Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1244702)   #26
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think today's race was a strange one, and teams just need time to adapt. I didn't think much of the qualifying, especially aggregate times. It was also quite confusing.

Maybe they should be tried for a while, as it's not really fair to make judgements based on a sample of one.

Last edited by DriverT; 6 Mar 2005 at 17:54.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1244706)   #27
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly the most boring televised racing broadcasts I have ever, ever seen.

1.5 hours of (not enthralling) racing and 2 (ish) hours of what?? Jim, Louise, James (the snooze fest) Allen, et al. the Melbourne Cricket Club ('scuse me I thought this was a Grand Prix!!!!!!!).

The rules do suck, they are going to be manipulated by whoever is the intelligencia magnate in each team and good luck to them. If BAR get away with it (and why should they not - it is THE RULES), then other teams will follow.

The FIA need to gpull their fingers out - and quickly - which should give Paul something else to gripe about.

Fisi did a good job and so did all the rest considering the conditions.

Rant over.

Last edited by Pitstop; 6 Mar 2005 at 17:57.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1244722)   #28
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
They should abandon this foolish 2 race per weekend rule and revert back to the 1 race engines from bahrain onwards.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1244723)   #29
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC

Has anyone looked at the lap times through the race? Were the times dropping alot towards the end as one would expect from stuffed tyres?
Many did their fastest laps at the end of the race. See here

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 6 Mar 2005 at 18:17.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1244727)   #30
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoshinvon
Last year was way better than this year. New rules suck for lots of reasons. THE CARS ARE VERY VERY VERY SLOW IN THE CORNERS COMPARED TO LAST YEAR AND IT HURTS TO WATCH IT, IM BETTER OFF WATCHING IRL THIS IS BS. LESS DOWNFORCE?!?!?! WOW TEAMS USE USE THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY TO CREATE AS MUCH DOWNFORCE AS THEY FREAKIN WANT LIKE WTF, CARS ARE UGLY SLOW AND TWITCHY NOW.. DID I MENTION NOBODY IS OVERTAKING PEOPLE, OTHER THAN IN THE STUPID PIT STOP... LOOKS LIKE FOLLOW THE LEADER... I MISS WATCHING THE FERRARIS OF LAST YEAR SCREW THIS YEAR, I BET ANY MONEY IT WILL BE LONG AND BORING JUST LIKE THE OZ RACE!!!!!

Welcome to the forum. Please refrain from shouting.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1244769)   #31
smoshinvon
Rookie

smoshinvon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
niice nobody cares man!!!!,... hope something changes fast
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1244771)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Smoshinvon....I think you should rethink the content and style of your posts.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1244772)   #33
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone found anywhere that shows the actual laptimes from the second session? Webber I recall was fastest, with Fisichella 2nd. It's the best indicator (outside of those that set no laps) of who was at what pace this weekend
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1244784)   #34
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoshinvon
niice nobody cares man!!!!,... hope something changes fast
Nobody cares about what? That you shout? Have a look at our
FAQ
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1244786)   #35
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Has anyone found anywhere that shows the actual laptimes from the second session? Webber I recall was fastest, with Fisichella 2nd. It's the best indicator (outside of those that set no laps) of who was at what pace this weekend
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...28#post1243928
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1244791)   #36
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
They should abandon this foolish 2 race per weekend rule and revert back to the 1 race engines from bahrain onwards.
I've a better idea: just abolish the one engine rule totally.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1244807)   #37
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first impression ? boring, very boring...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1244829)   #38
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think:

Aero changes: Well, it was meant to make the cars harder to drive but judging by the lot of the drivers and what Fisi said in the press conference, the rules didnt really seem to do their job. Even in wet conditions, with the right tyres drivers were in control quite well.
OK, I will admit that on the exit of corners drivers did half spin quite reguraly (particularly the Jordans and McLarens) but they wern't all over the place. I will stick that rule as neutral in my opinion.

Qualifying changes: Oh yeah, for sure. I like it. Very nice to see some changes around the grid and this way it wont be ruined in one session. Fisi went fast in session 1 and, while some would argue that other had it bad, he was quick in Quali 2. Not as quick but still fast. And Trulli shone too. Nothing wrong there. Positive from me.

Tyres: Well, no drivers seemed to find it hard to handle the cars with worn tyres. Another neutral opinion. The pit stops arnt much faster though.

Engines: Only Albers retired due to mechanical reasons but are drivers being more cautious to keep their engines in good nik? I dont know. I can only comment further when we get to Malaysia.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1244851)   #39
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think the changes have resulted in what they planned im not to sure on the situation will wait a couple more races 1st but was a strange stailmate at the start !! hope it gets butter but i fear for the worst :S
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1244906)   #40
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking about this today and looking back from where we are now I think the rules have been going the wrong way for a long time and every attempt made to correct the situation inadvertantly makes matters worse.

