Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:14 (Ref:366904)   #26
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zandvoort is THE track that works best with aids off. You just go round it in a perrenial state of sideways drift. Superb!!

And yes, that bit at the glen is a sod. But I like it. A bit of lock actually enhances it. SCREEEECH!!!! Bang.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:20 (Ref:366912)   #27
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i love watching the replays when i hit the wall with a thud, slo-mo is the best

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 28 Aug 2002, 08:23 (Ref:367200)   #28
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I had a blast last night, and found that I was trying too hard. By trying to go fast, I ended up crashing all over the place. You almost need to relax and just be as smooth as possible, then you will be quick. Trying to be quick is the easiest way not to be!

The other part of the Glen that catches me out is the top left-hander that is part of the first corner. Just a bit too much speed and you hopelessly understeer to that sodding magnetic hay bale, and then the inevitable sickening crunch. God those hay bales are solid!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 10:41 (Ref:367276)   #29
Tristan
Veteran

Best tip for driving in real life/GPL/whatever: slow in, fast out.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 10:56 (Ref:367297)   #30
Tristan
Veteran

OK, what's the best crash you've had?? Mine would have had to have been of the ski-jump on the left of that kink at Kylami, but yesterday I had a monster crash at Rouen. Taking the kind-of-flat Gresil somehow my loverly loverly Honda got away from me whilst following a Ferrari rather too closely. Three wheels wrenched off, rolling and sliding on the roll-hoop with the engine ablaze. Absolutely colossal off. In "real life" there's no way I'd have walked away.

Over to you!! Tell stories!! Post your replay files!! Go mad!!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 12:00 (Ref:367363)   #31
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I have had major 'offs' at both the Kyalami rocket launch and that very fast turn at Rouen with the trees just waiting to eat you. Another regular is losing the car on landing at the Flugplatz, and sliding up the bank and then next stop, the moon!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:47 (Ref:367452)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the exit of the kink on Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans, i went too wide on the exit (i can take it flat now, but when i did this i hadn't got the right set-up) i got into the tree's and all of a sudden the car is going sky high into the air, going straight up, higher than the tree tops, amazing.

I've also had many good one's at Turn 4 at Watkins Glen.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:42 (Ref:367491)   #33
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I"ve had some massive ones on purpose in Spa by slinging the car into the houses at full speed...ouch. Also at Eau Rouge.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:31 (Ref:367601)   #34
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best was an on purpose one at monza when I drove the wrong way up the track and hit another car just as it was exiting the flat-out sweep before parabolica, I went sooooo high in the air and stayed air-borne for about 15secs. Unfortunatly I've lost the replay.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:34 (Ref:367605)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
On the exit of the kink on Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans

Aha not a smashing crash post this, but a plea for a new URL for the Le Mans track. I had it a couple of years ago and copied it to a CD which I can no longer get to play in my new pc (and it won't play in my old reformatted one either). The link to the site on GPL Add-Ons and GPL Track Database simply doesn't work. Has anyone got another source I can go to?

I can't remember how big the zip is? If it's not massive, any chance someone could e-mail it to me?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:56 (Ref:367627)   #36
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
biggest off was at Rouen, i thought that i could take the first corner flat but couldn't, only knew i was going off halfway through the corner by then im doing 185mph and left the track...up the embankment and hit the barrier at 146mph - OUCH!!! it was spectacular. 3 wheels off, fell onto the track - yes fell - i was about 100ft off the ground at one point, anyway fell onto the track at a horizontal speed of 45mph god knows how fast vertically did a few flips and a lot of noise. scared the bejesus outta me. this is the biggest i've had.

the best one was Spa, Eau Rouge when i again thought i could take the bottom flat, hit a bump and opposite locked the job, spun several times and clipped the edge of the barrier and spun a alot more, went up the embankment and again fell onto the track and into the path of a Ferrari, he hit me nose i somersaulted several times, ended up with one wheel left at the edge of the track

Old 30 Aug 2002, 22:45 (Ref:369535)   #37
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a track called pants where its just a wall of death, you drive round in 5th and when you reach 120mph it goes off but if you can drive at 119.99999 mph then you can get the laps in of about 10 secs. Ive got the best shunt in the world there where i slid off the top and rolled end over end 39 times before landing.

Now Im gonna describe a lap.

