Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3375959)   #26
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many pubs,clubs,motels,hotels,holiday apartment buildings,resorts and associated operations such as sports cafes and commercial premises have Fox ?-might be interesting to factor that in !
Old 7 Mar 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3375977)   #27
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 24 houses in the block and I know all the owners/residents and only ONE(1) has Foxtel & that family are not into motor racing at all (into fishing). Talking too him about costs on Tuesday it came light now that he's been made redundant looking to cut costs (save money) maybe getting rid of Foxtel as can't justify the expense in these lean times. AS he said to me food & unavoidable expense's come first.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3375979)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
There are 24 houses in the block and I know all the owners/residents and only ONE(1) has Foxtel & that family are not into motor racing at all (into fishing). Talking too him about costs on Tuesday it came light now that he's been made redundant looking to cut costs (save money) maybe getting rid of Foxtel as can't justify the expense in these lean times. AS he said to me food & unavoidable expense's come first.
hey i have 24 houses on my block also, and 10 have foxtel some are into motorsport and some are not. None are looking to get rid of it
Old 7 Mar 2014, 04:19 (Ref:3376011)   #29
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The number of people who signed up for Foxtel in the year to the end of June [2012] grew by 1.3 per cent to 1.68 million.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/foxte...#ixzz2vDxbkKZM

From what I hear, the subscription rates have fallen from this figure, but we will leave that as conjecture!
Interesting part of that story was that their churn rates have just dropped below 13%! That's a big number to replace every year just to retain status quo.

I knew anecdotally that churn was high but didn't think it would be that big.

The problem goes back to people having to pay for what they don't want to get what they do and it's a luxury product.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3376013)   #30
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Interesting part of that story was that their churn rates have just dropped below 13%!
That number may be somewhat artificial as I understand many people cancel their subscription over the summer months, when less live sport is on, and/or cancel their subscription periodically to obtain a special deal to re-sign.

I know it works because I have done this a few times.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3376039)   #31
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Did you include a question about what they thought about the shift?

It will be interesting to see how this move plays with the sponsors!
They will all definitely double their sponsorship of all teams, after all one email from Peckstar, what more evidence would you nee that everyone is thrilled about the switch and will be signing up in their thousands.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3376099)   #32
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Well Jack Daniels has their head in the sand. Obviously following the V$upercars
spin doctors line.

Their reply below in bold.

Thanks for you're email regarding the new TV details for V8 Supercars.
As you may know the following V8 Supercar events, Adelaide, Townsville, Sandown, Bathurst, Gold Coast and Sydney will still be shown live on Network Ten under the new six-year Fox/Fox Sports/Ten agreement. While the remaining races will be telecast on Fox Sports.

Of the races shown on Fox Sports, a one-hour highlights package of these events will be screened at 8:30pm on One and 11:30pm on Ten on the Saturday and Sunday nights of the events. Sunday's will also see the one-hour highlights package broadcast on Ten from 4:00pm.

The above will deliver a significant increase in overall TV coverage and as such media value.

Although we would love for every race to remain on free to air TV, more and more consumers are watching V8's via digital mediums [i.e. V8 Supercars app or via Twitter]. As such the sport needed to adapt to these changing trends while still returning investment to the share holders and positioning the sport for the years to come.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3376134)   #33
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
As such the sport needed to adapt to these changing trends while still returning investment to the share holders and positioning the sport for the years to come.
Not sure how this is supposed to transpire seeing as how PayTV uptake in this country has decreased every year since 2009 - how does that relate to returning investment 'in the years to come' relative to sponsor involvement and actual viewing numbers?
Likewise, the sport needing to adapt to changing trends ... what now, V8Supercars needs to align itself with a yearly changing trend downwards in subscription rates to - in a majority of cases - unaffordable Foxtel packages?

Wow ... Warbsy must've dangled more than a Parc Ferme` carrot in convincing people (queue networks & sponsors) who should know much better than that.

A fool and their money are soon parted *shrug* I guess corporate sponsorship will be finding that out over the course of the first year or two of the new arrangement.

One thing's for absolute certain though .. the people who could not afford PayTV before this 'deal' cannot all of a sudden snap their fingers and fork out $$ just because of V8Supercars.
As has been mentioned in this and other threads before - V8Supercars just ain't that big of a reason to find unavailable extra bucks, especially when there's utility bills to pay, kids to clothe, mortgages to pay and food needed for the table.

