Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Aug 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3444405)   #26
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well damn.......I had some how forgotten about this race(WTH is wrong with me!?!?)
Also some how didn't notice it was on the same day and time as Indy at sonoma,oh well plans already made and already have tickets.hopfully PWC puts on a good race and Indy should be fun,looks like the dvrs will be put to good use........
Old 15 Aug 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3444473)   #27
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I'm pondering a last-minute trip / sleep in the car kind of adventure if things line up right. Mainly because i really want to see CTSCC and the support races on Saturday, and I haven't made it to an event yet this year so would like to check out the paddock as much as possible. Beautiful track, one of my favorites.
Yeah, I agree....to me it's like 'Road America East'.....it's just such a delightful place to spend a weekend. Next Friday can't come soon enough....the long range forecast shows a warming trend with scattered T-storms possibly popping up....
Old 15 Aug 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3444478)   #28
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I wouldn't have had second thought about going until I read this. Something about "last minute" inspired me to take Friday off and head up! Sleep in the car adventures are great - that's how I did Sebring last year. Really wish I could stay in Hotel Subaru again, but with the wife coming and it doubling as an anniversary trip...I'm surprised local hotels are sold out. Nearest availibility is 30 miles away.
Yeah there's not much around VIR that isn't 30 miles away, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
Yeah, I agree....to me it's like 'Road America East'.....it's just such a delightful place to spend a weekend. Next Friday can't come soon enough....the long range forecast shows a warming trend with scattered T-storms possibly popping up....
Yeah I think VIR invites this sort of thing. It's a huge track, plenty of places to park / camp / sleep and the vibe there is great. Yeah it's been repaved, and year the Oak tree is gone, but something about this track feels like you've gone back in time when you're there. I've gone for some vintage events, done some HPDE there and this will be my first actual pro-race as far as attendance. Really looking forward to watching the GT cars go up through those esses!
Old 15 Aug 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3444485)   #29
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Quote:
Yeah there's not much around VIR that isn't 30 miles away, hehe.
Yeah I think VIR invites this sort of thing. It's a huge track, plenty of places to park / camp / sleep and the vibe there is great. Yeah it's been repaved, and year the Oak tree is gone, but something about this track feels like you've gone back in time when you're there. I've gone for some vintage events, done some HPDE there and this will be my first actual pro-race as far as attendance. Really looking forward to watching the GT cars go up through those esses!
Speaking of the dearly departed Oak Tree......did Connie replace it with a new one ? Perhaps a semi-mature tree ? This will be my first visit since we lost the tree.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 15:47 (Ref:3444494)   #30
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Speaking of the dearly departed Oak Tree......did Connie replace it with a new one ? Perhaps a semi-mature tree ? This will be my first visit since we lost the tree.
Unfortunately no, they cleared everything out. The corner station was moved over to the left side of the track, before entering oak tree, so it's a lot more open but it obviously has less character.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3444495)   #31
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That is indeed pricey considering the advanced order for a PLM 4 day "super ticket" is 80 bucks.
As you pointed out to me yesterday, the biggest problem is the race ends at 6:45pm on a Sunday evening at a track that is in the middle of nowhere. I suppose this was done for TV, but I expect there will be a slight crowd.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3444499)   #32
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Quote:
Unfortunately no, they cleared everything out. The corner station was moved over to the left side of the track, before entering oak tree, so it's a lot more open but it obviously has less character.
Oh really ?, thanks. Let's hope something is placed there.....perhaps something that could be dedicated to military veterans.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3444502)   #33
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
As you pointed out to me yesterday, the biggest problem is the race ends at 6:45pm on a Sunday evening at a track that is in the middle of nowhere. I suppose this was done for TV, but I expect there will be a slight crowd.
I resolved that time issue by electing to take Monday off to fly home then...but of course not all can.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3444510)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
I resolved that time issue by electing to take Monday off to fly home then...but of course not all can.
I'd gladly fork over the 80 bucks, but the time is the deal breaker for me and you're right, not everyone can get that Monday off. Lots going on for the Friday schedule which I definitely cannot make and Sunday seems to be a relative ghost town in comparison.

Should be a damn good show on TV between the ads.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3444513)   #35
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
I didn't even think about that...looks like a late drive / tired Monday morning for me. At least traffic should be light?
Old 15 Aug 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3444533)   #36
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My understanding from talking to senior track staff, is that they do not plan on putting a tree back at or near the original location. The turn will still be known as "Oak tree" minus a tree, just like "Hog Pen" still exists, but minus the original hog pen which is long gone.

I do wonder if at some point they will plant a new oak somewhere on the track as a commemorative substitute for he original given the almost "mascot" nature the tree represented?

Richard
Old 15 Aug 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3444554)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'd gladly fork over the 80 bucks, but the time is the deal breaker for me and you're right, not everyone can get that Monday off. Lots going on for the Friday schedule which I definitely cannot make and Sunday seems to be a relative ghost town in comparison.

Should be a damn good show on TV between the ads.
You put me in a "glass cage of emotion" yesterday.

Old 15 Aug 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3444555)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You put me in a "glass cage of emotion" yesterday.

Sorry! I ride that roller coaster every day!
Old 15 Aug 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3444556)   #39
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My understanding from talking to senior track staff, is that they do not plan on putting a tree back at or near the original location. The turn will still be known as "Oak tree" minus a tree, just like "Hog Pen" still exists, but minus the original hog pen which is long gone.

I do wonder if at some point they will plant a new oak somewhere on the track as a commemorative substitute for he original given the almost "mascot" nature the tree represented?

Richard
They'll probably plant some sort of "son of the tree" somewhere with a sapling from the old tree or something, but agreed; the Oak Tree at Oak Tree corner is very sadly gone. Don't mask it with a second coming of the Oak.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3444569)   #40
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
The P class pretty much ruined a great GT race at Road America.
How so? This just seems like more grasping at straws.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3444583)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Because of the cautions, the P class didn't even get around to lapping much, if any really, of the GTLM class at Road America, anyway. So, it would have been impossible for them to interfere with the main fight there at that race.

If the comment was about them taking away TV time, that's nothing new. Also, that would be an issue with the TV/broadcast director, which is a COMPLETELY different matter than the class structure.

As to the round at hand, I'll be alright with the GT race, for now, but VIR should have a fully-fledged round here in the not-too-distant future. The track is large enough and fast enough to handle the full field. The owners have also made major and expensive upgrades to accommodate all the classes even better than had previously been the case.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3444609)   #42
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
What's that say about trees? "If you need their shade today, plant them 10 years ago."

That tree had been there many years and is iconic. Tough to replace, but you better start soon if you are planning to do so.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3444670)   #43
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Quote:
The P class pretty much ruined a great GT race at Road America.
How so? This just seems like more grasping at straws.
I'll rephrase that.
The P class injustice really dampered my enjoyment of a fantastic GTALMS and GTD race.

VIR should be AWESOME!!!!
Old 16 Aug 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3444731)   #44
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Just bought tickets. Any pro tips as far as "how to do" VIR?

Also, rather than risk a shady hotel in Martinsville, I'll be staying in Durham, and spending time there on Friday for anniversary purposes. Any pro tips as far as "how to do" Durham?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3444790)   #45
nezy37
Rookie

United States
wisconsin
nezy37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this one. VIR is one of my favorite tracks in the world. What a fantastic layout.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3444821)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Indeed. I often think of VIR as Road Atlanta's bigger, older brother, if you will. There are a number of resemblances in the corners featured and the sequencing of the two laps.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3444874)   #47
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Just bought tickets. Any pro tips as far as "how to do" VIR?

Also, rather than risk a shady hotel in Martinsville, I'll be staying in Durham, and spending time there on Friday for anniversary purposes. Any pro tips as far as "how to do" Durham?
Unfortunately I can't offer anything on Durham, but as far as VIR goes:

http://virnow.com/files/2014/07/VIRtrackMap414.jpg

1. Oak tree isn't accessible from the inside of the track, from which is where most of the rest of the track is accessible. It's worth it if only to watch the cars go up the back stretch and silhouette up over the hill, which is an incredible view and sound, especially at dusk. It evokes emotion. (for me anyway, but I'm pretty nostalgic) I've never been to a pro race there so not sure how they handle getting people over from the infields over to oak tree, maybe a shuttle bus? It's a hike otherwise.

2. The best overall area, IMO, is from the hillside overlooking 'the snake', just after the left hook, and up into the climbing esses. (and just over the bridge) The esses are amazing. More than oaktree, they are VIR to me when I think of the track.

3. The rollercoaster and hog pen are great too, all downhill after the backstretch, going into the rollercoaster should see some of the best passing, along with turn one, which isn't really accessible.

Overall it's just a beautiful place. It's not as spectator-friendly as say, Sebring is, but it's iconic and still a great place.

Also the Pizza place in Milton, Aunt Millies, is amazing. Really solid.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3445074)   #48
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say make it a partial night race. I'd bet that track gets REALLY dark. That would be cool.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3445080)   #49
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Second that.

And more generally, what's happened to the sprint(/ish) twilight-to-darkness races - or even just night races? I bet those kind of events would promote Gran Turismo generation in. Adria 2 Hours with FIA GT for example was fabulous, even if the track had floodlights. Sexy vibe & saturdays.

Last edited by Deleted; 18 Aug 2014 at 17:46.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3445091)   #50
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Maybe they don't want to hurt weekend turnout. After all, with the restrictions at a number of tracks, you'd have to do those twilight races on a Saturday. Unless you have a holiday weekend to work with, you're going from two weekend days to get a good number of people at the track down to just one day.

Twilight is more my thing, as opposed to night darkness, because, beyond a point, you lose the track's surroundings, as well as much of the ability to identify specific cars, other whether its a Prototype or GT based on the headlight cover color.