Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Jan 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2105866)   #26
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
That was built by Bob Phelps to have a go at the land speed record way back in the seventys,Bob had some crazy idea's like having round alloy disc's instead of wheels and tyres.
All > 400mph LSR record cars now use solid alloy disks instread of rubber (I think), but you probably knew that!!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2105878)   #27
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
All > 400mph LSR record cars now use solid alloy disks instread of rubber (I think), but you probably knew that!!
Bob said this in about 1975?'You are not driving any wheels,why have tyres that are a big source of trouble'.He was in the process of building Hellbender and Vampire at the time,also wanted to get female drivers to drive them and asked my wife Penny to drive one,he was funny at times.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 14 Jan 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2105952)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Eric I was there with the ZX1 team and stand. We improved some guys time by putting some of our magic stuff in his Yamaha engined Bond Bug !
Sammy wasn't fazed one bit when he "dinged" it up at the end of his first run on the Saturday. Having never seen him live in action I wasn't prepared for the noise it made "after" he had gone by !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jan 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2105959)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
.....Read Richard Noble's book 'Thrust' - if you can find a copy (Got a second hand copy for Xmas - had to be imported from the States!!)......
James
Odd, there's 9 on a well-known auction site, 2 are signed copies, and the cheapest of the lot is only 30 bob
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2106871)   #30
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
Odd, there's 9 on a well-known auction site, 2 are signed copies, and the cheapest of the lot is only 30 bob
i had a bit of luck when it came to that book! found it at the local crappy market for £3 brand new! read it every time im at work. Noble was very lucky throughout the whole thrust project!
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2106882)   #31
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Funny how things work out,Bob Phelps of Santa Pod fame had three jet cars running at the Pod when Richard Noble was still trying to get a jet engine onto four wheels.Scorpian ran at the Pod without the afterburner but it still pushed the startline gantry back twelve inches every time it went off,and Richard won the race for the LSR.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 16 Jan 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2106975)   #32
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
IMO Noble's gift was to get the right people around him in the team, and to motivate them. Very good at PR aspects, e.g. supporters' club, too.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2107084)   #33
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
IMO Noble's gift was to get the right people around him in the team, and to motivate them. Very good at PR aspects, e.g. supporters' club, too.
Exactly,realy admire Noble ,he did it from nothing.
On another subject I understand that Vampire is back with one of its original owners.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2107191)   #34
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJR1
i know it's a bit off topic asking on here but does anyone know of places where you can get ex-military jet engines?
Because it is a quad bike , I thought you might not of seen this .Saw this for the first time at the TT in the Isle of Man .Talk about being blown away ,10foot away and the thing on reheat . Quite spectacular is a total understatment .This guy might know ,he is Dutch but speaks a English His was out of a Helicopter ,thats as much as I know but here is a link to his website http://www.pyromaniac.nl/home
Old 16 Jan 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2107285)   #35
MotorPsycho1934
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wrexham (Uni) Rustington (Home)
MotorPsycho1934 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
Apparently 'Scorpian' is still knocking around at Santa Pod somewhere,a bit worse for wear but that thing used to do 0-235 mph in around 5 secs at the Pod,just getting going when Andrew Hurdle the driver at the time had to shut it down.That was built by Bob Phelps to have a go at the land speed record way back in the seventys,Bob had some crazy idea's like having round alloy disc's instead of wheels and tyres.
By the way,he and Bootsy Heridge also built two other jet cars,one called Hellbender and the other,guess what,Vampire.Hellbender and Vampire used to race to fill in the times between the top fuelers,Hellbender was written off and the driver killed so they stopped running them,some other guy got hold of Vampire though,have heard a rumour that Roy Phelps has bought the remains of Vampire.
Gordan,I was at the Pod when Sammy Miller did that run,must have missed you,I was a VIP in one of the double decker buses,I wasnt there when Sammy did his first run and sucked all the windows out of the buses though!
Scorpian never ran near the 5s, more like 7's, it was way too heavy and no afterburner to run quick numbers. It is currently sat in the lockup opposite the main entrance at the Pod rotting away, it sat in the trade area for a good few years must of been about 10 years ago now and it was in a very sorry state then

Sammy's ZX1 jet dragster ran mid 5s, without the rocket motor and he never did run it with the rocket or attempt the British Land Speed record with it, Zx1 and the Firebird Vanishing Point are owned by Bob Feeler (former TAD racer) from France and run at demo's in France.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2108346)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you read the book its obvious that Richard is a very persuasive man and for his and the teams achievement go utterly unrewarded in this country,

What they did is a herculean effort, rememebr the song and dance the bloody Yanks made about breaking the sound barrier? If our PM had any foresight at teh time we would have broken it years before with teh Miles project.

And to break it on land and to do it almost safely was utter engineering and design genius.

These guys do not receive the credit they deserve and this is one fo teh finest achievements in teh last 20 years.

Just shows where the focus is now in Britain, 50 years ago this would ahve been massive, now its news for a day then forgotten, sad but true.

Just remember the thing managed nearly 780mph on land, the sea level ASR is about 900!

They used SPeys yes but very special ones that were not in service I think, and only co0z I think they couldnt get hold of RB211 Tornado engines which is what McLaren were going to use.

The current crop of jet cars over here are very good, again they dont really get enough credit, they are running regular 5 second passes, which is mighty quick!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2111726)   #37
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
The current crop of jet cars over here are very good, again they dont really get enough credit, they are running regular 5 second passes, which is mighty quick!
So what you are saying is they wouldn't make the final 8 in Australia or the top 32 in the US

(Mind you if it was a stand 800 there would be no competition between the wheel driven rails)