Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Dec 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2595920)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What endangered Frogs, if you don't mind me askin?
Hi Matt - there's an endangered species of frog that lives around Homebush - it was a big issue when the Olympics were on there too. A whole lot of adjustments had to be made for the Olympics and there were restrictions on the track design for the V8 race as well to reduce impact on the frog habitat.

That was why Garry Rogers' cars had green splattered frog stickers on their headlights on the weekend.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2595924)   #27
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
That was why Garry Rogers' cars had green splattered frog stickers on their headlights on the weekend.
That's why I love Garry Rogers!

I just wish poor old Holdsworth hadn't stuffed it in the wall both days.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2595939)   #28
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who have disagreed with my comment about giving it back to EC, how the State Government take the $20,000,000 they are spending on this street circuit and spend it at EC, afterall they do own it.

I bet $20,000,000 could make a real difference there some how.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2595957)   #29
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the NSW government missed an opportunity by not negotiating a round at Eastern Creek as part of the Homebush contract as it would have given NSW an extra round. As it is, if Homebush falls through for any reason, NSW is left with just the Bathurst 1000.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2595968)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Silk purse; sow's ear.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2595982)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
For those who have disagreed with my comment about giving it back to EC, how the State Government take the $20,000,000 they are spending on this street circuit and spend it at EC, afterall they do own it.

It may be that the govt think that they've tipped enough into EC already Trev.

Alternatively, the ARDC presented a plan for assistance to the govt a year ago - if they keep working hard at it, doing all the hard yards as V8s have done, they could see that plan come through in 3-4 years which is similar to the timeframe that V8's accomplished this event in.

Interestingly, Ian McDonald has been put back into cabinet and the BIG justification given by the premier for his inclusion was the success of Homebush - sounds like the govt feel good about the event & more to the point are aligning themselves with it.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2596021)   #32
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
PRE-RACE
Regardless of whether they are a casual fan or a racing nut, I guarantee that 98.7% of people in that main grandstand or watching on television could not care less about tap dancing, cycling or which new hot popstar is going to murder the national anthem. They want a show, they want to see racing, and they want it done professionally. I guarantee that 100% of fans at other parts of the track were bored out of their brain.

- No one does an anthem like the Americans. It should be done on the grid, everyone should come to a standstill, have some soldiers in there standing at attention, have someone singing it with respect and finish it off with some RAAF jets flying over as it finishes. When I see them do this in the States, it almost makes me wish I was American.

- Tap dancing, music acts, and broadway shows do not work at racing events - frankly, it is embarassing. Sound quality is terrible and the acts are always too far away. If you must have a big act there, get them on the grid and do an interview over the big screen, then play their music between races.

- And get rid of the cycling race for next year - it's got nothing to do with why anyone goes to a motor race.

- Driver introductions are important for familiarisation. Though they should be quick and to the point - no one cares how many times Russell Ingall has qualified on pole! "For Supercheap Auto Racing, Car 39, RUSSELL INGAAALLLLL!" Crowd goes wild, Rusty does a little jig, flips the bird to Jason Bright as he walks past him. The drivers are the stars - not Mark Beretta. If Lee Holdsworth wants to show his jocks, he should be allowed to - it's called personality.
+50eleventybillion!!!!!!!111
Why can't you take Tony's place... he can go promote some snow shovelling event or something.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2596026)   #33
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
It is all about TV, how many times do I have to say it, Cochrane couldn't give a **** about the fans who show up to the track
Old 8 Dec 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2596029)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i kept looking for cold chisel to appear on tv, apparently you had to be at the track to see them

Now explain the logic of your comment to me again
Old 8 Dec 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2596038)   #35
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
WTF are you on peck? Seriously you need to talk to your doctor again.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2596068)   #36
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless, all that is off topic. Whatever your opinions, this thread is not about TC or EC. Back to the subject please.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2596306)   #37
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry if its off topic Wooley but needs to be said...

If $20M could change the Management and the "culture" at EC, then it would have a chance.

In reference to an earlier post re EC "success story's", MCM was a concept (nicked) from another promoter at Oran Park and the Tasman Revival was a open wheel copy of the MCM event!

Now back to Homebush...
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2596314)   #38
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Track, open up the exit of T8!

The Venue, I had no issues with toilets in the support paddock area!

The Support Categories need more track time. When at a new circuit, especially a street circuit of this length, for the Organisers to allow a 20 min Practice Session then a 20 min Qual really does put the pressure on the drivers to "get goin' early", this will often result in off's, off's on a street circuit will usually bring out a red flag so the session (unless its the V8's) gets shortened or cancelled so the Organisers can keep the "time critical" schedule on time to allow for the "Corporate and Safety Car Rides" and the bike race!!!!!! I'm also getting mighty tired of the motor-bike show, has Robbie got photo's?

For support categories, The Fix, next year, allow a full 40 min Practice/Familiarisation first up. Then 30 min sessions for Practice and then 20 min for Qual.

