Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2769387)   #26
Cornerworker
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare, UK
Cornerworker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest directly to the MSA but with a supporting letter from his club in Canada.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2769483)   #27
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
The grade that you are applying for I would imagine is track or experienced track...now I'm sure the hillclimb bunch will correct me if I'm wrong, but the grades for sprints and hillclimbs (or speed events)were separate, and therefore wouldn't count towards your application for the track or experienced track position.
I think you're correct. Somewhat ironic since the average hillclimb marshal handles several very damaged single seaters per season and the average circuit marshal doesn't. Since incident handling for F1 practically never takes place on a live circuit anymore I'd venture a hill-climber is probably better qualified for the job...
Old 5 Oct 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2769654)   #28
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol you have a point there Woolley.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2769719)   #29
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the Status of the meeting actually matter? in the past years I have put a best guess down and never had a problem.

I'm probebly going to set my self up here but do people actually keep their race day programmes, all mine go in the bin on the sunday night...
Old 5 Oct 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2769755)   #30
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
all mine go in the bin on the sunday night...
As do mine because they are normally a soggy wet mess.....

Last time I just did an educated guess at the meeting status and club - seemed to be OK. I assume the MSA would know anyway.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2769768)   #31
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite interesting this, I have allways put down an educated guess as to the grade of meeting, 24 hr is a case in point, I allways put the Ring 24 as international because I had to go to Germany to do it, and would have put down int for the britcar this year, but apparently its a Nat B?

I also allways put BRDC as the organising club of the GP!
Old 5 Oct 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2769825)   #32
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm probebly going to set my self up here but do people actually keep their race day programmes, all mine go in the bin on the sunday night...
Apart from a couple, I have kept every programme from every meeting I've done in over 20 years. Several boxes in the loft are evidence of this.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2769845)   #33
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
Apart from a couple, I have kept every programme from every meeting I've done in over 20 years. Several boxes in the loft are evidence of this.
Precisely why I don't keep mine
Old 10 Oct 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2772771)   #34
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few simple helpers

1. If you do not know the grade of the meeting take a guess - it does not mater that much
2. Same with the organising club (BTW the MSA is the organising club for the GP - NOT the BRDC
3. Hillclimbs, sprints rallies etc DO NOT COUNT
4. I need BMMC forms by Nov 1 so I can have them verified by our regional committees
5. If anyone has specific queries, please give me a call or drop me an e-mail
6. If anyone is not a member of an MSA recognised club but is a marshal let me have your forms and I will forward them as I do our own
7. Remember - the necessary number of days refers to the duty for which you are volunteering - not necessarily your present grade
Old 13 Oct 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2774451)   #35
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry , off topic, but I can't let this go - Bob

Quote:

Shame on you, let John Tillot, Jeff Bloxham or myself have them. John then sells them to collectors in the Far East and the money raised goes to charity.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2774528)   #36
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post

Shame on you, let John Tillot, Jeff Bloxham or myself have them. John then sells them to collectors in the Far East and the money raised goes to charity.
If only you'd mentioned that before!

Prepare to be swamped next time we see you! (Are you interested in NASCAR press packs - mostly mid 90's stuff, but all full colour glossy's and in very good condition?)
Old 14 Oct 2010, 04:35 (Ref:2774675)   #37
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hindsight is is in most cases a perfect science.
Why not simply make a note of the relevant grade of meeting in the margin of your attendance record?
A bit late for this year but could that help for next year?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2774744)   #38
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've often meant to do this Chris, but I suspect that a pretty large proportion of F1 GP regulars are "stable" at their current grading and therefore no longer collecting attendance signatures every meeting. I will occasionally pop a card in for a sig, just in case the MSA ever try to audit the minimum days per year in each of my grades.

If you're hoping to give it a go 12 months from now, then I have no doubt your trick will help you - just make sure you keep a readable photocopy of your card when it goes in for upgrade.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2774762)   #39
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must be in the minority then, as I keep all of my programmes!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2774768)   #40
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
I must be in the minority then, as I keep all of my programmes!
Which doesn't really matter when the permit status isn't listed.........
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2774778)   #41
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post

That's useful to know. When I get around to purging my Donington and GP collection, I will bear that in mind.

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2774787)   #42
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Which doesn't really matter when the permit status isn't listed.........
It's normally listed with the officials for the meeting, or around the same page. I think I've only had one programme where the status wasn't listed, and I suspect that was probably an accident. Where there are more than one listed, e.g. International, National A and National B, the custom is to list the highest (International).
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2774790)   #43
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep a spreadsheet with date, club, circuit, permit and duty in it and then i just copy this list on to the sheet
Old 14 Oct 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2774880)   #44
Trig
Rookie

Trig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had my form from BARC today, asking me to complete the enclosed form ''if you wish to be considered to officiate the 2010 British Grand Prix at Silverstone''. I didn't know that (subject to the paperwork being correctly filled-in) BARC could transport us back in time...
Old 14 Oct 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2774885)   #45
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I,m not going Trig, as i already now the result.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2774951)   #46
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has rather amused me. For the first time in 6 years of Marshalling BARC have sent me forms for the British GP. They obviously don't know me very well!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2774998)   #47
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Bulge View Post
It's normally listed with the officials for the meeting, or around the same page. I think I've only had one programme where the status wasn't listed, and I suspect that was probably an accident. Where there are more than one listed, e.g. International, National A and National B, the custom is to list the highest (International).
The only ones I can't locate are both 750 Motor Club meetings-both programmes give the MSA permit number but not the grade. But, as Chris said, it's not that important (plus I've done plenty of International meetings, which is probably all the MSA are interested in) so I've just guessed at Nat b.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2775019)   #48
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
This has rather amused me. For the first time in 6 years of Marshalling BARC have sent me forms for the British GP. They obviously don't know me very well!
I suspect you over estimate your own importance! I imagine they just send them out either to their members or to their database. I doubt that anyone goes through a list line by line and thinks about whether that person might want to apply

Given that people moan that they "weren't invited to apply" fairly regularly I suspect clubs just send out forms to everyone.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2775026)   #49
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I suspect you over estimate your own importance! I imagine they just send them out either to their members or to their database. I doubt that anyone goes through a list line by line and thinks about whether that person might want to apply
That was a joke, you know?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2775100)   #50
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
That was a joke, you know?

They probably sent the last 5 applications to Ben Collins! Now they know different.