Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:04 (Ref:829901)   #26
Don Capps
Rookie

Don Capps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am always a bit surprised when I step back and ponder the 1970's. It really was a very good era, actually stretching from about 1968 or 1969 to 1980. While the latter part of the era was not as satisfying as those years towards the begining, overall it was far better than it often given credit for being. With the exception of a few isolated years since then, not much to shout about with the advent of the new FIA F1 World Championship in 1981.

The gaggle of those who could participate by getting a DFV, a Hewland gearbox, and a chassis -- homebrewed or bought, is something I have always found as a great strength of this era and not something to be sneered at as some feel should be the case.

As should be expected, there was some low points and some high points, but overall I have to say that I find it hard to not smile whenever I think of that period....
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:43 (Ref:830750)   #27
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Hmmm. But to what extent is it a matter of natural progression? F1 cars couldn't now run on the Nordschleife; it would be absurdly dangerous. Likewise the old Spa-Francorchamps. We now say that what happened then would be unacceptable.
There is a danger in bemoaning the present day. Things change, often because they have to. I'd love to see a Porsche 917 at full chat round the old Spa, but I wouldn't force a driver to risk his life so that I could be gratified.
Oh please-they could race there but would have to adapt the car, and style, to the circuits.
As Bill France said when they protested the speeds at the then new Talledega,"The gas pedal goes both ways."

They are supposed drive the cars within the limits of the car and track. That is why they get paid to do it. And they do it because they think they have the ability.
No one forces them to be there, if they do not want to do it they can do what Stewart did, quit.
The racers at the Isle of Man, race on the most unforgiving track in the world. They do because they want to and are highly respected for their faith in themselves and their courage.
Racing has always been an act of courage and a test of skill. Stuipidity or foolishnes has a very high price.
Bob
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:46 (Ref:830755)   #28
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The Golden Era for me was from 1966 to about 1976, although by the end, with the exception of Ferrari, it had become a super fast Formula Ford.
I loved the years before the DFV showed up. Variey was the spice of life. Especially Mclaren, you never knew what they would use next.
Bob
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:832067)   #29
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
""""Oh please-they could race there but would have to adapt the car, and style, to the circuits.""

I couldn't agree more...they altered the tracks to suit the cars they built rather than build cars for the tracks.