Think back to the 80's and early 90's drivers had qualifying engines, qualifying tyres, they could play with the car to their hearts content between qualifying and the race and even had four grades of tyre to choose from for the race which they could elect to change mid race if the choice turned out to be wrong. Also they had to race with a full fuel load so that the qualifying setup bore no resemblance to what would be required for the race

Net Result was that just because a car was perfectly honed in qualifying didn't necessarily mean the set up would be perfect for the race.

I other words Just because some one was on pole by no means guaranteed he would be the fastest in race trim

Now adays the complete opposite is true. They can change nothing on the car between qualifying and the race even qualifying with race fuel on board

So if a car is perfect for qualifying it will also be perfect for the race

Now think about it If you put someone you know catagorically to have the fastest car on the front of the grid what is going to happen?

He's going to run away and hide

Don't get me wrong I understand the reasons for some of these changes and I accept the days of special qually engines and tyres are long gone never to return (which from a safety point of view is almost certainly the correct thing to do)

But surely Common sense must dictate that you must have some variability between qualifying and the race to have any hope of an exciting race

So to answer your question from an entertainment point of view the new regs are another step in the wrong direction
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1244907)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But there wasn't much overtaking in the late eighties or early nineties either.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1244914)   #42
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus that was Quick

But I would argue that there was a damn site more than there is now

Also You don't need over taking only the possibility of overtaking if the leader is 10 seconds down the road 3 laps into the race there is no opportunity to overtake him

If P2 is 0.5 seconds behind P1 then you have got an exciting race even if he never gets passed

Last edited by Hungary 89; 6 Mar 2005 at 20:49.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1244941)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The leader streaking away was because there was a slow Toyota in second place - that was a result of the weather in qualifying.

The races could be very exciting under the new rules.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1245052)   #44
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I dont think we can look on these statistically or strageically. Its whether or not they bring us close racing.
So far Melbourne is 1up for me. Just see what happens in Malaysia. A lot will be cleared up come Sepang!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1245058)   #45
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The leader streaking away was because there was a slow Toyota in second place - that was a result of the weather in qualifying.

The races could be very exciting under the new rules.
I wasn't pointing my comments at this race in particular merely making a general comment based on a thought I had.

You are right of coarse we may see some very exciting races I just think it is less likely than in the past

Do you not agree that it is likely that if you arrange the pack in an order that puts the person most likely to be fastest at the front and so on down the field that you will see a race in which the gap to the person infront of you just gets increasingly larger and that is a pattern that will replicate all the way down the field

15 years ago (My God has it been that long) Pole was decided under one set of circumstances the race was run under a completely different set of circumstances therfore the person on pole had just earned the right to the advantage. But it wasn't pre-ordained that he had the fastest car in race trim.

Nowadays That IS preordained as race trim and qualifying trim are the same thing

Last edited by Hungary 89; 6 Mar 2005 at 22:57.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1245060)   #46
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Intereseting racing today. Although there was a lack of actual overtaking on track.

Very reminisant of racing in the mid eighties with turbos and limited fuel.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1245084)   #47
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new rules suck.
its gonna take a few more races for everyone to agree on this thou
Old 6 Mar 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1245093)   #48
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed the way the race played out. Although I would have much rather seen the action unfold with a more legitimate grid. I say go back to quals from last year, or some other option.

The one tire rule is very interesting. The two race weekend per engine rule is just an evolution of the one engine per race weekend rule. So I don't have a problem with that. Although the "loophole" in the rule is troublesome.

Fix quals and I'd be much happier.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1245214)   #49
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the qualifying rules are terrible. To have a qualifying session where drivers pull into the pits rather than complete their lap is farcical, and treats fans at the track and on tv with contempt (note the rules not the teams) – very short-sighted at least, for surely they considered this possibility? Another drawback is that after Saturday you are in limbo – nothing has been decided. Perhaps it will improve with familiarity but I think it upsets the “rhythm” of the weekend – there is very little time to discuss and digest the final grid positions with a couple of hours before the race.

To have the teams manipulate the two-race engine rule makes a mockery of it and I fail to see how it makes a substantial reduction in the end costs – seeing as how so great a percentage is expended on development. I definitely agree with not allowing engine changes during the weekend to eliminate quali engines and the attendant costs though.

The one-tyre rule seems ok, I don’t think it has much impact as the lap times seemed to rise and fall with fuel loads more than anything.

It makes me laugh when there are complaints of cars not being stable with the new aero & tyre rules though! It simply means the rules are effective and speeds are being reduced.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1245234)   #50
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't like the engine and tyre rules at all.

They both discourage racing and encourage drivers to circulate in preservation mode.

And they discourage running at all on Fridays.

I don't have much of a drama with the aero regs, and I am prepared to give the qualifying format a little more time to find its feet.