Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Should the safety car be used during a race to allow officials to cross the circuit?
Yes 4 6.67%
No 55 91.67%
Undecided 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Jun 2002, 08:39 (Ref:321864)   #26
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Rayner

What type of vehicles was it that were crossing the track? Was it team trucks or something? Could they have had a ferry to catch because racing was delayed?
Paul, I was out on the banks so I can only tell you what I was told as I wasn't physically present. The cars that were permitted to leave the circuit were Toca officials that wanted to go to the airport.

Now a couple of points on that.

1. The SC was brought out very early in the race to facilitate this. Prior to the race there were TWO green flag laps and there was also a 10 minute delay between the previous race and the RT race.

2. The RT race was approximately 15-20 minutes long.

3. This was Sunday evening - traffic would not have been an issue on the way to the airport.

So...they could have left prior to the race with no difficulty. They could have left after the race if they'd waited 15 minutes.

Unless they got a call from the airline saying "we've changed your flight time" I can't see how they couldn't have known they needed to leave the circuit prior to the race starting.

In addition, I don't know where they were flying TO, but if it was the UK, there are generally at least 4-5 flights a day on every route. This is also supposition, but I doubt they were flying economy class so they probably had exchangeable tickets - I could be wrong on that though and will take correction on it if provided!

I'm struggling to find any justification for this - a ferry I could understand - but at the same time, plenty of UK classes come to Mondello and if they need to catch ferries, they simply schedule a track crossing BETWEEN races. It's never been a problem before.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 26 Jun 2002 at 08:40.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 12:48 (Ref:322069)   #27
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly, EP. We were about 10 minutes into the race when the SC came out to let them cross. What on earth were they doing that they couldn' leave BEFORE the race. Before we start blaming people - I would really like to know who made this call and at what time during or before the race this decision was made.

According to our Race Programme there are a few COC's for each event so who was responsible ??
Old 26 Jun 2002, 13:00 (Ref:322082)   #28
PPitstop
Rookie

PPitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I will let you all know exactly what happened. I was flagging on the first corner and saw everything.
The safety car lights went on, I looked around, no yellow flags, no radio messages( therefore no incidents). A member of the oraganising club ran across the circuit and opened the gate. The safety car come out and picked up the leaders, when they had passed the first corner 3 dark coloured vans (similar to high roof transits) crossed the track. They forgot that there was one driver way back, as he came up the main straight he was faced with these vans blocking the circuit. He had to slow down.
When the vans and the RT2000 had passed the gate was closed and the offical ran back across the track into pitlane.
Needless to say I was very frustrated, as were many others.
But just to add insult to injury, when an RT ended up 10 feet into the gravel on our corner in a head-on position, no safety car was provided. This was a situation that really did require the SC. