Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3575401)   #26
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According Dutch journalist:
Franz Tost said they thought Sainz would be quicker than Verstappen because the latter was on older tires. He admitted Verstappen made right decision to not let Sainz by.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3575453)   #27
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fingerman got a well deserved victory today. Apparently, the Ferrari's engine now has the same power output as the Mercedes - it's just not got the aero of the Mercs - yet. If that's the case - it could make the next few races interesting. Could Ferrari be challenging at Suzuka? We'll have to wait and see. I know Vettel has hinted at going for the WDC - but, the Mercs seem very strong - except for Singapore track.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:14 (Ref:3575487)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Bernie Bernie Bernie!!!

It's so obvious it's laughable!
Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3575505)   #29
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
They really really need to look at the safety car procedures

* They took far longer than necessary - especially the second one
* Why send out a safety car if you fix things with a local yellow or a full course yellow?
* letting Verstappen get his lap back after he started a lap behind the field was ridiculous
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3575519)   #30
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stuff up with letting the Manors get up through the field but then decide they were taking too long pulling the car in was bazaar. I think it is time to get rid of that rule and instead drop the lap cars to the back of the group, hard luck if you are a fast car but a lap down, as Max was today.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3575524)   #31
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
I also am at a loss to understand why they apply the virtual safety car (which avoids depriving a leading driver of the lead he has built) and then bring out the safety car anyway. I can't help feeling there is someone in a position of power who likes safety cars, and wants to undermine the VSC.

Then we get another safety car for a plonker who has managed to walk onto the track. He's off the track again before the safety car even gets going and then we have to wait several laps (not sure how many due to watching BBC highlights programme) while they shuffle the cars around. They fail to shuffle them into the "correct" order but re-start the race anyway.

The virtual safety car (there has to be a better name) was a sensible concept which should avoid all the unfairness and lottery of the safety car. As usual with the FIA though, the application falls well short of the concept. It should slow car down sufficiently that marshals can work on the track. How about going round on the pitlane speed limiter? If that's too fast, it wouldn't be difficult to build a second lower speed limit into the software. As a further refinement, perhaps the speed limiter could be applied just to the part of the track where it's needed, leaving cars to race on the rest of the lap. Thereby giving as many of the paying customers the thing they have paid for: cars racing.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3575529)   #32
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Toro Rosso opened up the team orders can-of-worms again. On the whole, I'm glad Verstappen held on because it stuck two fingers up to the odious practice (though I have to admit I would be somewhat displeased if an employee of mine publicly flouted an instruction like that).

I thought the interview with Eddie Jordan was amusing. EJ comes in with a pretty agressive line of questioning about the team orders. Verstappen stands there like a naughty boy facing the headmaster, and for a moment I thought he was going to burst into tears. His well-reasoned defence of his position came as something of a disappointment.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3575539)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I also am at a loss to understand why they apply the virtual safety car (which avoids depriving a leading driver of the lead he has built) and then bring out the safety car anyway. I can't help feeling there is someone in a position of power who likes safety cars, and wants to undermine the VSC.

Then we get another safety car for a plonker who has managed to walk onto the track. He's off the track again before the safety car even gets going and then we have to wait several laps (not sure how many due to watching BBC highlights programme) while they shuffle the cars around. They fail to shuffle them into the "correct" order but re-start the race anyway.

The virtual safety car (there has to be a better name) was a sensible concept which should avoid all the unfairness and lottery of the safety car. As usual with the FIA though, the application falls well short of the concept. It should slow car down sufficiently that marshals can work on the track. How about going round on the pitlane speed limiter? If that's too fast, it wouldn't be difficult to build a second lower speed limit into the software. As a further refinement, perhaps the speed limiter could be applied just to the part of the track where it's needed, leaving cars to race on the rest of the lap. Thereby giving as many of the paying customers the thing they have paid for: cars racing.
I watched the race live and the SC was out for a long time. I went off to do something, came back and the SC was still out. Initially I thought it another caution period but it was the same one.

I don't know what it is about F1, whether it's the SC, restarts or the plethora of tyre compounds but they manage to really over complicate everything.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 23:00 (Ref:3575546)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What about Hulkenberg being given a grid penalty without even interviewing him first? Odd
Old 21 Sep 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3575568)   #35
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the supposed pinnacle of motor sport Formula 1's implementation of the Safety Car is a joke. For both incidents on the weekend the Safety Car should have been out for a Maximum of about 3 laps each. Hulkenburg's car was within 10 - 20 meters of a recovery vehicle. Once the field was under control pick up the car job done. For the idiot spectator. The vision showed him leaving the circuit, Once he was under arrest the cars should have been release. This letting the car a lap down get a lap back is a time consuming joke. These are the best drivers in the world. I'm sure they can overtake a back marker.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 05:40 (Ref:3575608)   #36
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
This letting the car a lap down get a lap back is a time consuming joke. These are the best drivers in the world. I'm sure they can overtake a back marker.
Agreed. Leave the effect of the SC (closing up gaps etc) as a lottery, or implement a virtual SC. The 100km/h pit lane limiter might not be appropriate for some corners where race speed isn't much faster, but I'm sure they can work something out.

