Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Oct 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2571881)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 View Post
I particullary liked the banners that said "WHO NEEDS A1 WHEN YOU GOT****ANYWAY"
The one I saw, **** = Rum (?)
Old 29 Oct 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2571973)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Do the S2000 cars still race at the Macau F3 event?
That would be good, both touring cars and F3.

TC and the FIA could have a mighty tussle over who gets the good pits. Could it pave the path for Aussies to start to seek to progress from supertaxis up to the "world championship"?
Old 29 Oct 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2572129)   #28
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always thought this was going to be a flop even if A1 had turned up. F3 isn't really the answer either IMO, if we wanted that we'd support the local title more rather than import a field (and we do that at the GP anyway). Personally I'd be shocked if there is another event there.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2572317)   #29
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here...

Quote:
I don't know what they will do about future Gold Coast events, but I agree with our team boss (Roland Dane) about the possibility of getting the Formula 3 guys here before they head to Macau in November.

I know the V8s would like to be the number one category and be in control of our own destiny, but we also need some fantastic support categories.

I'm sure F3 would be acceptable. They are top-notch open-wheelers and not particularly noisy. Most of the corporates don't want cars as noisy as Indy or A1s, but the F3 cars are still full-spec racers. It's also one of the most competitive categories.

Despite crowds being down because of the uncertainty there was still that awesome Indy vibe and thousands of people enjoying themselves with that carnival/party atmosphere. I'd hate to see the event lose that vibe.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 02:15 (Ref:2572320)   #30
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Toads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, with all this talk of the Macau F3's lately. I thought I better source some footage to see what they're like. I managed to get to hold of last years race. So far, I've only seen the 10 lap dash they have on the Saturday, for the grid positions for the Sunday's race, and from what I seen. They're quite a messy bunch, with just as many bingles, if not more than what the A1GP guys used to get up too.

But yeah, It could be a viable category. But the thing that concerns me is how long it would take (if at all) for the Fans and the Surfers Event to embrace the series.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 03:17 (Ref:2572329)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised people would want a F3 race over a Sportscar race.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2572331)   #32
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think anyone is taking issue with the fact that a majority of the fans that attend Surfers are attracted by the V8s.
The problems are:
1: We need a strong co-headline series to attract to the circuit the fans that are not attracted by the V8s.
2: The event needs something else to attract TV audiences both overseas and domestic. The V8 Ch7 ratings were reasonable, but only half Bathurst. The V8 product has little acceptance on overseas TV
3: Most of the V8 audience is local or Brisbane and do not contribute to the accommodation market or to the higher end restaraunt, club or retail businesses who provide the major "political" support.
4: After a "V8 only" weekend there are a lot of people who do not think that V8 fans are the group that helpd in image promotion of the Gold Coast.
5: Both the State Govt. and Gold Coast City Council are now under a huge level of pressure to justify spendig over $11 million in state funds and around $800,000 in council rate money on a party with a very local guest list.

TC has come up with a shortened circuit concept which on careful examination would seem to cut costs marginaly. It does little to change the disruptive effect on traffic during event build up and dismantling. It looses the support paddock area and a lot of the prime viewing areas in those places which have gained most from event income, probably puts more pressure on the Macintosh Park precinct and still does nothing to address the conflict between the event and the Light Rail plan. And he comes up with the statement that the cars will come round more often for the fans to see.
Personally I think adding a mixture of European, Asian and Australian F3s together with a strong domestic series not related to V8s,(ie GT/Sports) to a a V8 double header could set the Carnival back on track, but please don't make that possibility out of the question by shortening the circuit.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 04:14 (Ref:2572332)   #33
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'm surprised people would want a F3 race over a Sportscar race.
I tend to agree with you, mountainstar. Personally, If they're chasing an OW series, they shouldn't aim any lower than the GP2 series. Which seems next to impossible to wrangle.

Which is why I'd be keen to see either ALMS, FIA GT or Grand-Am as i've previously stated. IRL shouldn't be left out the question but it also seems they got to lift their game a bit as well. Maybe a couple of years time, they can regroup and step up to the plate.

