Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Apr 2002, 20:54 (Ref:273653)   #26
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PJ Jones will sub for Jaques Lazier for the rest of the season in the Menards car.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 21:02 (Ref:273658)   #27
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear SevenGrain and Doc,

1.) Is it possible that Mauricio Gugelmin's crash in Texas last year (Seven, I believe you are making reference to this one when you talk about the benefits of the use of the HANS device) happened because he blackened-out due to the G-forces? Just a theory of mine... Note that PacWest (now PWR) seems not to have found any clear indication of mechanical failure to explain the crash. This, plus the fact that several drivers were feeling sick/having headaches (and possibly short moments of loss of consciousness) practicing and qualifying for that race made me think about that. I also recall that CART was a just little too fast to explain the crash and to insist that it was not related to G-force issues. I found CART attitude strange. A cover-up, maybe?

SevenGrain, your insider view is much appreciated. Maybe Enzo could also provide some info.

2.) Doc, is it accurate that the cause of Savage's death was pneumonia? I think he acquired an infection as consequence of the amount of body tissue damaged/exposed by the burns.

I would like to know more about this. Not being a Doctor, I am amazed (would this be the accurate English word?) by these processes that may kill or worsen the physical condition of a driver - or a victim of any sort of accident - even after he/she is rescued with no apparent risk of death.

The deaths of Ronnie Peterson (victim of embolism) and of Mark Donohue (brain hemorrhage) - who were well waken up and talking after their crashes, just like Swede Savage - are other similar cases. Life is so fragile that it puzzles me.

I also lost a friend in comparable conditions. I was close to the Brazilian Stock Car driver Zeko Gregurincic, who very sadly perished in the hospital about 45 days after suffering a fiery shunt in Interlagos, in 1986.

Having seen Zeko slip to death when we believed he was on his way to recovery, no matter how bad his burns had been, was utterly shocking to me.

Thanks.

Muzza
Old 29 Apr 2002, 21:36 (Ref:273683)   #28
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Muzza

"Is it possible that Mauricio Gugelmin's crash in Texas last year (Seven, I believe you are making reference to this one when you talk about the benefits of the use of the HANS device) happened because he blackened-out due to the G-forces? Just a theory of mine..."

I saw the in-car camera and Gugelmin spun the car. If he had blacked out, he probably wouldn't have turned the car and hit front first instead. Having said that, I am completely convinced that he crashed because of the g-forces. One possible explaination is that the forces had induced vertigo, and he just lost track of where he was. I've had vertigo while doing scuba (something about cold water in the ears upsetting the equilibrium) and you just have no idea if you are up, down, sideways. You are utterly lost in space. If you get that in a race car you are going to crash. Now. Get it in an airplane and you are dead. The biggest danger with vertigo is that it is sudden. At least you feel it's effects suddenly. There is no time to stop the car or land the plane or get back on the boat. It just hits you.

Gugelmin said he didn't know what happened. And since it broke his HANS and knocked the snot out of him, I am inclined to believe he had no idea what went wrong. Or even who he was. It was a pretty nasty shot.

Since the lawsuits all got settled, no one involved talks about that weekend anymore, so we will probably never have real proof, but I am pretty sure we already know Gugilmin's wreck was from the g-forces affecting his driving. No doubt in my mind, anyway.

And hey, who the hell could have known? It was something like an episode of twighlight zone. For the first time in my life, I wondered if we had, indeed, found the limit. But that is a fascinating discussion that deserves it's own thread. I know Muzza will be there for that one, won't you?

"This, plus the fact that several drivers were feeling sick/having headaches (and possibly short moments of loss of consciousness) practicing and qualifying for that race made me think about that. I also recall that CART was a just little too fast to explain the crash and to insist that it was not related to G-force issues. I found CART attitude strange. A cover-up, maybe?"

well, no. CART ended up cancelling the race because of the g-force/blackout/vertigo issues, and I wholeheartedly commend them for it. There was no way, no way on God's green earth to have a safe race under those conditions. Everyone would be dead before they could get to half distance, so it wouldn't count anyway!

So remember the one important thing from any quote you read from the Texas weekend; millions and millions of dollars were at stake no matter how the weekend went. When it went bad, both sides looked sure to lose plenty of those millions. So with the lawsuits inevitably impending, you couldn't believe the first thing that any of them said. Especally Joe.

"2.) Doc, is it accurate that the cause of Savage's death was pneumonia? I think he acquired an infection as consequence of the amount of body tissue damaged/exposed by the burns."

Savage refused amputation. my understanding is that gangreen set in and that was it.

"Life is so fragile that it puzzles me."

We don't make it any better by going stupidly fast! But we don't make life better unless we live it out, so baby, let the good times roll.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 00:28 (Ref:273782)   #29
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Originally posted by Dr. Austin:

Quote:
I know Muzza will be there for that one, won't you?
I sure will!

Thanks for your reply. And I also agree that CART did the right thing by cancelling the Texas race (does any sane person disagree?)

Actually - and I know of more people that said the same at the time - this race should never have been scheduled. Many people (including myself) saw it happening as soon as the race was announced. I remember asking myself "why the hell is CART going to race in the Texas Motor Speedway?"

