Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Feb 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1840596)   #26
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
And who drove that Merc. 190?
Roger Eccles. Came over from the UK sponsored by Shanahans and won the Saloon Race in the Leinster Trophy, just, from Derek Shorthall in a rented Capri and Des Cullen in an RS2000. He then came back a few weeks later for the Phoenix Park races, which he won too!
Old 13 Feb 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1840601)   #27
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Park was run before the Leinster Trophy , THAT YEAR.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1840633)   #28
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Those street races look mad
...although, looking at other threads, this is the same motorsport association which has brought in draconian regs for overalls this season - how things change!
Old 13 Feb 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1840692)   #29
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
I think that was a mistake and has been sorted!!! Certainly I'm going rallycrossing on Sunday with no (fireproof) underwear!!! Commando I think they call it!!!!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 08:00 (Ref:1840976)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
That's Liam Rabbitt, still racing until recently, although a little more portly now, like us all!!! I don't think the second car ever took to the track, (although I may be wrong,) so I'm not sure who the second hopeful is with his lid on the roof!!!
Interesting, it looks a pretty professional operation for the day doesn't it. I wonder what happened to those imps.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 08:07 (Ref:1840983)   #31
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Dunlaoighre only ran the once...dont know why but I would hazard a guess that it was too dangerous even for us. Just look at the Capri.
That was Mick Fizgerald's Capri that decided to take a closer look at the Dun Laoire scenery. A few weeks later Mick had a 'careful owner, low mileage' MkII 3.0 Ghia road car for sale in the Evening Press (!)
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1841080)   #32
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah thats right, I had forgotten it was him. I think he hit every solid object between The Purty Kitchen and the hairpin at the end of the not very straight straight(!). I seem to remember a couple of big single seater (FF2000?) shunts too. I think RTE ran highlights on tv. Someone also had Dundalk on tv, as I recall seeing a round of the Fiesta series from the uk. Anyone got them on tape?
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1841101)   #33
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Interesting, it looks a pretty professional operation for the day doesn't it. I wonder what happened to those imps.
I'm Liams nephew and while most of this was going on I was only a very young boy (about 4 or 5) I do remember the Imp and being allowed steer it around the paddock and going for a passenger seat spin around the Park in it, hanging onto the rollcage...I took over Liams race Uno about 99 and he hasn't really raced since.

The IMP came to a end on a hill-climb in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, Liam lost it coming out of last corner and crossed the line backwards, recording his fastest time of the day....Unfortunately he couldn't steer it too well in reverse and ended up on top of a small stone wall, destroying it forever.

The second car, was basically a spare rolling chassis as far as I know, dunno who the second guy is... I've sent the photo to Liam, so he might remember.

Fantastic to see these photos, really wished I was racing then and not now!!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1841255)   #34
davyboy
Veteran

Thanks for that... brilliant info there ! Such a pity the Imp came to a demise... may have been Cruagh, that final bend after the hairpin bridge was deceptive and made hazzardous by the cambered roads up there.

I think few would disagree with you on racing then rather than now.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1841272)   #35
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Certainly I'm going rallycrossing on Sunday with no (fireproof) underwear!!! Commando I think they call it!!!!
OVERSHARE!!!!!!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 13:42 (Ref:1841287)   #36
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe that was at Enniskerry Hillclimb. Ended up a fair mess so it did. The following year the finish was moved back down the hill to prevent it happening again. They still tried though! Spent many a wet Sat / Sun in May watching people crashing both there and at Cruagh further up the mountains. Oh how I laughed....'til I stuck my Golf through the gate at the last corner at Cruagh!!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1841366)   #37
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think few would disagree with you on racing then rather than now.
I think we all like to think that, but when I look deep into my heart, I'm quite happy racing now with the safety net of modern safety advances (circuits, organisation, car safety, etc)
Old 14 Feb 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1841713)   #38
davyboy
Veteran

Things have improved from a safety perspective you're right, which is a good thing... but the cars and the class structures have been dulled down a lot - not so good. I don't believe that one has been contingent on the other... just changes over the passage of time.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1841973)   #39
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
I don't have a death wish, so obviously the safety these days is far more favourable... The whole scene just seemed to be healthier and better in nearly every other way..

