Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:01 (Ref:2277241)   #26
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the separate races for Group A and C can I ask which you think would put on a better show, splitting all group A cars from all Group C cars or splitting into combined under 2 litre and over 2 litre? I'll be honest and say the latter, sure it makes it harder for me with so many V8s in Group C that would then be in my race, but I think we'd wind up with 2 much closer races, your thoughts????
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:57 (Ref:2277255)   #27
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Re the separate races for Group A and C can I ask which you think would put on a better show, splitting all group A cars from all Group C cars or splitting into combined under 2 litre and over 2 litre? I'll be honest and say the latter, sure it makes it harder for me with so many V8s in Group C that would then be in my race, but I think we'd wind up with 2 much closer races, your thoughts????
Well you are in a Historic Touring Car category, replicating a bygone era - so separate Group C & A races should be the only option.

Isn't the inclusion of Group C within the 5th Category with the addition of Group A originally only to "build up the numbers" and eventually Group A would be a separate category entirely?
Old 29 Aug 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2277264)   #28
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
David, i agree that separating the field by engine size will create much closer racing and more of a spectacle.

However, separating Group C from Group A would be more "correct" from a historic angle, eg. you wouldn't have Toranas & Falcons dicing with Skylines & Sierras.

It all comes down to what's most important, history or close racing?
Old 29 Aug 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2277482)   #29
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Oh, yeah - exactly. He brought both cars - the Camaro and the John Harvey A9-X. And didn't get to drive - and was never going to be driving.

Kramer
He did also have one arm in a sling too guys..........
Old 30 Aug 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2277833)   #30
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
He did also have one arm in a sling too guys..........

So why was he lifting drums with the arm that was in the sling ??

I think it may have been a cover up !!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 04:10 (Ref:2277862)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
So why was he lifting drums with the arm that was in the sling ??

I think it may have been a cover up !!
Check the program for DVR: A.N. Other
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2278017)   #32
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
David, i agree that separating the field by engine size will create much closer racing and more of a spectacle.

However, separating Group C from Group A would be more "correct" from a historic angle, eg. you wouldn't have Toranas & Falcons dicing with Skylines & Sierras.

It all comes down to what's most important, history or close racing?

Anyone else have a view???
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2278019)   #33
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think separation by category is better. I'd rather see cars compete against their past competition.... seeing the M3 terrorise the bigger cars was always a highlight...
Old 30 Aug 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2278042)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Anyone else have a view???
Take a leaf out of the old Touring Car Challenge book, and run an open practice session... grade the cars on the basis of their competitive speed, and reallocate spots in various races on the basis of previous race performances.

Keeps the quick cars with the quick cars, and the blokes preserving history in their own session.

Surely a much better option that a 30 second a lap disparity between first and last?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Aug 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2278627)   #35
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
seeing the M3 terrorise the bigger cars was always a highlight...
I hope to reproduce those days next weekend.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2278647)   #36
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the races are long enough for much lapping of backmarkers then GTR's point has merit otherwise I would say split by category. I don't think these races can really be used as a sensible comparison between cars given different levels of preparation & driving.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2278659)   #37
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Last year's race 2 had a 20 second a lap difference between the fastest and the slowest. In a 6 lap race the front runners should nearly be able to see the back markers at the end of the race, I hope to be able to still see the front runners.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2278685)   #38
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should the "Fantastic Five' be Six ??

This car may not have always been a front runner but is a significant part of OZ racing history.

The boys have been out to Baskerville the weekend after having some engine trouble during its first run back in March, Diff trouble on Saturday but had a good run today.

Thomo is making an apperance at the MCM and hoping to have a steer
Old 31 Aug 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2278975)   #39
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Norm Beechey taking up the 409 Impala?
Old 2 Sep 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2280042)   #40
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got the entry lists available to post?

They were advertising the group a 5 litre vehicles leading up to the event, are any showing up?

This event could really go off if they put the cars original drivers in the races, or featured a guest list of 5 or so current v8supercar drivers to really show what they can do.

No offense to some of the owner drivers but some of the cars just arent where they should be come race day.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2280442)   #41
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
9 cars,

S Andrew
A Cantrell
S Ingwersen
A Chahda
M Telfer
P Groeneveld
J Vergotis
J English
G Leaton

Many of these guys I raced in the Touring Car Challenge, I therefore presume some are in ex Super Taxis and others are in Future Tourers.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2280514)   #42
speedraced04
Rookie

speedraced04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and then there are a couple from AMRS "heritage", including a Magna, and Monaro...
Old 3 Sep 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2280633)   #43
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't wait for Sunday will be going.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2282819)   #44
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Great day's racing in poor conditions. Managed to win one from 5th (if you don't count the juimp start and black flag) only to have it taken away along with $150 of my hard earned. Revised position...11th, ouch. Ran 3rd in the Group A race after a spin and slight kiss of the wall out of turn 3. No major damage. Huge field in the combined races and expect more Sunday as a few didn't run in the wet today.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2282836)   #45
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't wait for tomorrow bugger the rain but anyway i don't mind abit of mud on the shoes if it means good racing.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2282838)   #46
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, bring on Sunday. I CBF going out today, I had better things to do than stand in the pouring rain and wind. Good to hear the car's ok David, look forward to some more giant-killing tomorrow.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2283070)   #47
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Bugger, it's bright and sunny this morning, I'm going to the track early to muster up a crew to do a rain dance (it's the only way I've got a chance against the V8s and turbos), I've got hats and shirts for sale at the track.
Cheers
David
Old 7 Sep 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2283170)   #48
alfacors
Veteran

Some great hustle in the dry today mate..... great racing from all quarters actually.... we need more meets like this!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2283175)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So where are Mr Ashwood's cars? And the 20-odd Sierras built in the Group A era that ran here?

The entry list is stronger for Group A/C but jeez there must be some full garages across the land....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Sep 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2283192)   #50
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Some great hustle in the dry today mate..... great racing from all quarters actually.... we need more meets like this!
Come on Alfa, you know there are six State Championship meetings in NSW a year. Maybe the cars aren't as historically significant (at least to those who don't own/build them) but the racing is pretty damn good!

From the historical point of view, the GP C & A Guys (& Girls) are regulars at HSRCA meetings, as are App J, and the Biante can be seen at those other meetings that occur from time to time.

Glad the weather was better today.