Off Topic: I've been ticked off with the years of clashing between CART/Champcar and IRL. Then to see IRL come out on top, and when they got the ball, they dropped it. CART/Champcar was a world class series at the height of their game 'n to see it all unfold to what we have today. Nearly brings a tear to my eye.

On Topic: Yes, this years event is definately the events lowest point, over the years..
Old 30 Oct 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2572345)   #34
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toads View Post
IRL shouldn't be left out the question but it also seems they got to lift their game a bit as well. Maybe a couple of years time, they can regroup and step up to the plate.
With Power, Dixon and Briscoe all competing in the top 2 teams in the series I would think that the IRL should be #1 on that list. No need to step up to the plate, they are stomping all over it.

The only stumbling block is the timing of the event.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2572349)   #35
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So would the Gold Coast and Melbourne try to "Trade Horses" and get the IRL to Surfers in March (like it used to be) and the F1 to Albert Park in October? Maybe a MotoGP/F1 Fortnight? Would be a killer 3 weeks for Australian Motorsport Fans.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2572351)   #36
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with holding it in March is that it is the tail end of the cyclone season - how many event were caught up in that? 2 or 3?. Whilst it is possible for the season to start earlier than November, the probability is higher that they will come in later in the season rather than earlier.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:17 (Ref:2572354)   #37
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed that IRL is probably the best drawcard in open wheelers outside F1.
Problem for the Gold Coast is three fold, timing, cost and reliability.
A deal needs to be negotiated with someone in the next couple of weeks and it needs to be cost effective and reliable.
Is IRL either cost effective or reliable. Right now the IRL organisation looks about as solid as A1GP looked at the time that deal was negotiated last year. Who do you negotiate with, and what is the timing on both an agreement and on their ability to fit the Gold Coast tourist industry requirements. ie 2nd half October.
Theoretically the advantage of F3 is the possibility of working with Macau on shared costs, not having to deal with a series promoter, but with individual teams, and being able to fit them in with the circuit spectator drawing V8s.
LMP, ALMS, GP2, FIA GT would all be great, but would all require dealing with a promoter. But then my name is Tony so maybe I could get a gig.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2572355)   #38
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
No need to step up to the plate, they are stomping all over it.
I can't say for sure. But what I've seen on ESPN (in Australia), they're not exactly packing out the grandstands at a lot of rounds. Fans tend to be restricted to one little section, on most of the ovals.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2572364)   #39
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The real question is not what would be the best motorsport category for the purists. The real question is, what will attract the casual motorsport watcher and the non-interested party animal to the event.

Personally the F3 option appeals to me for a whole bunch of motorsport reasons. But these are not the reasons to justify government expenditure and to sell to the general public.

For whatever reasons, ticket sales were well down, even before the A1GP pulled out. I'm sure the recession had an impact.

But the A1GP is not a well known category. At least when it was Indy, it was a stable category from a casual observers point of view. It was still Indy. 80% of the people attended Indy didn't know of the issues, the split, the financial issues, poor quality grids. It was Indy and Indy was always a great party and good racing.

When it was no longer called Indy, it was something new and different. I think that this had an effect.

Also, as someone else pointed out, with a Townsville race, people would prioritise a new event in a different place as an option over the same-old event. Especially in the middle of winter. Surfers during Indy time is not an attractive place, particularly for families.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2572371)   #40
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
But originally, particularly in the CART days Indy was "family friendly" and something of a social "must do" event for the high rollers. A totaly different image tp say Bathurst. Somehow Clipsall has managed to retain some of that (if not all) in the transition from F1 to V8SC. Surfers hasn't.
The trick is to somehow get a bit of variety into it. Certainly it will disappear if it can only attract "party animals". They may be buying admission tickets, but they make very littlr contribution by way of image promotion or spending on anything but booze and team merchandise. That doesn't encourage State and Local Govt. to spend over $12 million on an excuse for McPhillamy Park behavior.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2572420)   #41
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly it will disappear if it can only attract "party animals".
But be honest - the Gold Coast, and particularly Surfers, has a reputation for being the destinaton of choice for 'party animals', layabouts and drinkers (schoolies, footballers etc)

It would take a massive change in attitude of the whole area for it to be accepted as anything but this.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2572422)   #42
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 into Europe / Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Macau and similar F3 events generally only get a highlights package internationally, although the WTCC goes out live on Eurosport. Champ Car and IRL have always had fairly extensive live coverage, however, and I get the impression that the kudos of having a live international event is what the politicos of Surfers desire most.