For the effort to put the venue together, a four day format like CLIPSAL but without the "stupid" cramming of seven support categories that CLIPSAL plan for 2010.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2596361)   #39
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm still thinking that turn 8 needs to be widened. it may not be possible without a fair bit of cost, but with McConky going into the tires because someone had been up the inside (legitimately) and he was on the marbles without grip. Sure he could have lifted, but if there is a train of cars behind, and he lifts (which was the case although he may or may not have been aware of it) he stands to lose multiple positions. so of course he isn't going to lift. the turn needs to be widened to allow the pass on the inside while still encouraging the defending of the position on exit into Dawn Fraser i feel

Quote:
Hi Matt - there's an endangered species of frog that lives around Homebush - it was a big issue when the Olympics were on there too. A whole lot of adjustments had to be made for the Olympics and there were restrictions on the track design for the V8 race as well to reduce impact on the frog habitat.
further to this Matt, you may notice from an aerial view, on the outside of the track along the pit straight, there is a big open pit (called the brickpit). This is one of the main habitats of said endangered French Cuisine, and has been unable to be developed because of this.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2596406)   #40
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Turn 8 - why is it that turn 8's are contentious? I reckon that if you cannot move half a metre off line, then this isnt a corner which should be part of a "racing" circuit. We are talking about half million dollar cars here...
Better close down every circuit in the world then. Crompo says it regularly during the telecast that you don't want to get off the 'race line' onto the marbles.

Quote:
They were saying that the esses/chicane/whatever near Acer area was too tight. It isnt designed to be an overtaking opportunity. Everyone who drives it is in the same boat... so the simple solution there is to slow down for that corner, or look after you car so you dont pummle the bloody suspension and/or watts linkeage.
Wait, didn't you just say places where you can't go offline shouldn't be on the circuit? Make a decision. Turn 8 isn't meant to be an overtaking position either.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2596414)   #41
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
further to this Matt, you may notice from an aerial view, on the outside of the track along the pit straight, there is a big open pit (called the brickpit). This is one of the main habitats of said endangered French Cuisine, and has been unable to be developed because of this.[/QUOTE]

Unable to be developed ? Haven't they spent millions erecting elevated walkways so during the Mini races (or any other time of the year when there is nothing to do) you can enjoy the golden bell frog habitat, and throw stones at them or feed them bananas or whatever it is you do in a frog sanctuary ??
Old 9 Dec 2009, 01:21 (Ref:2596421)   #42
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Only if they use the money to buy out/kick out the mob currently running the joint. To qoute a famous Basil.. They are a waste of space"...

And I agree with Mac... The drivers should be encouraged to play up to the fans and have a bit of public niggle between each other if they want. Both on and off the track.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2596456)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Old 9 Dec 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2596460)   #44
Mixer
Veteran

Considering average crowd of like 8000 for NRL, that's a great result.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2596565)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
For support categories, The Fix, next year, allow a full 40 min Practice/Familiarisation first up. Then 30 min sessions for Practice and then 20 min for Qual.

For the effort to put the venue together, a four day format like CLIPSAL but without the "stupid" cramming of seven support categories that CLIPSAL plan for 2010.
Agree on more time for the support categories - easy to forget sometimes that they are not full time pros and need to get the eye in more. If you speak to your category manager it should be achievable I would have thought - if the cat managers all speak to the V8 guys you'd think it could all be achieved.

I can see it growing to 4 days eventually - costs quite a bit to run it for that extra day so they probably want to get it really rocking and rolling first - Adelaide only opened out to 4 days in about 2004.

Totally agree on Clipsal with 7 support cats but that has been the case there for a number of years now - makes it hard to give everyone meaningful track time.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2596581)   #46
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Agree on more time for the support categories - easy to forget sometimes that they are not full time pros and need to get the eye in more. If you speak to your category manager it should be achievable I would have thought - if the cat managers all speak to the V8 guys you'd think it could all be achieved.

I can see it growing to 4 days eventually - costs quite a bit to run it for that extra day so they probably want to get it really rocking and rolling first - Adelaide only opened out to 4 days in about 2004.

Totally agree on Clipsal with 7 support cats but that has been the case there for a number of years now - makes it hard to give everyone meaningful track time.
He is the category manager
Old 9 Dec 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2596612)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
He is the category manager
Was being diplomatic - thought that he still might be.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 05:32 (Ref:2597110)   #48
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Better close down every circuit in the world then. Crompo says it regularly during the telecast that you don't want to get off the 'race line' onto the marbles.

Wait, didn't you just say places where you can't go offline shouldn't be on the circuit? Make a decision. Turn 8 isn't meant to be an overtaking position either.
Fair enough questions.

1. In my comments regarding turn 8, I wasn't referring to it's overtaking potential. There were many single car incidents into that corner whereby running wide by a very small margin lead to a notso nice meeting with the wall.

2. The esses/(chicane) comment was referring to people (drivers possibly) complaining about that it was a car wrecker. People were talking about suspension, uprights and even watts linkeage being broken. I'm not really aware of a circuit anywhere in the world where it contains a tight esses which are considedered an overtaking opportunity.

So my recommendations to fix different problems for both of those corners?

Turn 8 - widen it somehow. Either by bringing the apex in a bit, or widening the outside. I didn't go to the event so I don't really know if either way would work.

The chicane? Lower the kerbs a little, and open up the corner a bit.

I'm sure not losing sleep over either of the abovementioned issues.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2597147)   #49
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no issues with the curbs at the chicane, they give the cars some serious attitude, look at the amount of people standing there watching them. Case closed.

Clearly there are a few areas that could do with widening but i don't know if that's acheivable or not as i wasn't there. More GT action would be good.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2597215)   #50
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough questions.

1. In my comments regarding turn 8, I wasn't referring to it's overtaking potential. There were many single car incidents into that corner whereby running wide by a very small margin lead to a notso nice meeting with the wall.
Thats what a street circuit is all about. Any of the tracks on our calendar are the same, run wide, hit wall, the end. Its no surprise that most of the people who want such changes are the same people who would have rathered the event be at EC, a permanent circuit. Homebush is a street circuit, and always will be., Lets not make it something its not!