When Vettel said "tell them to make the SC go faster", did it have any effect?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3575656)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
The stuff up with letting the Manors get up through the field but then decide they were taking too long pulling the car in was bazaar. I think it is time to get rid of that rule and instead drop the lap cars to the back of the group, hard luck if you are a fast car but a lap down, as Max was today.
What I've been saying for a long time, it's hardly earned gaining the lap back like that

Initially I was thinking Lewis couldn't have picked a better race to have his first DNF with Rosberg only fourth, but seeing the gap to Vettel probably not now.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3575761)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so have heard the guy was drunk and looking to take a picture...any official story of what his deal was?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:00 (Ref:3575787)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe it was Nelson Piquet trying to help someone again!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3575791)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe it was Nelson Piquet trying to help someone again!

nice one!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3575801)   #41
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What about Hulkenberg being given a grid penalty without even interviewing him first? Odd
IMO it was a racing indicent. No need to punish someone.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3575830)   #42
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Toro Rosso opened up the team orders can-of-worms again. On the whole, I'm glad Verstappen held on because it stuck two fingers up to the odious practice (though I have to admit I would be somewhat displeased if an employee of mine publicly flouted an instruction like that).
Not sure, I think the reasoning from the team was that
* Verstappen had had a few laps to try and pass Perez but couldn't get it done.
* Sainz has newer tires (Verstappen had a used set, Sainz a new)
* let's try and see if Sainz can get by
* if not, we expect him to give the position back to Verstappen

I think it was more about maximizing the team's result rather than handing an advantage to one of their drivers
After all, if your ambition is to finish 5th in the constructors championship, then it's important to take points from the current 5th placed team (= Force India)

Red Bull has also done it (at least twice) before and ordered the driver that was let by to give the position back later on if they couldn't pass either.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3575880)   #43
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

I think it was more about maximizing the team's result rather than handing an advantage to one of their drivers
After all, if your ambition is to finish 5th in the constructors championship, then it's important to take points from the current 5th placed team (= Force India)

Red Bull has also done it (at least twice) before and ordered the driver that was let by to give the position back later on if they couldn't pass either.
It's all a bit contrived though, isn't it? Such things are a hanging offence in most other top-line sports.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3575895)   #44
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's all a bit contrived though, isn't it? Such things are a hanging offence in most other top-line sports.
In what top line sport do you get "let the other bloke win"?

I thought that was called match fixing!
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:20 (Ref:3575907)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
arguably this is a common phenomenon in every form of team racing.

on a seperate point, as Ferrari focus their efforts behind one driver, a team oriented strategy is the only hope we have to see a championship go down to the wire.

im totally ok with team orders.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:37 (Ref:3575913)   #46
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
In what top line sport do you get "let the other bloke win"?

I thought that was called match fixing!
THEY ARE A TEAM.

All great sports teams play as a team. All poor ones don't.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 08:09 (Ref:3575955)   #47
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tost explains the teamorder situation:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120918
Old 22 Sep 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3575957)   #48
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

Sainz was never close enough to Max to even try to overtake and was not fast enough on his newer tires.

and as we all could see very clearly Max had less difficulty getting past other cars than Sainz(as Sainz had to force both Lotus drivers off track to pass them and was lucky not to get a penalty for that)
Old 22 Sep 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3576042)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Sainz was never close enough to Max to even try to overtake and was not fast enough on his newer tires.

and as we all could see very clearly Max had less difficulty getting past other cars than Sainz(as Sainz had to force both Lotus drivers off track to pass them and was lucky not to get a penalty for that)
That's not really what happened though is it. Max passed a car and pulled a gap when Carlos was stuck, then when Carlos passed, he caught up again. It was just a typical see-saw or yo-yo effect.

Sainz did seem to be a bit quicker in clean air even if it was only due to having newer rubber.

No doubt you'll supply endless reams of data about fastest laps and overtaking ability to counter that though.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3576044)   #50
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's not really what happened though is it. Max passed a car and pulled a gap when Carlos was stuck, then when Carlos passed, he caught up again. It was just a typical see-saw or yo-yo effect.

Sainz did seem to be a bit quicker in clean air even if it was only due to having newer rubber.

No doubt you'll supply endless reams of data about fastest laps and overtaking ability to counter that though.
I don't have to, the simple fact is that Carlos was 1.4 seconds behind Max at the finish(and Max was 6 tenths behind Perez)

if Sainz can not get within 1 second of Max, how could he have ever overtaken Perez?