Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Apr 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2867366)   #26
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Must say I like to strong looking chassis of the Continuation cars. There is one for sale on Piston Heads, orange iirc.
The orange one on PH is reported as sold.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2868342)   #27
cliveagyoung
Rookie

United Kingdom
Heast Janglia
cliveagyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The orange one on PH is reported as sold.
Yes and perhaps it is not quite as good as it looks....nothing that a few midnight sessions and a few cheques cant cure.....

"Domestic chores" keep interrupting preparation but as STMBO encouraged the purchase I should not complain.

It is a beautifully made and designed car....I really do like working on it and seeing the attention to detail that has been put into it.
My trouble is I am a bit of a perfectionist so have to get everything "just Right"

Cant wait to get out on track..
Old 23 Apr 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2868625)   #28
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We (I) needs some pics!
Graham.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2868640)   #29
Roger D
Rookie

Roger D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge View Post

We have 9 declared runners for Silverstone 7/8 May, which includes one new joiner.
Eamonn - is that 9 Crossles - If so thats got to be one of the best grids of Crossles we've had so far. Should make for an interesting race with there being a similar number of Chevrons.

As for drivers experiences there a many ups to driving these cars - they are just so responsive yet neutral, relative novices like me- me can really enjoy them. The only downs have been self inflicted when failing off the black bit.

For pics see http://www.crossleownersgroup.com/?page_id=25
Old 23 Apr 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2868665)   #30
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone of the 9S meetings clash with a hillclimb!
Pics look just great, esp # 55 in a pale green.
Are these cars REALLY almost spanner-free season long barr usual spanner checks/fluid changes??

Just finished my Lola for the season start, been spannering it for ever to get here.
Must stop dropping-in onto this thread now and focus...

Graham
Old 23 Apr 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2868701)   #31
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger

Yes, that is correct, 9 Crossle 9S in attendance out of the 15 mainland based cars - two of which are in hillclimb/sprint and trackday disciplines.

The boys have really embraced the new Challenge series, which with hard work, owner support and good promotion will prosper and grow.

The 9S is the best kept secret in UK club racing. Great value for money, easy maintenance with excellent factory support, low running cost and a super owners group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger D View Post
Eamonn - is that 9 Crossles - If so thats got to be one of the best grids of Crossles we've had so far. Should make for an interesting race with there being a similar number of Chevrons.

As for drivers experiences there a many ups to driving these cars - they are just so responsive yet neutral, relative novices like me- me can really enjoy them. The only downs have been self inflicted when failing off the black bit.

For pics see http://www.crossleownersgroup.com/?page_id=25
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2869550)   #32
Roger D
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Are these cars REALLY almost spanner-free season long barr usual spanner checks/fluid changes??
Yup - apart from ratio changes
Old 29 Apr 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2871873)   #33
andyto
Rookie

andyto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those that want to know more...
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lc0d4o.jpg
Old 29 Apr 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2871875)   #34
andyto
Rookie

andyto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger D View Post
Yup - apart from ratio changes
Roger what's a 'ratio change'? I don't think my car has one of those!!
Old 30 Apr 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2872126)   #35
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
To kick start the season, Roger Donnan, Gwyn Pollard and myself entered the 360 Racing Club's Wedding Breakfast Sprint on the new Snetterton 300 circuit.

In attendance: Peter Cook, former 9S campaigner Peter Wright, new joiner Clive Young and Jezz Clark, lending support and assistance.

Gwyn put his car on pole and the final result was: P1 Gwyn, P2 Roger ahead of the Chevron B6 of Nick Thompson (P3) and the Elva MK7S of Sean Mc Clurg (P5). Fastest lap to Gwyn. I was well down the order, first time out in almost 2 years, so must put some mustard on it!

A superb result for the Crossle boys who were delighted to support the great efforts of Claire and John Smith and their team at 360.

We made some great new contacts, saw old friends and look forward to another outing with 360. Full race report by Pedro will be on the Crossle Owners Group website shortly.

Next weekend, we are at Silverstone for the first double header round of the 9S Challenge.
Old 1 May 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2872316)   #36
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Eamonn - have you decided about going to Solitude yet ?
Old 1 May 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2872327)   #37
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Hi Ralf

Its too good to miss.

I will discuss with Arnie next weekend and hopefully we will have a decision then.

Regards

Eamonn
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
Hi Eamonn - have you decided about going to Solitude yet ?
Old 1 May 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2872367)   #38
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eamonn,
would be nice to see you there - we will be at Solitude with two cars.