Curiously, the V8 coverage for this event up here is less than it is for a normal round. Motors generally show delayed but full coverage. The only trace I can find this time is a highlights show on Channel 5, although that is a free-to-air channel, not satelite.
Interesting Woolley, can you advise the extent of the TV coverage of Macau
F3, time & coverage.
Dont suppose you have access to the coverage in Asia?

For the Aussies posting, only F3 seem to fill the bill even if your preference is sporties or tourers. I'm wrong if the international exposure counts for nil.

With a history involving names well known outside motor racing circles like Senna & Schumaker plus the current young guns like Ricciardo (an Aussie) & Hartley (a Kiwi), a relationship with Macau could reduce costs, be acceptable to the political masters (the Q government) & be a promoters PR dream.

V8s in their place as lead support.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2572455)   #43
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
But be honest - the Gold Coast, and particularly Surfers, has a reputation for being the destination of choice for 'party animals', layabouts and drinkers (schoolies, footballers etc)

It would take a massive change in attitude of the whole area for it to be accepted as anything but this.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2572523)   #44
Donnaracer
Rookie

Donnaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do you start?

Aside from the V8's the track was a ghost town, there were loooong intervals of nothing.....and while the GC people should be applauded for getting the legend category onto the track with the old t/cars, these were barely exhibition laps at that....it won't cut the mustard long term...
There is talk of it going down a Goodwood Festival road, but that wont work at a place like Surfers.

Its tinsel-town, the **** centre of the country, let's be honest - thats all it is, aside from housing the nation's most concentrated group of con artists, bankrupts and plastic surgery recipients! But I digress..

It does show up magnificently on television and it is a tourist bonanza if quality international television exposure is gained, as it was in the early Indy years (No Tony Cochrane, 4:00am on pay tv in limited parts of the USA doesn't cut it for big tourism dollars to be spent on just V8's), then it can work.

The issue from all of these posts is to whom do they turn, and in precious little time. My money is on F3 - will take some educating, but GP2 means sod all to Aussies, Superleague - well they are next to go broke and proclaim that they are not.....

What a sad state of open wheeler racing our country has got to, to have nothing but Formula Fords appear this year.....tragic. A decade ago, this was not the case......we used to have high powered open wheelers until the V8 Development series chewed up all the money and competitors.

Digressing again - a final point, someone nailed it at SuperGP for managing to untie the chains that link Luke West to the mike during the V8s for the whole weekend. Sounded much smoother. Credit due to Wade Aunger, for limiting his wild screaming antics to the Minis - and boy oh boy, weren't they just terrible.

All the best to all involved at SuperGP except the Government morons who wouldn't listen re A1GP. People need to lose their jobs over what has happened - any fool would have told you that the A1's were in the crapper.....no one wanted to listen and people in the Qld Government still believe in the impossible dream.

As for con-artists like Texteira and his A1 mob - he should have at least come down to the Gold Coast, plenty of his kind around these parts. Would have felt right at home. Two bob millionaires a plenty.....

Best of luck because that event deserves much better than what it got this year in terms of attendance and global media coverage.....
Old 30 Oct 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2572667)   #45
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From AR1

Quote:
Secret agenda to scrap Surfers race? Paradise councilor Susie Douglas is turning her back on the SuperGP and encouraging local residents to get together an urgent petition so she can use it to force the Gold Coast City Council to withdraw all support and $500,000 in cash and services for next year's event.

An email leaked to The Bulletin has revealed Cr Douglas told a disgruntled resident she supported his stance to have the four-day carnival scrapped or relocated out of Surfers Paradise.

She told the unnamed constituent that he should, as a matter of urgency, get a petition going 'and I will use it to try to withdraw council's support'. Cr Douglas yesterday admitted she had sent the email but said she wanted the event scrapped if there was no international component and only the V8 Super-cars were involved.

This was in contradiction to the email in which Cr Douglas said she fully supported the unnamed resident's call for the race to be abolished or relocated, irrespective of whether there was an international component, or not.

