Apr 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2667116)   #27
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few power-ups wouldn't go amiss. One driver with twice the power of the others for a lap could be fairly hairy.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2667140)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Death Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Light up gold spanners at various points in the circuit, off the racing line. Light them up at random and when a driver collects 3 then his KERS button gets activated for two shots.
How about Jason Statham's Death Race? That is, armoured cars, a huge armoured lorry, napalm, spikes, nitrous...
Old 5 Apr 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2667174)   #29
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is the ultimate answer to the endless debates about tarmac runoffs, just make them 20ft wide trenches filled with molten lava. You wouldn't even need armco just a debris fence beyond the lava to protect the crowd from flying objects.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2667439)   #30
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, I hope Bernie isn't reading this thread. He'd support each and every one of these ideas.

Actually, being serious, the original concept -- two routes -- isn't half bad. Don't worry about how it's used. Just install one on a track, perhaps as shown in the photo, and let the drivers figure out if and when it's advantageous to take one or the other route. Workable, and not as silly as Bernie's formalized shortcuts.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2667447)   #31
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
I suppose my logic is just that it is a more imaginative solution to the problem of overtaking than just tweaking the technical regulations (not saying thats a bad thing though ).

I can easily imagine my quick drawing on that last chicane in the new Nurburgring circuit (the circuit I based my first example on). If you have a look on Google earth, they changed the chicane to a slower one:

Of course, these two chicanes would not be the same length time-wise as each other, but it is a possible real world example. I think it could be used without being Mario-Kart-ish
it's a nice idea, but the only problem with the 2 chicanes idea is that the braking points would be different, so driver A is following driver B, and if they have a choice of either chicane, then we are very likely to have one driver braking whilst the other is still at full throttle, and the potential for mega accidents.

I think the essence of your idea, ie the different racing lines uninterrupted by aero wash is a good one. We saw in malaysia and have seen in the past that multiple lines through corners does allow for very good racing. People bring up formula ford quite a bit, and it's the ability of those cars to take vastly different lines which is one of the reasons why they're so entertaining.

I quite like the "extra wide" bubble corner idea - where the 2 cars basically go through a carpark width corner where multiple lines can be taken, perhaps even a slight banking around the outside of the corner, so the inside is the faster line, but the outside can generate a better run at the car ahead.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2667519)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Here's a novel idea, simplify the diffuser design, make the rear wing smaller, and give the cars bigger rear tyres!
There is no place for common bloody sense in this thread.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2667586)   #33
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paint a white line down the middle of the corner - no crossing the line. Inside or outside - you make your choice and you stick with it.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2668459)   #34
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracer View Post
I quite like the "extra wide" bubble corner idea - where the 2 cars basically go through a carpark width corner where multiple lines can be taken, perhaps even a slight banking around the outside of the corner, so the inside is the faster line, but the outside can generate a better run at the car ahead.
I haven't heard of that before - that sounds feasible.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2673647)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

If Bernie wants video game style F1, what about monoque mounted machine guns/rocket launchers, force fields, cloaking devices and super strong bananas and oil slicks to dispose the rival drivers?

Or bring Mario and his beloved kart. "Yahhhoooo!"
Old 16 Apr 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2673657)   #36
csirl
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Banked corners is a good idea - bank angle should be such that there are two equally viable racing lines.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2673688)   #37
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make the corners progressively banked though, i.e, the outisde line would be more banked than the inside line, this allows lines pretty much anywhere on the corner.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2673691)   #38
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the extra post, its a little off topic too, but, would it be possible to make run off areas significantly shorter if the run off areas got progressively steeper as you approach the barrier, i.e, using gravity to slow the car down in conjuction with some high grip paint or gravel or something.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2673699)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If Bernie wants video game style F1, what about monoque mounted machine guns/rocket launchers, force fields, cloaking devices and super strong bananas and oil slicks to dispose the rival drivers?
Something like this?

Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2673776)   #40
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Sorry for the extra post, its a little off topic too, but, would it be possible to make run off areas significantly shorter if the run off areas got progressively steeper as you approach the barrier, i.e, using gravity to slow the car down in conjuction with some high grip paint or gravel or something.
Zandvoort uses those but only out of necessity.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2673779)   #41
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Funnily enough thats where I got the inspiration from :P
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2673808)   #42
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
nicky, that absolutely makes sense, and I support that. Have in mind that the spectator zone would need to follow the progressive baking, or they wouldn't see anything on track (think ovals).
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2673815)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I prefer the videogame instead.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2673822)   #44
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I think this is the ultimate answer to the endless debates about tarmac runoffs, just make them 20ft wide trenches filled with molten lava. You wouldn't even need armco just a debris fence beyond the lava to protect the crowd from flying objects.
And jet packs for the marshals to get over the trench - any car that just stops on the edge of the track can then be pushed into the lava
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2673830)   #45
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
nicky, that absolutely makes sense, and I support that. Have in mind that the spectator zone would need to follow the progressive baking, or they wouldn't see anything on track (think ovals).
Or have spectators on the inside of the track like at the final corner at Sepang? Saves the complex stands and is also safer?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2673834)   #46
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
better:

フェラーリX-Racerコンセプト

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/06/0...lying-ferrari/
Old 16 Apr 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2673839)   #47
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Isn't that the Delta Wing concept?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2673847)   #48
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol.

I like the Delta Wing concept actually. Its that kind of radicalism that I'd like to see in F1. If anyone watched Wacky Races when they were younger, you know the kind of radicalism I mean ?

Wacky Races - now thats a "series" I'd watch!

Last edited by dyewat808; 16 Apr 2010 at 19:30.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2674236)   #49
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Get Kimi back in an Ice Cream Van