Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Sep 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3451963)   #26
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HPD adjustments make no sense, more weight but bigger air restrictor (to bring it up to Oak level??) and more fuel.

Pretty sure that bopped +1,6mm = 29,5mm restrictor size is the biggest Corvette has ever had in GT2/GTE. Less weight on top of that - plus Ferrari begged pack - so surely they'll be winning 'miraculously' again
Old 10 Sep 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3451968)   #27
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The increase weight will make the P2 tires heat up more faster.

Those poor Mazda still haven't got a BoP break. That's so unfair.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3451973)   #28
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That 90 lb addition doesn't make much sense, but it's The New IMSA after all.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3451976)   #29
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
51 cars isn't too bad a turnout! I'll be there from Wednesday night to Sunday morning, so it's the full medley of races for me. I'm looking forward to meeting a few Tenthers down there!
Old 10 Sep 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3451997)   #30
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post

Those poor Mazda still haven't got a BoP break. That's so unfair.
I agree with you on the tires. All season it has been about the tires not getting hot fast enough and this will help. I don't know if the restrictor break will be enough to compensate but we shall see.

I don't think Mazda is making full use of the breaks they already have so it doesn't really matter what the rules say on paper. They could give them a 500KG min. with as much boost as they could make but I think they would still run what they've been running.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3452001)   #31
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I think that IMSA is at the phase where they're like, "Screw it! Let's experiment with the P2s!
Old 10 Sep 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3452002)   #32
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I don't think Mazda is making full use of the breaks they already have so it doesn't really matter what the rules say on paper. They could give them a 500KG min. with as much boost as they could make but I think they would still run what they've been running.
People will say that Audi have made diesel engines work in racing for the better part of a decade.

However, Audi spend and invest more money into their race program than Mazda, Audi race in LMP1 vs LMP2, and rules are more lienent in LMP1 than LMP2, and Audi have a full-bore bespoke racing engine in all their diesel LMP1 cars, while Mazda has a stock block engine which almost 75% of the parts are shared with the road car diesel engine.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3452003)   #33
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Yes a tiny inline 4 banger stock block engine grafted onto a Lola chassis.

I just want them to be sped up a little bit just to be out of the other classes hair.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 23:41 (Ref:3452007)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That's not gonna happen as long as the stock parts can't handle the power boost. Granted, they haven't had very many engine issues aside from fluid leaks (mostly they've had electronic issues with the gearshift mechanism), but that engine is for sure gravely down on power.

There were already worries about the HPD stock block turbo 6s maybe not being able to handle much in the way of air-restrictor increases. What really screws Mazda/Speedsource there is that the Mazda engine is an inline 4 instead of a V engine, and it's a diesel where the cylinder stresses are as high as anything that Audi or Peugeot have ever seen with their diesel engines.

Shades of the old AER P07 inline 4 from the old Lola MG LMP675 cars--you have to run a lot of boost to get that power, and that'll cause an engine to destroy itself if you're not careful.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3452018)   #35
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Strange indeed. Sure it might speed the tire heating a bit but at the expense of braking and cornering which was their only advantage. Also, I wonder what the effect will be on reliability on both the engine and suspension parts.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3452020)   #36
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BOP changes for COTA!

HPD/Ligier HPD P2

40kg more weight 900kg to 940kg.
More horsepower with a larger air restrictor.
Larger fuel tank.

DP smaller fuel tank.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3452022)   #37
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I have heard, the Mazdas have a huge issue with cooling--the engine is working so hard in so tight a space, and trying to make more power than it did in the Mazda6 ... and until they get the motor to work, they can't even begin working on the chassis.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3452031)   #38
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Another deal is that Audi and Peugeot designed their cars around and with the use of a diesel engine in mind.

The Mazda chassis, in spite of it's branding, is just basically an off the shelf Lola customer car design, designed around using 4 cylinder gasoline engines or V8 NA stock block engines.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:19 (Ref:3452040)   #39
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez why even bother watching now,they even managed to hack up GTLM.
They did really good at letting corvette get a points lead,rolling them back so other cars win and the points battle becomes tight.all just to let the corvettes at it again to win the championship,it's awesome we all called it when Imsa changed it to four bops a year.what a joke,I wish I could say Gtd was better but even that's a bop'd mess.

I wish I could say the P2 change is good but I doubt it,it's a little to late to remove fuel capacity from dp's .thats something that should have been changed races ago, I think at this point esm already has their mind made up and oak isn't to far behind.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3452044)   #40
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If I were Porsche, that third 991 would be Montoya-ing the Corvettes at every chance.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:44 (Ref:3452047)   #41
Rcz
Veteran

United States
They'll probably will...
Old 11 Sep 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3452116)   #42
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Jeez why even bother watching now,they even managed to hack up GTLM.
They did really good at letting corvette get a points lead,rolling them back so other cars win and the points battle becomes tight.all just to let the corvettes at it again to win the championship,it's awesome we all called it when Imsa changed it to four bops a year.what a joke,I wish I could say Gtd was better but even that's a bop'd mess.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3452130)   #43
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I wish I could say the P2 change is good but I doubt it,it's a little to late to remove fuel capacity from dp's .thats something that should have been changed races ago, I think at this point esm already has their mind made up and oak isn't to far behind.
I don't think the fuel will make much difference. Before the DP's could go further on a tank and were faster. Now they might be going the same distance as the P2's, or maybe still longer since the P2's have more power and weight and will be using more fuel.

Have Oak or ESM (or their drivers) sounded off on these changes yet? I'd be interested to hear their take on things.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3452141)   #44
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3452142)   #45
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Is that Pruett (in his younger years) on the right?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3452156)   #46
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Is that Pruett (in his younger years) on the right?
Yes he's being taught how to say Hi to family at home.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3452159)   #47
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Old 11 Sep 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3452169)   #48
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3452234)   #49
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Increased weight will not help the P2 cars. If adding weight could make the car faster, then I'm sure the teams would have added weight a Loooong time ago, unless there is a "maximum weight" limit.

The restrictor increase is relatively small, so I think that this adjustment is really going to hurt P2 teams.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3452235)   #50
Deleted
Veteran

The fuel tank tweaking should have more direct effect than the weight and restrictor changes.

I'd like to know the baseline values of ACO-spec Oak coupes to see how much bopped those IMSA values are on that car. But as we've discussed recently ACO hasn't updated those sheets to us for ages