Croft

This track is really slippy so set it up really soft and rolly. Pass the pits in 4th go up to fifth and almost immediately back down to 3rd for Tower. Its a fairly long right hander, you need to brake firm but do not lock up. get the throttle on quickly to push the back end round and up to 4th before you reach the esses, then brake down to 3rd and throw the car into the first left hander and then drift on the throttle through the right hander. Back up to 4th for the right hander barcroft again throw the car in and drift out, cos its too slippy to drive round. Up to 5th before sunny then down to 2nd braking firmly but steadily, roll into the corner and bring the throttle on very steadily onto the railway straight. You reach 5th quite easily then brake hard and throw the car into Clerveaux, 3rd gear left hander, brake further down to secont for the right hander at Hawthorn and steadily bring the throttle on getting to 3rd before the chicane. Slow the car right down cos the chicane has big brick walls. when you come out of the left hander if you clip the inside wall with your rear it brings the back end out so you can get on the throttle quicker.

The whole track is horrible to drive cos is is so slippy. I have got the set up as good as can be but its almost like there is oil on the track. Its fun and very challenging though. One place to be really careful is halfway round hawthawn because the racing line isnt lined up correctly so there is even less grip.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 02:41 (Ref:369602)   #38
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I installed Win 2K after having had enough with that &$%$# $#"$%%$$# "#$#%$# (and so on) of Windows ME. And since I'm not convinced by the "nice" look of XP. But I was afraid that I was going to loose some of my favourite games, in particular GPL, but boy was I happy when I installed, installed the patch and it ran no problem.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 09:42 (Ref:370321)   #39
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
downloaded that Honda thing and OH MY GOD!!! sounds like 15000rpm and although you have a few hair raising moments without traction control during gears 1,2 and sometimes 3...it goes!

and looks stunning

Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:05 (Ref:370436)   #40
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
oh yeah, one other thing - how do you get over 200mph? all my setups suck and my fastest ever speed was 192mph at Monza, anyone can help?!

Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:09 (Ref:370444)   #41
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
200mph can only be done at spa in the origional tracks, and there you have to be massivly brave through the masta kink, ie not brake for the corner. You also have to play with the gearing as well to get it to work correct, etc,etc etc
Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:23 (Ref:370459)   #42
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the funniest crash ive seen was when me and two freinds, Downz and Baron, were playing online, we were at monaco. i was in the pits, trying to get a decent set-up. i took a break from that to see what was happining on the track. Donwz lost control of his ferrari and ended up going the wrong way, with out realising it, and crashed head on into Baron, they both headed up into the air. i was in stiches. ive got the replay if anyone wants to see it?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 14:44 (Ref:370490)   #43
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i have downloaded the Bloodbath 14 mile track and it is...fast!!!

Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:34 (Ref:370714)   #44
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how do you find out what speed you were doing???
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:38 (Ref:370774)   #45
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go to the replay (the full screen one) and look at it in the top of the screen
Old 1 Sep 2002, 22:07 (Ref:370805)   #46
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
p.s, the masta kink flat?! are you bloody mad?! i only take it at around 170mph when im on the ragged edge!!!

my word, i havent got the grip to even attempt that - you got ze balls

Old 2 Sep 2002, 11:17 (Ref:371140)   #47
Tristan
Veteran

Quite. I don't "break", but I do lift. Opposite lock at 175mph...... how they did this in real life I have no idea!!
Old 2 Sep 2002, 17:30 (Ref:371421)   #48
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its even scarier when u go to see it in real life, absolute madness to go through that at 180mph. i have so much respect for drivers of that era.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 17:51 (Ref:371440)   #49
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
there is such a difference form then to now - then they'd wonder if they'd ever get out their cars alive or knowing that one mistake on the masta kink would end in certain death - but realising if they don't they will not only lose pride but seen as not a good driver.

now drivers wonder wether they will get out of their cars breaking sweat or in time for a shower - or knowing that if they make one mistake, no worries cos' they'll get another chance 10 minutes.

Old 4 Sep 2002, 10:55 (Ref:372921)   #50
Tristan
Veteran

Just had the biggest crash of my life, in ANY game EVER. Suspension failure on the Mulsanne at almost 200mph. Hit a telegraph pole and a tree, ripping the back of the car to pieces and sending me, what, 60 feet (??) in the air?? Hit the ground tail first at which point the engine explodes into a fireball. Needless to say, I had to retire.... dead.

Talking of Le Mans, anyone got any decent setups for Le Sarthe (as opposed to Bugatti)??