"The residents have had enough and I said the only way we can move on this is if they get together and talk about the impact it has on their lives," she said.

"The only way the public can get any action is to put a petition through council, so I encouraged them.

"If the council sees the residents have had enough -- without council funding the race can't go ahead."

The council contributes $100,000 in cash and $400,000 worth of services for road closures, street scaping, repainting, toilets, lighting and the rehabilitation of McIntosh Island.

Cr Douglas and her husband, Gaven LNP MP Alexander Douglas, attended the SuperGP event at the weekend as guests in the Government's corporate box.

Despite this, Cr Douglas said she was not impressed by this year's race and there was no support in her division for a V8 Supercars-only event next year.

"They put on a really good show with the V8 cars but we have to reach another level," she said.

"We shut down the city for this event."

She said local residents only put up with the inconvenience because they were told it would bring international coverage and boost property values on the Indy track.

"They don't want to be on a V8 track," she said.

"They bring in the highest level of rates in the city, probably in Queensland, and they deserve some consideration.

"We want an international race or we don't want it at all."

Mayor Ron Clarke, once a vocal opponent of the old Indy race, said he would not support a move to withdraw funding from the event.

"I make no judgment until we get a proper review of what is going on," he said.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2572707)   #46
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally the event lacked something, even in the lead up before A1 fell over.
I feel that even if the A1 cars had turned up the crowds would have been very similar and everone still a bit disapointed.

I originally thought the Indycars might have been past their used by date, but I think I'm wrong. The event started in 91 for Indycars, touring cars/V8's wer'nt on the support card for another 3-4 years. It's always been called 'Indy' even when they were CART/Champcar the event has always been 'Indy'.

Gold Coast needs the IRL and I also think IRL needs GC on their calender as one of their marque events. Maybe smarter heads will prevail on both sides and they can work a bit harder to nut out a deal.

As DRT said with 2 Aussies and a Kiwi driving for big name teams like Penske and Ganassi, if the marketing is done properly the event will hit back big next year.

I don't think the QLD Govenment has the time, money or patients to rebrand and rebuild the event with something like F3, GP2. If they can't get Indycars then they need to set their sights on something big like GT3, DTM or even NASCAR. I still am sure that IRL will be very open to discussion.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2572791)   #47
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Back at the inaugural event back in 91. They did have the AUSCAR's running around. One of the best bits of footage, was when one car stalled in the gravel traps they had on the back (main) straight at the chicanes, and another one got airbourne coming through the chicane and launched over the bonnet of the one stuck in the gravel trap.

Brilliant bit of footage, but they also learnt very quickly that the surfers circuit doesn't lend itself to well to the nature of NASCAR/AUSCAR's, and were never seen at the event since.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 02:54 (Ref:2572810)   #48
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
, the surfers circuit doesn't lend itself to well to the nature of NASCAR/AUSCAR's,
or V8 Supercars.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 03:05 (Ref:2572813)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Back at the inaugural event back in 91. They did have the AUSCAR's running around. One of the best bits of footage, was when one car stalled in the gravel traps they had on the back (main) straight at the chicanes, and another one got airbourne coming through the chicane and launched over the bonnet of the one stuck in the gravel trap.

Brilliant bit of footage, but they also learnt very quickly that the surfers circuit doesn't lend itself to well to the nature of NASCAR/AUSCAR's, and were never seen at the event since.
That was in the NASCAR event, Walter Giles got bogged in the sand at the first chicane. Steve Cosson (the first NASTRACK winner) got into his own accident and lauched over the front of Giles car.

NASCARs and AUSCARs were seen at the event after 1991, infact they were at the first five Gold Coast Indys, from 1991 until 1995.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2572827)   #50
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
NASCARs and AUSCARs were seen at the event after 1991, infact they were at the first five Gold Coast Indys, from 1991 until 1995.
Well there you go. I was under the impression they got turfed after 91 because of that incident (spooked the organisers) as well as they spent more time under red, than green. See, it pays to stay away from the grog 'n follow the racing instead.

Have you any results of these five rounds at Surfers that you mentioned, racer69? As it'd be interesting to see their times etc..