I think it was the Cruagh Hillclimb by the way, name sounds familiar
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1843652)   #40
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Display Cars?? Back in the 70's!! Liam was years ahead of his time!! If I slip on my anorak for a moment(!) I think the second car may have eventually taken to the track a few years later with Ray Fitzpatrick driving it!!
As for the last corner at Enniskerry, many, many cars came unstuck there. I was sitting on the ditch there with my dad in the early 80's when John Smith's Opel Kadett GT/E did a wall of death act there and destroyed the timing gear when it landed on its roof. I think Col's Dad had a big one at Enninkerry that year in the Imp too, I'm sure Col can tell us?

By the way, Con rang me the other night, he had heard about this thread and said he is working on his "Golden Oldies part two" pictures. He'll let me know when he is uploading it so I'll post here when I hear!!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1843661)   #41
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Yeah thats right, I had forgotten it was him. I think he hit every solid object between The Purty Kitchen and the hairpin at the end of the not very straight straight(!). I seem to remember a couple of big single seater (FF2000?) shunts too. I think RTE ran highlights on tv. Someone also had Dundalk on tv, as I recall seeing a round of the Fiesta series from the uk. Anyone got them on tape?
Have Dundalk and Dun Laoire on tape!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1843705)   #42
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the old man went off on the hill in Enniskerry he came around corner flat in 3rd on slicks and there was a stream running across the road and from the second the car hit the water the old mad was just there for the ride and what a ride it was the 2 near side magnesium wheels exploded when they hit the kerb and the fiberglass front was ripped off but the damage was more to the left side front wishbone and the mount point for the shock so thats how the car ended up with a semi space frame front .
Old 17 Feb 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1843773)   #43
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Have Dundalk and Dun Laoire on tape!
PC World or similar shops do a converter thing for putting VHS onto your computer, only about €30. You should really archive that collection of yours Motormouth before the tapes (and you) get too old!!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1843978)   #44
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
By the way, Con rang me the other night, he had heard about this thread and said he is working on his "Golden Oldies part two" pictures. He'll let me know when he is uploading it so I'll post here when I hear!!
Can't wait to see this. Has he been taking pictures that long ? Who was the photographer who got behind the wheel of Norman Williams' black Capri in the 1980s [I very nearly bought that car to race in prodsaloons] ? He used to hang out at the Shell/Eircell [or whatever its known as these days] hairpin at Mondello waiting for us to bin it there.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1844196)   #45
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-5
PC World or similar shops do a converter thing for putting VHS onto your computer, only about €30. You should really archive that collection of yours Motormouth before the tapes (and you) get too old!!
Thanks for that info,I also have the Dundalk coverage on tape as well as a lot of other stuff people have asked for.Last VCR/disc copying machine I saw was around £250.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1844210)   #46
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great pics. A bit of a more recent query, where and why were there DTM Alfa's in Ireland ?
Old 18 Feb 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1844448)   #47
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Great pics. A bit of a more recent query, where and why were there DTM Alfa's in Ireland ?
they ran a 2 car demo at the Phoenix Park in 1997.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1844630)   #48
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Can't wait to see this. Has he been taking pictures that long ? Who was the photographer who got behind the wheel of Norman Williams' black Capri in the 1980s [I very nearly bought that car to race in prodsaloons] ? He used to hang out at the Shell/Eircell [or whatever its known as these days] hairpin at Mondello waiting for us to bin it there.
It was Michael Chester.
www.chester.ie
Old 19 Feb 2007, 23:51 (Ref:1845933)   #49
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
I was talking to Con at Mondello on Sunday and he was delighted with the interest in his old photo's and promised plenty more soon, but obviously very time consuming to scan/save/upload every original.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1871377)   #50
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
More Old Mondello Pics now Up!

I dug out all my old pics from my days as a budding motorsport photographer (back in the late 80's) the other week and gave them to Con Connolly. He has just scanned them and they are now up on his site, www.conconnolly.com