Cheers,
Ralf
Old 1 May 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2872455)   #39
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
To kick start the season, Roger Donnan, Gwyn Pollard and myself entered the 360 Racing Club's Wedding Breakfast Sprint on the new Snetterton 300 circuit.

In attendance: Peter Cook, former 9S campaigner Peter Wright, new joiner Clive Young and Jezz Clark, lending support and assistance.

Gwyn put his car on pole and the final result was: P1 Gwyn, P2 Roger ahead of the Chevron B6 of Nick Thompson (P3) and the Elva MK7S of Sean Mc Clurg (P5). Fastest lap to Gwyn. I was well down the order, first time out in almost 2 years, so must put some mustard on it!

A superb result for the Crossle boys who were delighted to support the great efforts of Claire and John Smith and their team at 360.

We made some great new contacts, saw old friends and look forward to another outing with 360. Full race report by Pedro will be on the Crossle Owners Group website shortly.

Next weekend, we are at Silverstone for the first double header round of the 9S Challenge.
We'll have that outing...like I said yesterday...its got legs....superb stuff and thanks again for your support
Old 2 May 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2873019)   #40
911thillclimber
Veteran

Having had the Lola's suspension collapse this weekend (old repair to an old rear upright I find myself with next weekend spare...and Silverstone not far away!

I know Nick Thompson and Sean (Sean set my car up) and they will not be too impressed being beaten!

Hope to come along and have a nose.
Old 2 May 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2873045)   #41
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Here's a short video of the back of your car Eamonn
Old 11 May 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2878536)   #42
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Silverstone National Circuit, 7/8 May 2011

First round of the Challenge series, we fielded 9 cars against 5 Chevron GR8.

Qualifying was in the wet, with heavy overnight rain which thankfully cleared to a bright sunny day for our 2 x 40 mins races.

Very exciting racing, the faster 9S drivers snapping at the heels of the more rapid ground effect and slicks shod Chevrons.

Crossle race 1: P1 Arnie Black in Crossle works car, P2 Mark Hobbs, P3 Roger Donnan.

On the road these three were headed by two GR8s, with Arnie 1.426 seconds down on their fastest man.

Crossle race 2: P1 Arnie Black, P2 Mark Hobbs, P3 Andy Todd.

On the road they were headed by three GR8s, with Arnie 1.041 seconds adrift from the fastest GR8.

Pics from Derek to follow shortly, full race report on: Crossleownersgroup.com

Next outing: Oulton Park 28 May

Last edited by eamonn ledwidge; 11 May 2011 at 06:22. Reason: typo
Old 11 May 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2878984)   #43
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I take it that if the Crossles went to slicks that it would make the two types of cars very close ?
Old 11 May 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2878988)   #44
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Do I take it that if the Crossles went to slicks that it would make the two types of cars very close ?
I wouldn't know definitively, but I would think 1.04 secs would be pretty close to the difference between road tyres and slicks.
Old 12 May 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2879080)   #45
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes a 9S a very competitive proposition compared to the price of a Chevron!!!!!!
Old 12 May 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2879148)   #46
Roger D
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Makes a 9S a very competitive proposition compared to the price of a Chevron!!!!!!
Don't tell everone they'll all be wanting one.
Old 12 May 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2879204)   #47
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
On Silverstone National Circuit they would be on par if the faster 9S drivers were shod with slicks. Oulton Park and other circuits will be a different experience.

However, the declared dry tyres for the Challenge are ACB10 and CR500. I would not wish to encourage a dash to slicks with the additional costs involved. For sure, by mid season the front runners will be thinking, 'give us slicks - let us at them'. Its far too early to even consider that, we must stay within the spirit of what this car is about and make a success of the Challenge this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Old 12 May 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2879295)   #48
Roger D
Rookie

Also remember that this was the Chevrons first race using slicks so very much a test /setup session. I'm sure they will be much quicker once they get used to the new levels of grip.

With regard the Crossles a switch to slicks would put grater demands on the suspension/brakes/drivetrain in addition to the extra costs involved, I believe the Swiss contingent run on slicks and this has led to problems with driveshafts and other mechanical issues. So is not a step to be considered lightly.
Old 12 May 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2879548)   #49
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I guess I will keep my comments about supercharging to myself...ho ho
I always fancied running the Crossle on slicks but never got round to it. I remember racing at Spa with Andy when a couple of the front runners ran on slicks and they were incredibly quick.
Hopefully I will get to have a beer with old friends at Spa as we will be out with the Marcos in the swinging sixties.
Old 16 May 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2880902)   #50
nikon man
Rookie

nikon man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some pics from the 1st meeting at silverstone.

enjoy

djb

dj.bin3@ntlworld.com