Foxtel, in that situation, either will be one of the first luxuries to go for a lot of people who are just hanging in there with it, or it won't even make it to 1st base for those who want it but cannot afford it (you know, the bread & butter families who have supported the series through the affordability of FTA in the decades past).

Quote:
The above will deliver a significant increase in overall TV coverage and as such media value.
Is it just me, or can anyone else see this as a completely skewed way of selling this new deal?

If they're talking PayTV, then sure, there is an increase in it ... there has to be given there's no live coverage on that medium yet!

However, for FTA, it doesn't convert into a significant increase - in fact, a 1 hour highlights package is less than half what we get now on FTA during each round - so I wonder what maths was used to put the massive Warby sell increase % out there for more TV coverage? Did they take the more than halving of FTA into account before they generously added the PayTV increase?

You see, it comes across as dodgy maths for again, the average consumer who is looking for simplicity, affordability and honesty and when it becomes too much to take in, or when the figures are just too rubbery to give a hoot about, then interest starts to (and is forced to) decline commensurately.

Time will tell, as in all things, but something seriously magical has to take place in order for this to work the way they foresee it, and I do not see any magicians lining up to pull V8Supercars out of their hats, nor do I see V8Supercars becoming something far more than they are now, in the space of a year, to attract more people to the PayTV show, as it were..

Last edited by sweetchuk; 7 Mar 2014 at 14:25.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3376246)   #34
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the pay tv options will give more overseas access
Old 8 Mar 2014, 05:28 (Ref:3376388)   #35
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
maybe the pay tv options will give more overseas access
Agreed and that would help the "global brands" Pepsi, Jack Daniels, etc.

Doesn't do anything for those sponsors who arn't global superbrands though.

I'm still emailing the sponsors though.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3376576)   #36
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know free to air ratings boxes are distributed throughout the Aussie population (I know this because I was offered one a couple of years ago but told them I couldn't be bothered as I download most of my viewing) but how do Foxtel get their ratings ? Does every single Foxtel box message back to headquarters letting them know what people are watching ?

Because if it does couldn't that be where V8 Supercars are planning to claim their watching eyeballs have risen compared to free to air ?
Old 9 Mar 2014, 06:01 (Ref:3376623)   #37
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed and that would help the "global brands" Pepsi, Jack Daniels, etc.

Doesn't do anything for those sponsors who arn't global superbrands though.

I'm still emailing the sponsors though.
Do you honestly think that is going to help?
So if you manage to get sponsors to jack up against V8SC who will it help?

If V8SC pull out of the Fox deal the legal ramifications will end the series.

All you really can achieve by going on your silly little crusade is potentially get a sponsor to pull out of the sport hurting it further......
Old 9 Mar 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3376687)   #38
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I will NEVER EVER pay to watch the V8Supercars, if it is not on free-to-air, then I ain't watching

**** 'em
Agree Trevor, we have never had pay tv, and don't intend to either.
Is v8s plan on having all the street races on free to air, so there will maybe be less people watching races at permanent circuits on tv?
Then again there could be bigger crowds at Winton, P.I, Qld Raceway, W.A, N.T, Tassie, N.Z, The Creek.
We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3376785)   #39
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post

All you really can achieve by going on your silly little crusade is potentially get a sponsor to pull out of the sport hurting it further......
IT'S not about getting the sponsors offside it's about putting them in the picture over the fact there will be less viewers on Foxtel compared to FTA & the sponsors possible loss of income/revenue from the smaller viewing audience. But your entitled to you opinion like everyone else on here but as I have already stated on this thread and others I will NOT be getting Fox to watch V8sc in 2015 and will not be watching the highly edited ch10 highlights at 8.30pm when the results will known at least 4hrs earlier.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3376883)   #40
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well with all the negatives time for a few positives.

All races, practice and qualifying live and ad free if you watch via Pay TV.

As a Foxtel subscriber already it's a win for me but not for everyone out there.

One thing I notice watching the current V8 replays via SPEED is that SPEED runs only half the ad breaks and we get Noon's commentating during the ad breaks.

One positive with a highlights package is it will hopefully cut out the crap but some races they would struggle to get an hours worth of highlights.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 02:34 (Ref:3376913)   #41
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Completely agree.Contacting sponsors might have had some effect before TV deal was signed but is a waste of time now.The pay/free to air split up will not change until the end of the new contract.Resume agitating in about 2018 although by then teams and sponsors would have worked out the ramifications of the new deal.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3376925)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Well Jack Daniels has their head in the sand. Obviously following the V$upercars
spin doctors line.

Their reply below in bold.

