Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2339820)   #26
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are all asuming the original story is right. It comes from that new guy (ex Footy? reporter) at the sydney paper whose stories to date have often been overblown hype. Frankly given the current economy I dont belive its true. Ill believe it when it comes from one of the more reputable writers
Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2339832)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
We are all asuming the original story is right. It comes from that new guy (ex Footy? reporter) at the sydney paper whose stories to date have often been overblown hype. Frankly given the current economy I dont belive its true. Ill believe it when it comes from one of the more reputable writers
Where is Ray Kershler these days?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Nov 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2339849)   #28
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how this compares to Ambrose and what he earns over in the states. Or, even how much he earned in his last year of V8SCs. When I suggested that it may be JB paying the salary it was only because up until now DJ hasn't been exactly showering pit lane with dollars. And if they were cashed up, it would have made more sense spending it on the cars, remembering that Stevie J's car is the oldest on the grid. I wonder if DJR were smarting a little after losing Will to HRT and were possibly facing a season without a gun driver?
Has Steven Johnson re-signed for next year yet?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2339874)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ron Dennis of McLaren fame was once quoted as saying that drivers generally dont understand where the money comes from in a team. Talking about paying enormous sums to Ayrton Senna, Mr Dennis mentioned that Mr Senna did not correlate the money he was being paid to drive with taking money away from the technical development side of the team....

There are probably a couple of blokes that are in their purple patch and you would give them a nice retainer, and probably pay for performance on top... but there are also some others who may not justify their alleged income stream based on performance this year, last year or year before that.

Just because you can make a sponsor like you doesnt mean a driver can lead a team technically. can relate as to what the car is doing, and make meaningful, decisive suggestions for improvement that actually work.....
Old 23 Nov 2008, 02:24 (Ref:2339895)   #30
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Ron Dennis of McLaren fame was once quoted as saying that drivers generally dont understand where the money comes from in a team. Talking about paying enormous sums to Ayrton Senna, Mr Dennis mentioned that Mr Senna did not correlate the money he was being paid to drive with taking money away from the technical development side of the team....

There are probably a couple of blokes that are in their purple patch and you would give them a nice retainer, and probably pay for performance on top... but there are also some others who may not justify their alleged income stream based on performance this year, last year or year before that.

Just because you can make a sponsor like you doesnt mean a driver can lead a team technically. can relate as to what the car is doing, and make meaningful, decisive suggestions for improvement that actually work.....
There is some interesting data on US baseball teams re profitability. The teams that win most of the games and the ones that win the least amount of game are the least profitable. The teams that win around 60% of their games are the most profitability. Apparently winning cost more money and the more you win the more you had to spend to get the wins. Therefore the point of maximum profitability is winning around 60%.

If this data correlates to V8 Supercars look a bit further down the grid sheets for the most profitable team. They might not have as big income stream from sponsor but are probably spending a lot less too.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 02:55 (Ref:2339903)   #31
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Awwww.... I thought West Coast Cooler (showing my age...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
You must be my age The number of girls that lost their virginity because of that drink..........
anyway back on topic.
Thanks guys for making me feel my age as well!! That's half a lifetime ago now.

Ahhh, those were the days, young and no responsibilities..
Old 23 Nov 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2339906)   #32
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bullschizen .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
I wonder how this compares to Ambrose and what he earns over in the states. Or, even how much he earned in his last year of V8SCs. When I suggested that it may be JB paying the salary it was only because up until now DJ hasn't been exactly showering pit lane with dollars. And if they were cashed up, it would have made more sense spending it on the cars, remembering that Stevie J's car is the oldest on the grid. I wonder if DJR were smarting a little after losing Will to HRT and were possibly facing a season without a gun driver?
Any chance its just cobblers ???
Old 23 Nov 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2339967)   #33
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
have to agee with cavvy, cobblers. there is more to a deal than DJR and FOrd are going to tell. Just live with it, he is driving for DJR. Who cares who is paying.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2339968)   #34
Silencer
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Silencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine that the $1million was also offered to Will before he signed with HRT.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2340096)   #35
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards
Cavvy, if JB is the naming rights sponsor for the team that is employing him, it would appear on the surface, that it is their dollars going his way.

Unless of course, the supposed seven figure sum is being made up from contribution from personal sponsors or a wealthy benefactor.

If you know more, cavvy, why not tell us all more ?
So, Rachel, you're allowed to speculate, but cavvy is not!? Doesn't seem fair to me...

Also, I'd just like to point out to the faithful contributors of this site that Rachel has a history of perenially bagging this particular driver on this site.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2340102)   #36
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
If you gave me James and Will on a platter as drivers and told me to choose, I'd probably take Will, only just though.
It depends on the circumstance. They are both freakishly fast.

I think James is the more naturally talented driver, but perhaps Will works a little bit harder at his game. I get the impression that James is like Lowndes in his natural and relaxed approach, but Will is like Jamie in his workmanlike approach.

Anyone suggesting James can't get the job done, should perhaps go and watch Bathurst again - where he was just about the driver of the race.

He and Junior could be a real shot for Bathurst glory in 2009.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 00:42 (Ref:2340476)   #37
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
So, Rachel, you're allowed to speculate, but cavvy is not!? Doesn't seem fair to me...
No mac, never the intention at all.
Cavvy is very good contributor of facts on this forum, I interpreted his post to mean he knew more than he was letting on. I hoped he would give a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Also, I'd just like to point out to the faithful contributors of this site that Rachel has a history of perenially bagging this particular driver on this site.
Mac, please be a little careful in your sage advice to contributors.

May I be so bold as to suggest you do a search of my posts and count the "perennial" number of times I have even referenced James Courteny, let alone "bagged" him. You will find very few !
Old 24 Nov 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2340502)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Given that DJR has taken to running auctions for race-used panels (usually damaged) as taken from one of their Falcons... I wonder if Mr Courtney is going to be cash flow positive in this regard... selling every damaged panel needed during the SBR relationship, they could very nearly buy a whole new chassis
Old 24 Nov 2008, 02:48 (Ref:2340503)   #39
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, IF IT IS true, I wonder how junior is feeling right about now?
Old 24 Nov 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2340550)   #40
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Mac, please be a little careful in your sage advice to contributors.

May I be so bold as to suggest you do a search of my posts and count the "perennial" number of times I have even referenced James Courteny, let alone "bagged" him. You will find very few!
Apologies Rachel - I recalled a former contributor that "perenially" and often personally bagged Mr Courtney. After reading your somewhat derogatory slightly personal critique of James here, I figured it must have been you...

Quote:
I especially loved the bit about him knocking back the F1 drive. IIRC, a short scottish lady called Jackie Stewart made that decision for him.
Don't see why you see this comment as a reason to denigrate James - it was the journalist that made this claim.

Also, James' F1 "career" is nothing to be sneezed at. He was faster than a certain Mr Button in his inaugural F1 test - and in his second the car fell apart and nearly killed him. He never got another chance.

Quote:
If I were Mr Jim Beam, I would have chosen someone a little more robust & masculine to be the 'face' of the race team I sponsor.
Mr Beam can pick who he damn well pleases - clearly the heavily paid marketing types at Mr Beam's place think he is "masculine" enough. Maybe Mr Beam wants someone slightly more professionally presented than the average "masculine" yobbo on the hill at a V8 event.

Quote:
On spec, Paul Morris should should be being paid a million as well, he won a round once too.
You just don't get it, do you? The whole story is about why an obviously talented young driver can be paid a substantially large amount of money because of the appeal he brings. Don't know that an ageing, hair-losing, big-boned, loud-mouthed, moving accident fits the same "spec".

Quote:
Is he that much of a media wh0re ?

Or is he attempting to widen his audience even further in order to secure votes in the Motorsport Personality of the year.
As for James' alleged self-promotion - he refused to make a comment for the story, and the motorsport personality piece is clearly from V8Supercars PR corp (and he has been asked for comment).
Old 24 Nov 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2340554)   #41
dazza027
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
have to agee with cavvy, cobblers. there is more to a deal than DJR and FOrd are going to tell. Just live with it, he is driving for DJR. Who cares who is paying.
Hey dude, honestly good luck to him, JC in a new SBR chassis with a DJR donk, he might actually do some good, who knows. Im not knocking him for getten such a ripper deal. Just seemed odd that they would fork out so much dough for a guy that really hasnt done anything except win a few kart championships, when JW, who also has won a kart championship or two, AND has won bathurst 3 times, AND is in line to win a V8 supercar title (hopefully the first of many) and yet, he is only worth 600 large. Im sorry, but sponsors coming out of the bum or not, hes not really worth that much, and even if he is fantastically mega super dooper with servicing his sponsors, the money is for results, not for smiles and autographs.
I am new here, so, what is cobblers? Arent they an old fashioned chocolate lollie?
Hehe if James Courtney is masculine enough for JB, then what kind of alcohol does Paul Morris fit with, because after all, if he had the chance to rip off JC's **** *** **** **** *** orifice, Im betting he would have in a flash. Itd be pure methanol Im tipping.

