Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Sep 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1398884)   #26
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funnily enough I was sitting at Madgwick when there was 'that' pile up. I can't remember the details but it had two GTOs, Surtees and someone else, and an Aston. I think the two faster cars dicing came up to lap a slower gt and they all ended up in a heap.
Someone will remember accurately but what an expensive shunt!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1399044)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, according to 'The glory of Goodwood', this incident occurred on lap 62 when Surtees came up to lap Clark for the second time. It only mentions these two drivers but in the back of my mind I, too, have a recollection of seeing a photo with a third car in the pile up although I also seem to recall that it joined the other two a bit later in the race. Chris Kerrison in a special bodied Ferrari 250GT comes to mind but it maybe my memory playing tricks! Anyone confirm?
Old 12 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1406074)   #28
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a Goodwood book here and it says that Robin Benson was the third one to pile up. I must say I can't rember anyone by that name, but I don't think it was Kerrison. Puzzled.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1406199)   #29
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a bit of research, well mailed a friend actually, I found out that Tony Purnell Started Pi at 31 Portugal Place. Shame it wasn't 17 where Archie lived but nice to know a little street in Cambridge has some motor racing history surrounding it.

Steve B
Old 12 Sep 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1406217)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
I've got a Goodwood book here and it says that Robin Benson was the third one to pile up. I must say I can't rember anyone by that name, but I don't think it was Kerrison. Puzzled.
John, I think I have found the answer! In 'The Colonels Ferraris' by Doug Nye, there is a picture of all three cars and the caption reads, 'Robin Benson's Chris Kerrison-owned GT SWB had further mutilated the GTO 3647 and Clark's Aston Martin after they had collided and careened into the bank'. According to Jess Pourret's Book on 250 GT Competition cars Kerrison shared the driving with Benson, although I didn't think they had shared drives at this late stage in the TT. I have to agree that the name Robin Benson rings no bells with me, either.

Interestingly, after the crash, Kerrison had the SWB (chassis no. 2735GT) rebodied by Drogo and drove it with varying degrees of success until sold in 1965. Even more interestingly, this car, owned in 1961 by Rob Walker had actually won the TT that year in the hands of one Stirling Moss, so it was not in awe of the drivers of the cars it crashed into in 1962 even though their names were Clark and Surtees!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1406301)   #31
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Benson's name rings a bell a a Lotus Elite driver of that time
Old 14 Sep 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1407955)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
David, thanks, I think this calls for a bit of research on my part.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1407970)   #33
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I was actually around in Archies day. I recall spending a morning in his office at Silverstone, and part-taking of his very fine Scotch, as we discussed earlier Motor Racing times. He had a wry sense of humour which came across as we discussed terms for our shops at the Car and Motorcycle Grand Prix's, we haggled, and talked and he poured me another, and finally a price was agreed for the whole season! A canny Scot, and a Gentleman. Gerry.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1408337)   #34
ministrator
Rookie

Norway
Sarpsborg
ministrator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautiful work Andrew! Captures the atmosphere of the circuit perfectly.

I remember seeing the plaque - I was up at Snetterton a few years back to trace the old original track. Walking up the Norwich straight in January was fascinating, it was easy to picture the likes of Archie hurling their cars towards the hairpin. What a superb track it was with the old layout. Incidentally, the reason for us being there was to log as much data and pictures we could for making the track for the Grand Prix Legends simulation, in a 50s version and later in the 68 version with the chicane before the start/finish straight made for the F2 race.

If I remember correctly we did place the plaque on that old scrutineering bay. You could also of course drive your Lotus 49 into the bay...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1443620)   #35
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I met with Brian at his home again last week, when he signed the limited edition.

Old 31 Oct 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1448400)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Having received my print, I can safely say it is even better than the illustration shows. Now, Andrew, who are the drivers in the DB3S and D-type, behind Archie?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1448465)   #37
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks John glad you like it. Peter Whitehead and Peter Blond following.
I had a meeting with Jamie at Snetterton ( circuit manager). A large copy 1.8m wide is going up in the restaurant and one of the framed prints in the ajoining bar. Another framed print is going in the actual Archie Scott Brown centre itself (The new scrutineering building). The official opening of this facility is being planned around the 2006 HSCC meeting, to include a parade of ASB's famous cars or similar types. Many of his old friends will be in attendance. Watch this space..