Thanks for you're email regarding the new TV details for V8 Supercars.
As you may know the following V8 Supercar events, Adelaide, Townsville, Sandown, Bathurst, Gold Coast and Sydney will still be shown live on Network Ten under the new six-year Fox/Fox Sports/Ten agreement. While the remaining races will be telecast on Fox Sports.

Of the races shown on Fox Sports, a one-hour highlights package of these events will be screened at 8:30pm on One and 11:30pm on Ten on the Saturday and Sunday nights of the events. Sunday's will also see the one-hour highlights package broadcast on Ten from 4:00pm.

Although we would love for every race to remain on free to air TV, more and more consumers are watching V8's via digital mediums [i.e. V8 Supercars app or via Twitter]. As such the sport needed to adapt to these changing trends while still returning investment to the share holders and positioning the sport for the years to come.
maybe its not jack Daniels who has their head in the sand. Maybe its you?
Old 10 Mar 2014, 04:26 (Ref:3376927)   #43
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
maybe its not jack Daniels who has their head in the sand. Maybe its you?
Looking at the below - I dont think so

Quote:
The above will deliver a significant increase in overall TV coverage and as such media value
Old 10 Mar 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3376931)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Looking at the below - I dont think so
actually that quote is true though

Quote:
The above will deliver a significant increase in overall TV coverage and as such media value
there will be more tv coverage. Practise sessions live (not currently shown except at a couple of key events) , qualifying live and not a highlights package, no ads during races thus more racing. Im not sure how any intelligent person could argue against that (unless their head is in the sand)

often those ads we see are competitors to the team sponsors
Old 10 Mar 2014, 05:02 (Ref:3376934)   #45
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:

And whats YOUR solution to this shafting of the fans?

I'm listening. But not holding my breath.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 05:05 (Ref:3376938)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
And whats YOUR solution to this shafting of the fans?

I'm listening. But not holding my breath.
Can i just say that you dont speak for the fans

Some fans are happy with the new deal, others are not.

However no fan will miss out on v8s, some will get less, some will get more
Old 10 Mar 2014, 05:29 (Ref:3376940)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
actually that quote is true though

there will be more tv coverage. Practise sessions live (not currently shown except at a couple of key events) , qualifying live and not a highlights package, no ads during races thus more racing. Im not sure how any intelligent person could argue against that (unless their head is in the sand)

often those ads we see are competitors to the team sponsors
They reference media value - regardless of how much content is provided if less eyeballs are watching it this results in less value.

By moving to Foxtel - there is zero chance you will have more people watching the events.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3376948)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
They reference media value - regardless of how much content is provided if less eyeballs are watching it this results in less value.

By moving to Foxtel - there is zero chance you will have more people watching the events.
sorry there is no evidence that less people will be watching events. In fact it may be more

just as many events will be shown on FTA, no change

The possibility is also there that events may get bigger crowds without having live FTA tv against it.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3376951)   #49
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
sorry there is no evidence that less people will be watching events. In fact it may be more

just as many events will be shown on FTA, no change
There is going to be reduced content on FTA with the highlights packages - you are kidding yourself if you think will result in no change to audiences - Especially when a large part of the audience who will already know the result of the races.

The live pay TV broadcast will be broadcast to a reduced audience (compared to the current channel 7 deal) with an increased content.

Quote:
The possibility is also there that events may get bigger crowds without having live FTA tv against it.
Good luck with the above train of thought, especially with V8SA events being so affordable.

I think AFL and Rugby League could be the benefactors.
You even will be able to watch Shannons Nationals events live and free of charge on Sunday afternoons.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3376953)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
There is going to be reduced content on FTA with the highlights packages - you are kidding yourself if you think will result in no change to audiences - Especially when a large part of the audience who will already know the result of the races.

The live pay TV broadcast will be broadcast to a reduced audience (compared to the current channel 7 deal) with an increased content.

Good luck with the above train of thought, especially with V8SA events being so affordable.

I think AFL and Rugby League could be the benefactors.
You even will be able to watch Shannons Nationals events live and free of charge on Sunday afternoons.
Actually im thinking the audience will be bigger with the highlights package. No need for casual viewer to waste their afternoon watching the telecast and all the fill, now you can just join in in prime time on a Saturday or late afternoon on a sunday and watch the sponsors product on TV. No evidence to suggest contrary.

Dont think anyone will be watching Shannons nationals while the v8s are on. Not sure too many people watch the Shannons Nationals anyway

Cant watch my AFL or NRL team on FTA live against the v8s either so thats a silly argument.