Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2547195)   #26
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh this is brilliant, most people here know how much I supported Kimi (after the Mika days) can't wait for it, if it happens. Definately on the Kimi camp if it is Lewis VS Kimi.
It would be great to be behind one of the two McLaren drivers as opposed to just being behind the team - I love a good competition!

Roll on 2010.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2548051)   #27
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Sportbild, Banco Santander is offering 25 million euro to McLaren if McLaren signs Raikkonen.

http://www.sportbild.de/sportbild/ge...894500000.html
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2548125)   #28
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffacus View Post
Who said anything about Gary challenging Lewis He's known to McLaren (and Mercedes) and he could be their unofficial number 2.
May as well keep Heikki then.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2548196)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This still smacks of Ron's influence - remember the Marlboro days when he just had to have big name drivers unless it was absolutely impossible?

Raikkonen of 4-5 years ago would be an excellent prospect against Lewis, but not anymore.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2548220)   #30
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well he's seemingly driving well at the moment. That said, IMO the Raikkonen of 2005 would still have trouble against Lewis. I don't think he has changed much at all really
Old 25 Sep 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2548237)   #31
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
This still smacks of Ron's influence - remember the Marlboro days when he just had to have big name drivers unless it was absolutely impossible?
Yes, that was all Ron's influence, wasn't it?
It had absolutely nothing to do with Marlboro demanding a high profile driver.

It was only the main reason why Mansell drove for them during the 1995 season.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2548247)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They already have a high profile driver though, don't they . Lewis is perfectly capable of winning another WDC provided McLaren get the right car together, and I think that next year they will have a better start to the season than 2009.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2548265)   #33
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those questioning Kimi's abilities - did it ever occur to you, in light of Badoer&Fisi's 'results', that it might be that Kimi is making that car look much better than it really is?

Before you ask - yes, I like the guy a lot, and would welcome him back at Mac...
Old 25 Sep 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2548292)   #34
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
For those questioning Kimi's abilities - did it ever occur to you, in light of Badoer&Fisi's 'results', that it might be that Kimi is making that car look much better than it really is?
No, because neither of them had ever driven the car properly before they made their debuts in practice

When Massa was around, he had the edge on him. Again
Old 25 Sep 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2548300)   #35
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
They already have a high profile driver though, don't they .
Indeed, however, McLaren have shown a tendancy where possible to have two top line drivers; such as Lauda/Prost, Prost/Rosberg, Prost/Senna, etc. As such, if they have the opportunity to sign an excellent driver, I'm sure they will take the opportunity.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2548327)   #36
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If McLaren want another constructors championship, Heikki ought to go.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2548404)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Were? to pick up the Kimster!
Old 26 Sep 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2548539)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Yes, that was all Ron's influence, wasn't it?
It had absolutely nothing to do with Marlboro demanding a high profile driver.

It was only the main reason why Mansell drove for them during the 1995 season.
It's not that clear cut otherwise Alfa would likely have been forced to do the same rather than Chitti making the decisions when they also had title sponsorship in the early 80's.

Marlboro, then West, then Johnny Walker.....

Ron was at the helm.....
Old 26 Sep 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2548540)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Indeed, however, McLaren have shown a tendency where possible to have two top line drivers; such as Lauda/Prost, Prost/Rosberg, Prost/Senna, etc. As such, if they have the opportunity to sign an excellent driver, I'm sure they will take the opportunity.
That's what you need if you want to win the Constructors Championship.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2548578)   #40
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
When Massa was around, he had the edge on him. Again
Funny, how Kimi, or rather his car, immediately found its speed after Massa was sidelined.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 Sep 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2548591)   #41
cobra77
Rookie

cobra77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ View Post
Funny, how Kimi, or rather his car, immediately found its speed after Massa was sidelined.
Actually it looked like Kimi was on his way to beat Massa in Hungary before Massa crashed out.

I do think however that Smedley is much better engineer and makes Massa look better. I think Kimi can't communicate with the Ferrari engineers and doesn't get 100% out of the car.
I have got the picture that Ferrari is not the right team for Kimi even if he says he is happy there.

The Kimi - Ferrari partnership has been a disapointment. Hope Kimi goes back to McLaren.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2548596)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Martin Brundle just said that it's "the Raikkonen hustle" that's getting the Ferrari where it has been lately. The rear end looked a bit nervous in Q1 and Kimi was leaving himself a margin between the car and the walls.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2549178)   #43
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beeb just asked Martin W the question and he is the worst lier ever! Didn't answer but just grinned!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2549676)   #44
cobra77
Rookie

cobra77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks quite sure now that Kimi is back to Mac ;-)
Old 28 Sep 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2549678)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Certainly from what Haug is saying,you would now think that it's as sure as Alonso to Ferrari.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79008
Old 28 Sep 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2549926)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Why am I thinking that this will be a massive mistake for all but Kimi's agents and bank balance?
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2549976)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You never quite know what you'll get with Raikkonen, but maybe McLaren know how to manage him? If he doesn't offer somethng extra to the sponsors and the team setup that Lewis doesn't, who does? As long as he'd accept being second to Lewis (which I think he realistically would be if the car's competitive), it could be a good move. A world champion being signed as fairly-definite #2 would be pretty unusual.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2550085)   #48
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Risky move, I don't see why Kimi wouldn't be able to push Lewis all the way and beat him if he gets equality. Do Mclaren really want this?

On the other hand, he'd be good signing from a car design perspective, or at least to my knowledge. Both drivers prefer an oversteering car which would mean they'd both be pulling in the same direction. I'm now sure someone more knowledgeable than me will tell me I'm wrong.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2550119)   #49
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
As long as he'd accept being second to Lewis (which I think he realistically would be if the car's competitive), it could be a good move. A world champion being signed as fairly-definite #2 would be pretty unusual.
I don't think that Kimi will play number 2 to anyone!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2550150)   #50
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait to either post or vote on a poll titled "Raikkonen vs Hamilton". Let's save that for just prior to the 2010 season opener.

I vote Kimi!
Closed Thread