Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2277340)   #26
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell Phill, a truly great driver....
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2277345)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes I hope they might do that too...

A great driver and a gentleman. RIP
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2277364)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, another racing legend gone.

Never a personal favourite, as I was a Graham nut, but one of those I always respected as better than most.

Sadly, I never got to meet him, despite having been at the same meeting on occasion.

I hope they have some quick cars wherever you are now, Phil!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 14:22 (Ref:2277486)   #29
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a small tribute with some unique shots of the great man behind the wheel of some of the cars that made him famous

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/
Old 29 Aug 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2277510)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard myself. Terrible way to start the holiday weekend. RIP Phil.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2277760)   #31
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Phil.

I enjoyed speaking briefly with Phil at several Goodwood Festivals and Revivals. Reminded him of an autograph he signed for me in the early sixties at Goodwood, which I still have.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2277823)   #32
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was indeed sad news! Phil was an icon in the motorsporting world, and will be sadly missed!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 03:56 (Ref:2277860)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Vastly underrated as an F1 driver. Largely unappreciated for the talent he had in sports cars as well. A gentleman. A champion. By all accounts a true friend.

Forza Mr. Hill. Rest in Peace.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2277961)   #34
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil Hill R..P.

Phil Hill has passed away, aged 81. R.I.P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...ne.motorsports
Old 30 Aug 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2277976)   #35
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been away and I have only just found this. Like Tim I was a Graham nut but Phil was a great driver and ambassador for the sport. I never met him but did see him race the Shelby Cobra Daytona at Goodwood a few years ago.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2278096)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The passing of a true motor racing legend..RIP Mr Phil Hill..
Old 30 Aug 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2278097)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks Mark!

However, there's a big tribute thread going on in the main F1 forum for the time being:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109337
Old 30 Aug 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2278101)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok guys, I'm moving this one to Tribute's forum where it will be merged and we all can have one big thread about.

Keep posting.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2278368)   #39
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An interesting fact about Phil Hill is that he raced at LeMans 14 times. He only finished 3 times and won all three!

DK
Old 30 Aug 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2278374)   #40
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
A respectable record, no question.

We can all be thankful, at least, despite the inevitable sadness that goes with death, that he died of old age rather than via his racing exploits.

R.I.P.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2278902)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
merely surviving in the time in which he raced while winning in every type of racing he entered, is proof enough that he was one of the best ever to sit behind the wheel...God Speed, Phil.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2279019)   #42
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Winning in a car that was a veritable dinosaur says it all for me.

It saddens me in a way that he was not more "popular" than he was. His nature was not to promote himself, really and from what I understand, one would never know that they were just talking to an F1 WDC. He did not "promote" himself like some do.

A true gentleman.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2279023)   #43
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been fortunate enough to meet Phil Hill many times. He was a wonderful man, a fantastic driver, technician and writer.
Very few people have been as versatile as Phil was; he loved motorsports and historic cars with all his heart, was always ready to talk and knew more about cars than any other Formula 1 driver.
He will be missed. RIP
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2279053)   #44
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I will never forget the time I saw Mr.Hill at a Goodwood festival of speed weekend,were he drove,amongst others,the Chris Rea Ferrari replica.
What really impressed me,was the fact that after one of his runs in that car,he got his hands dirty fixing a problem with the master brakecylinder!

A truelly great driver and a very simpathatic bloke.

R.I.P. Phil Hill
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2279056)   #45
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ash Automobilia has a nice tribute page to Phil Hill with links to many articles about him for those of you who wish to learn more about him. Here's the link:

http://ashcom.homestead.com/PhilHillTribute.html

DK
Old 2 Sep 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2280021)   #46
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too met Phil Hill at Goodwood, and asked him to make out his autograph to me. We had a laugh as I share his name. A real gentleman has passed.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2282331)   #47
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil, fine racer and gentleman. Farewell
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2286512)   #48
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell to a truly great man, and a gifted driver. To have raced, won, and survived back then is amazing enough, to have remained a nice man throughout is astonishing.
The number of us posting here who saw/met/spoke with him at events like Goodwood are testament to his down-to-earth approachable nature.
You'll be missed Phil.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2286525)   #49
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg73861pe2.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg91611zb6.jpg

Links to two shots that I just uploaded, showing the man during the 2006 Chaparral celebration at Laguna Seca. First shot with Vic Elford and Jim Hall, scond shot driving the 2F, in memory of the 1967 BOAC victory.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2306050)   #50
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Phil at Silverstone in the early 60's