Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1050096)   #26
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Minardi and Jordan, they love racing. So they're average, but on the occasions that they shine, it puts a big smile on my face.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1050258)   #27
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
But Sauber are never going to win if they're heavily reliant on Ferrari input, which they may or may not currently be.
That is hard to argue with, you are rarely, if ever, going to beat the team that you buy last year's parts from...

But Sauber is a long way from seriously challenging Ferrari. They are fair way from seriously challenging for podiums. Maybe when they start to approach Ferrari's pace and reliability they should put some effort into figuring out how they will beat them. Until then...
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1050344)   #28
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well some good and fair points there!

Just to maintain perspective from my point of view - they used to be equal / ahead of Renault and now are trailing them by a fair way.

They will lose ground to Toyota soon. I'd stake dosh on that.

I still reckon they should be doing better with the 'hand-me-downs' they get.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 28 Jul 2004 at 21:29.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:39 (Ref:1050357)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Particularly with those tyres.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1050359)   #30
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't really understand it. Same engine as Ferrari, same gearbox, same tyres, same back-end, the ( according to some ) 'second-fastest man in F1', and they're way off the pace.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:49 (Ref:1050369)   #31
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, then what's the mystery - why only midpack?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1050378)   #32
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to launch into a long ramble about Ferrari bending the rules and being in-kahoots with the FIA, but...

I have no idea. Electonics??
Old 28 Jul 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1050384)   #33
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Don't go there!

It just goes to show having the right kit isn't the whole deal. I think Dave Richards has made some comments along that line in the last day or so.

Perhaps the blue and green paint is significantly thicker and heavier than the red!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1050412)   #34
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite having never had any type of Works backing. (Ford and Mercedes deals were only fleeting partnerships.) Sauber hav consistantly fought for the postions at the lower end of the top six/ten since their envolvement in F1. No other team outside the big four can boast this. Not even B.A.R or Jordan.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 23:50 (Ref:1050443)   #35
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm... they'r in a catch-22 situation if u ponder over it - if they'r as good as a front running team, would ferrari support them at all (ie, pete can challenge the likes of ferrari themselves on a considerably smaller budget, with last yr's parts, ferrari'd lose face, non?)?
Old 29 Jul 2004, 02:29 (Ref:1050472)   #36
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari engine is probably the best costumer engine out there for now (let's think... Ford... even older Ford... yes, it must be).. So they can't really go any futher until they get a works engine from someone (VW, as I don't see any other car makers with the resourses to go into F1). Jordan looked good with the Honda so it can be done.

I assume this years Ferrari clone is just an in-between car while they're getting their windtunnel up and running so it can be used on the 2005 car. If they continue with Ferrari clones I don't really see the big point in building that tunnel...
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1050632)   #37
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't understand why you guys seem to find it so puzzling: Same engine, tyres, transmission, chassis (well almost) as Ferrari... what is the biggest difference between Ferrari and Sauber? A really big difference? No - not Michael. Money.

Ferrari don't spend over $100M more than Sauber on nothing - tey spend it on testing and development which gives them seconds per lap.

It isn't the engine. Put it this way - if Ferrari were to run Sauber engines would they fall to mid-pack? Of course not - engine power is not by a long way the most influential factor over lap time.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1050690)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. Look at the comparative performances of Ligier and Williams in 1993/94.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1050769)   #39
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber were going downhill after a good start to the year(as they allways do!),but this year they have FINALLY got their wind tunnel opperating so they will now continue to make slow steady progress.Peter sauber metioned this very thing recently in an interview

The future is promissing but unfortunately still rather dull compared to other teams
The one and only big jump sauber have made was due to the huge weight loss program they had in 2001(?)-usually their results that year are wrongly attributed to the twin keel design but it was the sudden drop in weight and the resulting ballast they could use that made the difference.
Identical to Stewart in 99(?) in fact
Old 31 Jul 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1052661)   #40
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"They remain mid-pack year after year."
Minardi/Jaguar/Jordan/Toyota remain at the rear year after year.

Quote:"They have last year's Ferrari, which should be right up there but is underperforming."
They don't have "last year's Ferrari". They have customer engines and some parts, plus a car designed as close as Sauber could to be like Ferrari. But it's the details that can't be copied that makes a difference, because it's a Sauber afterall.

Quote:"They don't seem to communicate a passion to improve / win."
At least they don't make empty promises to bring the WDC/WCC crown, then fall flat on their faces.

Quote:"No-one ever seems to want to interview them!"
Hmm...strange, i remember reading quite a few articles on Peter Sauber, his team, his new windtunnel, his team's demo trips in Malaysia and China roads.

Quote:"They normally get drivers who have nowhere else to go!"
And they also get drivers that other teams later fight for. See Kimi/Fisi.

Quote:"They don't have the charisma of other 'lower' teams like Jordan, or even Minardi, which makes them attractive in the paddock."
I don't understand the attraction of teams that would twist their teams just to get pay drivers, who ***** about lack of money, who had done nothing to significantly improve their "attractiveness" to investors, and i don't find that charismatic.

Like it or not, Peter Sauber had done a great job in being the best non-works privateer team in the paddock for years after years...and that in itself is a huge merit.

It isn't easy to convince a big engine maker to supply good engines, it isn't easy to create a stable team backed by loyal sponsors and partners, it isn't easy to finance world-class facilities in a bid to fight the big-boys, and it isn't easy for a privateer team to survive in this manufacturer-dominating series.

Old 31 Jul 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1052684)   #41
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
So, then what's the mystery - why only midpack?
Because they don't have the people.

You've got the drivers and Peter Sauber - name as many people as you can who work at Sauber.

I can't think of anyone. Sergio Rinland sprang to mind, but he was a few years back...the last good car they built, actually.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1052990)   #42
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Peter sauber metioned this very thing recently in an interview
Hmmm, somebody interviewed Sauber? Must have been a slow news day...
Old 1 Aug 2004, 07:38 (Ref:1053081)   #43
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

GP - sad but true!

That's the thrust of what made me stick this thread up - to me the team just seems to lack some of the qualities that you expect in F1.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1053113)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

Anonymity and neutrality.

Two of the great things about Switzerland.

But I don't know they're such great traits for an F1 team!
Old 1 Aug 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1053114)   #45
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Interesting!

The IT company I used to work for was a 'pumped-up' US outfit and they moved the Europena technical excellence centre to Neuchatel in Switzerland.

Switzerland - Lovely looking, clean image, inherently rich, relaxed but quite boring and the general lack of passion. A bit of a stereotype - but not a gross one.

Is that Sauber?

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 1 Aug 2004 at 08:28.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1053151)   #46
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Switzerland - Lovely looking, clean image, inherently rich, relaxed but quite boring and the general lack of passion. A bit of a stereotype - but not a gross one.

Is that Sauber?
To the letter, yes. They certainly seem to do a good job with what they've got though.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1053184)   #47
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again, people criticise Sauber for "lack of passion" simply because they are not "LOUD" enough..not in the mold of Jordan (or rather, the Jordan of the past).

Tell me how Sauber lacks passion when compared to the likes of the modern jordan/minardi who's loud when complaining about funds, and how Sauber's passion lack when compare to the likes of Jaguar.

Instead, if people take a moment and look at the job Sauber had done, they had managed to put together a good job without the fuss and attention of their immediate rivals. They simply get on with their stuff and focusing on their needs instead of parading around the press.

Give any driver a choice of which non-works team to drive for, and Sauber would top their list. I think that's a better indication of the merits of Sauber.