Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2002, 01:31 (Ref:249503)   #26
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gah... This is sounding like the Prost-Senna arguments I used to hear... The precise, cool tactician vs. the instinctive, sometimes kamikazi-esque racer. I tend to favor the latter camp myself, but really, they're both valid schools of driving. Ralph can lap damn fast, but is careful, sometimes to a fault, in traffic. JPM gets himself in trouble, but seems almost telepathically connected to his car, something you can't teach. If you've got the skill and the ride, you can win a championship either way. MS gets a long way by focusing a team's resources on himself, getting favors from the FIA, and some dirty moves, but after the first lap, he really does have a good grasp of both approaches to racing, and right now it gives him an advantage. I think if the FIA stops interfering, and JPM learns to see thru the red haze, we'll have a real fight. But Ralph can get a long way just by being consistently fast, and benefiting from the mistakes and breakdowns of others, as we've seen the last two races.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Apr 2002 at 01:33.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 02:24 (Ref:249516)   #27
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, Lee, Tristan;
Dead on!
I have beat up on Ralf and don't think much of him, but the Schumcher brothers were an example in the trade off of aero-downforce..Ralf had more wing and could just almost catch up to Mike in the twisty parts, but on the straight big brother with a lot less (a whole element less) wing would pull clear..
Ralf was never right under big brothers gearbox coming onto the straight and he would have had to be .
Old 2 Apr 2002, 02:40 (Ref:249519)   #28
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Gah... This is sounding like the Prost-Senna arguments I used to hear... The precise, cool tactician vs. the instinctive, sometimes kamikazi-esque racer.
Yeah, except Ralf is no Prost, and Montoya is certainly no Senna!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 03:10 (Ref:249521)   #29
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

Yeah, except Ralf is no Prost, and Montoya is certainly no Senna!
Heh, point well taken!

Montoya still has room to improve, though. Drivers from this instictive camp can get faster as they mature. If they mature, these guys tend to have frighteningly short lifespans. Gilles Villeneuve, Bernd Rosemeyer, and Stefan Bellof, to name a few. Stefan's a classic example, died trying to overtake Ickx in a 956 going thru Eau Rouge. Could have been one of the greatest, just pushed it too hard.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Apr 2002 at 03:12.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 03:31 (Ref:249525)   #30
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Senna and Prost did not face a cheater that has total backing from FIA.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 03:41 (Ref:249527)   #31
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, there were many accusations towards Prost and Jean-Marie Balestre. With all the prestige, money, and accomplishment that comes with a World Championship, it's almost inevitable that even the slightest appearance of impropriety becomes major controversy.

I've said nasty things about Max Mosely being a closet tifosi, but really, when I sit down and look at it... I think it's more a case of the European officials taking care of their own, primarily at the expense of those from the Western hemisphere (they seem to have a very low opinion of us all).

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Apr 2002 at 03:43.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 04:39 (Ref:249538)   #32
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
And Senna and Prost did not face a cheater that has total backing from FIA.
good point. senna always had the FIA trying to break his ba***, whilst MS has them by the ba***
Old 2 Apr 2002, 06:26 (Ref:249594)   #33
Aussiefan

Suddenly people become experts on how drive F1 cars, I'm sure some would even say "Even I could have passed Michael"

Old 2 Apr 2002, 06:32 (Ref:249599)   #34
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think that Ralf was too slow in his first stint, espcially in the laps before he came in to refuel. I have highlighted this im my Ferrari Pit Stop Strategy thread.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 12:24 (Ref:249827)   #35
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seriously though, he is lacking that certain edge
Old 2 Apr 2002, 13:31 (Ref:249901)   #36
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Is that the same "edge" that fails to allow him to succesfully negotiate the first corner? Oops, I've started it again, haven't I ;-)
Old 2 Apr 2002, 13:45 (Ref:249917)   #37
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many laps did TGF stay behind JPM last year withought the slightest attempt to get past, huh?. I think that some of the Ralf bashing on this thread is simply sour grapes. Give the man a break.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 14:10 (Ref:249939)   #38
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Is that the same "edge" that fails to allow him to succesfully negotiate the first corner? Oops, I've started it again, haven't I ;-)
Have you forgot Australia? The only time Halfie tried an overtaking move and he launched himself off track. It might be a good thing for him not to try overtaking moves. Most of the ones he tried had ended up in the gravel. Would not you agree?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 14:21 (Ref:249945)   #39
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
BB, in my view, that accident was the slave's fault. Very clearly.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 14:33 (Ref:249952)   #40
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
BB, in my view, that accident was the slave's fault. Very clearly.
Your view? I guess i knew it. You can see no wrong in what you beloved does, can't you?....LOL
Old 2 Apr 2002, 14:47 (Ref:249959)   #41
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
LOL, my beloved Ralf? No, I like Ralf, but I'm still a TGF fan <ducks for cover>...