Last edited by dazza027; 24 Nov 2008 at 07:36.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2340595)   #42
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am new here, so, what is cobblers? Arent they an old fashioned chocolate lollie?
A slang term for not being of the truth, generally comes about when " I read this in an article or saw it on the news"

a polite way of saying *************************************
Old 24 Nov 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2340658)   #43
mac
Veteran

I think you will find that any figure of $1 million will be a combination of cash from Jim Beam, the three alleged sponsors that Courtney will bring, Dick Johnson, and even Ford - and any such contract will most likely feature incentives for things like winning some races or achieving a certain amount of points to get near the the figure.

Very easy for any media outlet looking for an easy headline to get carried away with any such grand, romantic, round number.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2340661)   #44
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I think you will find that any figure of $1 million will be a combination of cash from Jim Beam, the three alleged sponsors that Courtney will bring, Dick Johnson, and even Ford - and any such contract will most likely feature incentives for things like winning some races or achieving a certain amount of points to get near the the figure.

Very easy for any media outlet looking for an easy headline to get carried away with any such grand, romantic, round number.
yep mac, a media outfit full of cobblers
Old 24 Nov 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2340778)   #45
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It always amuses me how much ink a stupid comment from a journalist generates. Everyone has taken for granted the figure mentioned is correct & is trying to justify / crucify JC for it - depending upon what side of the fence you sit....

I rate this article on the same level as the one headed up 'Mark Webber seriously injured' and then goes on to report he was in good spirits with a broken leg. I'm not belittling the broken leg but hardly 'serioulsy injured'.

Journo's who cant write credible stories use lame headlines & sensationalism to get your attention - Mike Porter should be hanging his head in shame over this article but instead everyone is picking on JC when his only direct quote was 'No comment...'

Last edited by speedreader; 24 Nov 2008 at 13:07.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2341087)   #46
dazza027
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
A slang term for not being of the truth, generally comes about when " I read this in an article or saw it on the news"

a polite way of saying *************************************
Ok, PM me and tell me without the stars. And if what I wrote is cobblers, then the whole bloody thread is cobblers. Including the dribble you wrote
Old 25 Nov 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2341362)   #47
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cavey's probably getting his 'IMFORMATION' from the 'GENIE' that lives at the bottom of a Jim Beam bottle !!!!!!!!!!!!??
Old 25 Nov 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2341755)   #48
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone ever considered that the Million Dollars that he is getting paid is just his yearly total income??

When you think about it and break it down into percentages, part of his income would be made up of his SBR driving contract, Ford contract, personal sponsors income and then to top it off the prize money that he collects. Not to mention in there any performance based clauses and merchandise kick backs that he has that would again top up his income.

At the end of the day he might be saying to the tax man that he made a million dollars in total for the last financial year, but I very much doubt that it all came from SBR. They say Lowndes also makes that sort of money, but a majority of that is from the merchandise sales.

On the other hand, I hope he doesn't drive DJR/Jim Beam Racing. I hate the bloke so much that I refuse to go anywhere near the companies that sponsor him, and I'll be damned if I'm going to have to give up drinking and buying Jim Beam because of him!!
Old 25 Nov 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2341762)   #49
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
I hate the bloke so much that I refuse to go anywhere near the companies that sponsor him, and I'll be damned if I'm going to have to give up drinking and buying Jim Beam because of him!!
Geez, there are people I don't have great fondness for in racing, but to "hate" a racing driver so intensely speaks more about the hater than the hated.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2341780)   #50
dazza027
Racer

Its a done deal Denosaur. Soooo, hope you develop a taste for JD or somethen, otherwise its just plain old Coca Cola for you buddy.