Old 27 Sep 2007, 04:54 (Ref:2024045)   #26
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
This is obviously a cunning use of the expression "must read" that I was not previously aware of.
+1.

I let my subscription to F1 Racing lapse about 18 months ago. Not overly fussed that I don't receive it in the mail any more, and I don't think I've bought an issue since. Any news I want to read, I either click on grandprix.com or the Guardian's website.

Good luck to Matt Bishop, though. McLaren might feel the need for some positive PR after recent events.

EDIT: I posted before I saw Gt_R's comments. Completely agree.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:51 (Ref:2024081)   #27
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
It this based on UK readership or worldwide? 2007 figure can only be accurate after the year has pass.
I believe its worldwide and the 2007 figure is up to and including last month. There's more details from the source I posted earlier in the thread.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2024085)   #28
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Yes, that article he did on Schumacher after Brazil 2006 was particularly offensive.
Good use of the 10-10ths search facility there

To be fair that was bad by even his standards. In an ideal world he'd team up with James Allen and set up their own publication/channel so that I could read Autosport without closing my eyes and watch ITV without closing my ears
Old 27 Sep 2007, 08:27 (Ref:2024151)   #29
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this will lead to F1 Racing becoming more readable?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2024167)   #30
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Am i one of the few that thinks Matt got the job because Mclaren's trying to rebuild their reputation and salvage their reputation?
It seems to me that most people on here think that McLaren need a more positive approach to PR, and that's where Matt Bishop comes in. Lots of teams make new appointments when they're looking to rebuild/restructure/salvage/whatever you want to call it, it's not really as if McLaren are doing anything particularly unusual.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2024312)   #31
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
the second loss for Autosport after Nigel Roebuck announced he is off
That is genuinely terrible news.

Fifth Column is the first thing I read in Autosport every week. I don't always agree with him, but I always enjoy reading him.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2024518)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a pity that Nigel Roebuck is leaving. I enjoy reading his Fifth Columns and I thought this week's was a particularly succint but detailed summary of the complexities of Fernando Alonso.

Sometimes Fifth Column isn't so good- it's almost as if he merely states things rather than provides any new food for thought, but as a column that reflect the man's observations of that particular time, it's good stuff.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:52 (Ref:2024527)   #33
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
It's a pity that Nigel Roebuck is leaving. I enjoy reading his Fifth Columns and I thought this week's was a particularly succint but detailed summary of the complexities of Fernando Alonso.
I think you're getting confused with Mark Hughes's column, which is usually much better than Fifth Column.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2024529)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Both discussed Alonso this week.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:38 (Ref:2024560)   #35
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both discussed Alonso this week.
this week as in the one that came out today? or last weeks? They did last week anyway...and Mark Hughes got it pretty spot on.

I think they're both good, but I find it a bit farsical to elevate them to some supreme analyst status...as many of us mere mortals are observant enough to deduct the same things most of the time, without having the media access and inside contacts they are privy to...only, they have high exposure at their disposal!! Sometimes it makes me wonder what I'm paying for...

I like Peter Windsor as well in the same way, and even marginally more insightful at times; but maybe thats only because he gives the impression of being a well informed "insider" of the sport, as opposed to being just a very highly observant and analytical person. Although, don't get me wrong...even Peter on occasion can get caught up in the mass opinion of the moment, and leave objective analysis at the door. Thankfully it's rare...
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:45 (Ref:2024574)   #36
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were both discussed this week.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 14:49 (Ref:2025188)   #37
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
That is genuinely terrible news.

Fifth Column is the first thing I read in Autosport every week. I don't always agree with him, but I always enjoy reading him.
Me too its the thing I look forward to reading every week, I hope he changes his mind its a brilliant column.

Interesting that someone mentions Mark Hughes' column, I always try and read it but find it mind numbingly boring, I rarely get past the first couple of paragraphs.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2025191)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hughes can be an interesting read indeed. He only bothers me/bores me when he goes into fuel correction mode.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2025195)   #39
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hughes can be an interesting read indeed. He only bothers me/bores me when he goes into fuel correction mode.
he does have to come across as an "analyst"
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2025283)   #40
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Bish going to Mclaren where does that leave Ellen Kolby?
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:17 (Ref:2025439)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig
Me too its the thing I look forward to reading every week, I hope he changes his mind its a brilliant column.

Interesting that someone mentions Mark Hughes' column, I always try and read it but find it mind numbingly boring, I rarely get past the first couple of paragraphs.
Hughes is fascinated by the technical side of the sport, whereas Roebuck has always maintained that his real interest lies with the people involved in F1, rather than the cars. Therefore, I personally feel more of an affinity with Roebuck, but I do enjoy Mark Hughes's column as well.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:22 (Ref:2025442)   #42
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I'm slightly more of your "average fan" compared to some of you on here, who can probably recall most GP winners since 1950 But still, McLaren do come across as very dull.

I've actually found DC more interesting since he left, which says a lot, I feel. So perhaps they (McLaren) have realised this and decided to do something about it. Whether "The Bish" is the right person for the job I have no idea.

Bring back Murray, I say.

EDIT - varipus typs due to coming back from the pub.,

Last edited by Ingsy; 28 Sep 2007 at 23:25.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:31 (Ref:2025450)   #43
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsy
Perhaps I'm slightly more of your "average fan"

EDIT - varipus typs due to coming back from the pub.,
So "average fan" is also "Man down the pub" as well.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2026087)   #44
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
This a mega appointment. He'll bring changes, natch.

[Ed - Whether his direction is helpful or not waits to be seen, and could be good or bad depending on what happens. It could mega, or maybe not. It will become clear, natch.]