Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Oct 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1114796)   #26
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought her name was LetÃ*cia???
Or is that an ex-girlfriend?
Old 4 Oct 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1114799)   #27
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
GP2 in 2005, then. With Piquet Sports? There was a rumour his dad would take the second seat, but I won't hold my breath.
Quote:
Originally posted by acf8181
can't see that happening if what was said in motorsport news about not being able to drive a road car anymore
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
I imagine from Indy 92, since he was racing for several years after Imola 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
He also came back and raced Indy 1993 - or practised at least.
I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but Piquet Sr. did a race a few years back in SudAm F3, didn't he? So he must be able to drive at least. Not that I'm suggesting the GP2 rumour ever had any truth in it.

Anyway, congratulations Nelsinho, great performance when it mattered in the final rounds
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1114809)   #28
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelsinho is the best!!!
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1114836)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever you may think about Brazillionaires - and it's good to see that folk on this forum do put aside their personal views when the battle's been fought and won - IMHO the best driver won. More pole positions than anyone else (just), more race wins (just) and comfortably more fastest laps.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1114844)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look forward to seeing him in GP2 next year.

It's 90% certain that's where he'll end up, I imagine.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1114866)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm glad he won it like that, rather than carroll being a victim of bad luck or anything, because he deserved it.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1114878)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed. I do feel sorry for Adam, though. I just don't understand where it went wrong between being fastest in the Friday test and then non-performing in qualifying on Saturday.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1114883)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it had been the other way around, people would have said the pressure got to Nelson, but....
Old 4 Oct 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1114916)   #34
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We (myself included) were all being too overoptimistic hoping Adam would win - even if Nelson had made a couple of very stupid mistakes, Adam would've had to have finished higher, no? Just hope Adam can get himself sorted for next season.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1114961)   #35
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Emma
I told you he would'a been the champ.

Congratulations Nelsinho! (I'd say it in Portuguese but dunno how)
You could say Parabéns, Nelsinho!

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_Era
And now I have to hear my cousins claim Piquet Jr is also Dutch...
Nelsinho's mother is Dutch and as such he has the right to hold a Dutch passport.

Quote:
Originally posted by piquetfan
[...]The previous (maybe the first?) non-Brit "team" to win the title was Piquet Sr's "team", 28 years ago. But that wasn't "Piquet Sports".

It wasn't really a team - only Piquet and two Brazilian mechanics. For those of you who don't know the story, Piquet bought a new Ralt (in which he won the title) with money prizes, but had to cut a a deal with Mr Ralt, working as a cleaner in the Ralt headquarters in order not to pay garage rent. He also worked as David (or was it Geoff?) Brabham's truck driver, in exchange for lifts (he didnt have money to take the car and equipment around the UK).

So if you think that it was difficult for Nelsinho to win the title, imagine what his father had to do - Nelsinho had to struggle only to find the setups...
BTW, in 1978 Nelson broke the record of wins held by Jackie Stewart.

[...]
Piquet (senior) has lived an amazing life so rich in stories - on and off the race track - that if it ever becomes a movie most people will judge it "unbelievable" or "untrue".

One of my favorite ones - which I posted in another forum recently - describes how he used carry his Formula Vee from track to track in Brazil in the mid-1970s.

These were no short distances, mind you, and there were no good highways back then either - and he would take his race car on the back of a Volkswagen Kombi pick-up (a rare thing by itself). The Kombi was in shambles, by the way.

Before long the engine of hauler the gave up the ghost on the way to a race in Interlagos. Piquet did not hesitate, and swap it with the one from his race car - right there, on the side of the road. Reputedly it became the fastest Kombi to be ever driven in Brazilian roads.

Having no money for a spare racing engine - or for servicing the Kombi engine - Piquet carried out a full season driving to tracks with the engine of the Formula Vee in the hauler, then putting it in the race car for the weekend, swapping it again after the race and then, zoom, back to the Kombi after the race...

True.

Muzza
Old 4 Oct 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1114984)   #36
piquetfan
Racer

piquetfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Muzza!

that's a good one, but I have another. The VW Kombi was in fact TWO. As you said, they didn't have a truck, so Piquet and friends found two wrecked Kombis in a car-dump, welded the front of one and the back of the other together, and then got the Frankenstein Kombi.

Anyway, too many stories. Just two bits of info: first, Nelsinho is in fact GERMAN. He was born in Heidelberg, in 1985.

Second, he said he's going to do GP2 next year, unless he gets a very unlikely test-driver seat in F1. Jonathan Williams (son of Frank) was at Brands this weekend and told a Brazilian reporter that neither Marc nor Pizzonia were confirmed for 2005, and that Nelsinho was an option, but I don't buy it. I think he was only trying to be polite. Piquet jr kind of disapointed in his Williams test one year ago.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1114998)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Jonathan Williams is involved in a GP2 team - so that may be an option.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1115013)   #38
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, wel done Nelsinho, was a great year with Nelsinho, Adam and James! So I read we will do GP2 after all if he doesn't find an F1 (test) seat? Interesting, I thought he had ruled out a move.

Last edited by Daisy; 4 Oct 2004 at 16:13.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 16:40 (Ref:1115036)   #39
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank W said he felt he tested him a year early - so may be up for giving him another shot this winter.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1115084)   #40
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, well done to Nelsinho, but he has to improve a lot for next year if he wants to do a Damon or a Jacques.
Well, he's off to a better start than either of them (I am a fan of both). If he still makes a few too many mistakes, he has more time to sort them out than most of his rivals.

