Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Oct 2007, 10:40 (Ref:2045277)   #26
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe there are some talented drivers in club racing - 1600 for instance seems to be becoming an entry level formula for some talented guys coming out of karting who maybe don't have the budget or don't want the pressure of going straight into a national championship.

The thing is though that although these guys might prove to be just as good or better than Duncan Tappy or Dean Smith etc until they compete at a higher level then they aren't proving for me anyway that they are good enough to be nominated. However much the racing is great fun to watch and I'm sure to take part in in 1600 the talent within the series is not at the same level as that in a national championship and so it's very difficult to say somebody should be nominated over guys who are competing at the front of a high level, ultra competitive national championship.

Its not a slur on club racers at all, I hope the guys who step up next year do a great job and find themselves nominated in 2008 but until they prove front runners and race winners in National Formula Ford, Formula Renault or Palmer Audi then I think it's only right they aren't nominated.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2045351)   #27
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope it could be a kind of McLaren Autosport BRDC Award in Argentina, but we need a superior formula (reviving SudamF3, re-creating MAF1-F2 with local fiberglass chassis with few carbon or buying old F3000/GP2 cars) to get a better chance for them.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 13:48 (Ref:2045376)   #28
late-breaker
Rookie

late-breaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is all going off subject for me.

We've got the 5 finalists, what do we think of them?
Old 20 Oct 2007, 20:33 (Ref:2045611)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not much, by the way it's gone off topic
Old 21 Oct 2007, 19:11 (Ref:2046692)   #30
late-breaker
Rookie

late-breaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
not much, by the way it's gone off topic

I was'nt asking you! Your French!
Old 22 Oct 2007, 16:23 (Ref:2048114)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lies! all british. the flag is just an excuse for being rude and arrogant :P

the winner this year is really dependant on your exact definition of who *should* win. which goes back to the annual discussion, which is continued above. is it a "thanks for coming" to those who try hard but won't ever make it? or is it a recognition of a talent who really could make it to the top...
Old 22 Oct 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2048180)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Or do you disregard Henry Arundel, for instance, because if the stories are to believed he has already signed with Double R to race in British F3 next season and presumably doesn't need the money?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:00 (Ref:2057081)   #33
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There is a separate thread here dealing with the FPA shootout at Snetterton this weekend to decide the sixth and final nominee for the Award.

Alternatively, there's a preview here.

Tim Bridgman? Ryan Lewis? May as well add Danny Watts...
Old 3 Dec 2007, 00:11 (Ref:2080190)   #34
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and it's Stefan Wilson who wins it. I can't say he stood out particularly this season, but he must have impressed the right people on the day when it mattered so congratulations to him.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:53 (Ref:2080399)   #35
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Maybe Jonathan Palmer told the organisers they couldn't use his circuits next year unless Stefan won!

I have to say its come as quite a suprise - he didn't stand out for me either, other than for his name. He did a good job don't get me wrong but nothing that made me sit up and think this guys bloody good.

I suppose its what happened on the day rather than over a season but for me Duncan Tappy stood head and shoulders above the other nominees this year. In 3 seasons of top line car racing he's dominated 2 of them.....or at least 1 and a half of them and for me has the brightest future of the 6 nominees.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2080691)   #36
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Gaz, Tappy should be rewarded for his career to date, his CV is sparkling already. I really thought he would win it. At least he won British Club driver of the year. But I would say Wilson did stand out anyway- 16 year old in his first season in fairly powerful cars and he finished 2nd only behind Bridgman with a few wins. That for me is a notable performance.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 18:54 (Ref:2080862)   #37
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duncan didn't dominate this year by any means. It took until the final race weekend of the season for the title to be decided.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 19:43 (Ref:2080889)   #38
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally feel that Stefan Wilson is a worthy winner for his performances in FPA relative to some more experienced drivers were quite impressive.

My understanding is that the award is presented to the driver who impresses the most in the assessment tests and not to the driver who can claim the have the 'best' CV.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 23:16 (Ref:2081018)   #39
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
My understanding is that the award is presented to the driver who impresses the most in the assessment tests and not to the driver who can claim the have the 'best' CV.
Correct. Their performance throughout the season earns them the call-up (via a public vote), but their performances during the assessment decide the winner. Otherwise there'd be no point in the assessment - They'd just give it to the guy with the most votes.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2081303)   #40
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Tappy would have wrapped the Formula Renault title up before the final round if it wasn't for the dropped score ruling and the fact he was excluded from the Brands round for a very minor technical reason. In terms of sheer performance he dominated - just like he did in the second half of his season in Formula Ford in 2005.

I can see the arguement for Wilson, it will be interesting to see how he progresses from here against much stiffer competition. I've never really been overly convinced by Palmer Audi, the opposition was certainly stronger this year than in the recent past but comparing it to other similar level national series it still ranks as the weakest. Bridgman may have won it this year but he came in off the back of two pretty awful seasons and his stock is certainly much lower now than it was when he won Formula BMW.