I raced in velodromes (olympics ciclying high banked track) when I was younger and I do believe that nothing with four wheels on should race in a steeply-banked track!
Old 30 Apr 2002, 01:33 (Ref:273812)   #30
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Muzza

"I raced in velodromes (olympics cycling high banked track) when I was younger.... [/B]
I just bought a Serotta titanium legend. I'm riding a CSI right now, but I rode the TI22 and fell in love with it. You are probably a Campy kind of guy, I but I have always had great luck with Durace. My CSI has around 25,000 miles on it and she has been a wonderful ride, but I needed something exciting to get my motivation back.

So this is a no holds barred full bloded racing bicycle. What else would I have?
Old 30 Apr 2002, 03:31 (Ref:273884)   #31
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Oh, no, now things are REALLY going to get interesting... So you ride too!

Congratulations for acquiring a Serotta Titanium - magnificient piece of art... I love them. Great, great frame, you'll be delighted. I bow to you, Doc! (and I should probably take my ass out of the road when you pass by, overtaking me like Schum... I mean, like Gilles).

I WAS a Campy guy years ago (some fifteen years ago) when all my (little) savings were being addressed to cycling... Today I have to settle for lesser goals. But, indeed, Dura-Ace sets are excellent nowadays, I don't know of anyone complaining about them.

What else would you have? You may start by getting a Litesteed Titanium mountain bike - they are wonderful! They latest frames are out of this world.

Currently I own:

- a Vitus 992 road (cheap but extremely versatile bike);
- a Schwinn carbo dual suspension m-bike (which I intend to sell, as I am not a full suspension biker - I suffered to many serious injuries to continue to do downhill)
- a Marin Pine m-bike (which I modified heavily - and so much that I messed up the front shock...);
- a Kuwahara 337 bmx (I am probably the only 33-year old guy that still rides a bmx...)
Old 30 Apr 2002, 04:02 (Ref:273901)   #32
Dr. Austin
Veteran

I'm not really a fast rider. I don't really do big rides, either. I usually ride about 20-30 miles a day, five, somethines six days a week. I used to train with some pretty intense riders, but I burned out on that. I push myself a little just because you have to if you want to get anything out of it, but I am no badass.

You raced downhill mountain bikes? Man, are you nuts?

I had to give up my mountain bike because I would get too brave on it and wreck. But i've never done anything that taxed all of me like that did!
Old 30 Apr 2002, 15:07 (Ref:274441)   #33
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
(You Young Guns, take a look at these two old grumpy men talking...)

Hello, Doc,

I almost had to give up cycling altogether. I pratically did. When I was young I was much stupidier and careless - and I had too many bad crashes.

I had so many fractures that I could not be X-rayed for years because of concerns with excessive exposure to radiation (now that's really hardcore - and nothing to be proud of... well, when I was 18 I thought differently).

The main problem now is that my pelvis is dislocated, so riding a bike becomes an unbearably painful thing after the first thirty miles.

This is quite sad, because cycling is one of my very preferred sports (just one example: my graduation project was the design of a composite monocoque mountain bike frame... It took thousands and thousands of hours!) and today I cannot enjoy it as before.

Regards,

Sal
Old 30 Apr 2002, 16:55 (Ref:274518)   #34
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Muzza

"I almost had to give up cycling altogether. I pratically did. When I was young I was much stupidier and careless - and I had too many bad crashes."

That's why I gave up karting.

"The main problem now is that my pelvis is dislocated, so riding a bike becomes an unbearably painful thing after the first thirty miles."

I really hate to hear that. Can you do 20 miles? I know it isn't the same thing as cycling all day, but at least it's something. If you can do 20 miles, that's an hour of pleasure you can otherwise have. Come to florida in july and ride with me in the 97 degree, 99% humidity and an hour will be enough, I promise.

Don't give up your cycling, just scale it back to where it doesn't hurt you. That's what we have to do when we are older anyway, so get used to it.

"This is quite sad, because cycling is one of my very preferred sports....... and today I cannot enjoy it as before."

Then find a new way to enjoy it. Try cycling less distance and see how many days you can ride before you have problems. It's possible a reduced schedule might be ok. Part of cycling is finding your limits and listening to what your body is telling you. It's already told you that 30 miles is too much, so try 20.

Also, is it possible that surgery can correct the problem? It might be a long and painful ordeal, but it would be worth it as much as you love cycling.

I also got your message about Bob akin. Everyone please pray for our friend Bob. And have a coke to remember him.
Old 2 May 2002, 14:41 (Ref:276455)   #35
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
(and now, another session of "Geriatric TV"...)

Hey, Doc,

Yes, that's what I am doing - riding not more than 20-30 miles. It is still fine, but it is as far as I can go before pain sets in.

My doctors considered a surgery to realign my pelvis, but it would be something very extensive and the results are rather unknown. What we have been doing is to carry out antropometric exams every six months to check the location and interaction of bones and joints, to be sure that I am not wearing out or overstressing any articulation or bone. This is the best way to avoid a long-term problem that could lead to hip replacement or another calamitous consequence.

As you suggested, I had a Coke for Bob. His death is so untimely - something like Jo Bonnier passing away in Le Mans 1972.

Muzza
Old 3 May 2002, 03:29 (Ref:277013)   #36
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's late response, I blame the TV because that was where I got the info (about HANS).

But I agree, they shouldn't have to be told to use them.

Last edited by Ian-S; 3 May 2002 at 03:29.