Last edited by santori; 4 Oct 2004 at 17:30.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1115155)   #41
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a GP2 team that doesnt yet exist
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1115162)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Just for interest, the previous youngest-ever British F3 Champion was Rubens Barrichello in 1991. Also Brazilian, currently doing quite well in F1.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1115332)   #43
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nelson is a thoroughly deserving champion, and his drives yesterday were true champions drives considering the situation. After qualifying, he could really have sat back and had a steady run round to sixth in the first race and still tied up the chamionship, but he stayed with Rossitter all the way through the race and also drove an excellent race in the second. Hopefully both Nelson and Adam will go on to bigger things. Clearly Nelson is likely to be in GP2 or an F1 test role next year or even dovetailing the two. Hopefully Adam will also be able to move upwards as well, budget allowing. Both drivers are a credit to the British series, which I think has had a better quality of drivers this year than the Euroseries and has provided some very memorable races this year. Nelson seemed (understandably) very emotional on the podium after winning the chamionship, something which he did in style, as bella said it was better to win it that way than with someone ending up in the gravel trap.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1115371)   #44
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy
So I read we will do GP2 after all if he doesn't find an F1 (test) seat? Interesting, I thought he had ruled out a move.
At Brands Nelsinho was asked what he was planning for next year; I couldn't quite hear it over the PA but I think he said something along the lines of he was looking at the new "Formula 2" (GP2). Hope he will be in it, should be a good addition to the new series
Old 5 Oct 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1115472)   #45
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by piquetfan The previous (maybe the first?) non-Brit "team" to win the title was Piquet Sr's "team", 28 years ago. But that wasn't "Piquet Sports".
Very interesting stuff... as far as I know they are also the first father and son to win the Brit F3.

Quote:
Anyway, too many stories. Just two bits of info: first, Nelsinho is in fact GERMAN. He was born in Heidelberg, in 1985.
No, he isn't German because his parents aren't German. Just like me, I was born and live in Switzerland, but my parents are German, therefore I'm a German citizen. Happens that part of the family lives in the Netherlands... so first thing my cousin said yesterday is that they had a new champ...

Quote:
Jonathan Williams (son of Frank) was at Brands this weekend and told a Brazilian reporter that neither Marc nor Pizzonia were confirmed for 2005, and that Nelsinho was an option, but I don't buy it. I think he was only trying to be polite. Piquet jr kind of disapointed in his Williams test one year ago.
He wasn't as fast as Pizzonia... but did better than anyone else who tested that car, from Rosberg to Dixon. So yes, in F1 you can't settle for the second best if you want to fight for the championship. Naturally Antonio got the opportunity and I'd say, made the most of it.

In the Rosberg Vs Piquet front... Piquet Jr showed that he has the surname, he has the money... but he also had the nerves and skills to beat the rest of the field. Couldn't say the same about Nico, although I think he's a good driver.

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 5 Oct 2004 at 00:28.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 04:12 (Ref:1115535)   #46
Russfeld
Veteran

Bit of a stretch to say Piquet did better than Dixon
Old 5 Oct 2004, 04:41 (Ref:1115544)   #47
Turbo_Era
Racer

In terms of feedback and work with the team, Dixon did really well, but when it was down to his best lap time, the thing wasn't that great:

FW26 DRY BARCELONA SPRING

M GENE (SP) 1m15s211
S DIXON (NZ) 1m15s922

FW25 DRY BARCELONA WINTER

N PIQUET (BR) 1m15s809
N ROSBERG (FIN) 1m16s491

Although Piquet drove the old FW25, he showed himself a bit anxious... but what do you expect from a 17 yo?

The old F1 thing... words are just words. No matter how sweet the words were, he would only be in the frame if he was given another chance. He wasn't.

Piquet didn't impress... but to his side it counts he was too young last year. Rosberg didn't impress either, but his average season in F3 didn't do him any favours.

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 5 Oct 2004 at 04:50.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 05:18 (Ref:1115554)   #48
Turbo_Era
Racer

All Williams drivers

FW26 DRY BARCELONA WINTER (Feb/Mar)
R SCHUMACHER (GER) 1m14s677
J MONTOYA (COL) 1m14s804
M GENE (SPA) 1m14s996
A PIZZONIA (BR) 1m15s085

FW25 DRY BARCELONA WINTER (Feb/Mar)
N PIQUET (BR) 1m15s809
N ROSBERG (FIN) 1m16s486

FW26 DRY BARCELONA SPRING (Apr)
M GENE (SPA) 1m15s217
S DIXON (NZ) 1m15s932
R SCHUMACHER 1m17s191 (just 5 laps in the dry)

Piquet, Rosberg and Dixon would never be expected to be as quick as the regular drivers. IRL is all about ovals (although the teams and infrastructure are not small). F3 is F3, engine is nothing comparable to an f1 engine... not to mention, number of team members, setup information and etc.

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 5 Oct 2004 at 05:23.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 06:01 (Ref:1115567)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talent aside the biggest problem I have always seen with Piquet Jr. is his attitude. He just does not seem to really enjoy his racing and I just have this feeling that his father is living though him. You almost feel like the kid is being forced into a life he doesn't want. In contrast Rosberg seems to be more at ease and Keke is not hovering over his son's every step.

For his own good he needs to get out of the Piquet Sports set up and sink or swim on his own.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 06:36 (Ref:1115580)   #50
Russfeld
Veteran

You cant even compare times driver to driver on the same team on the same day; you want us to take some global overall lap time from Williams as a definitive ranking?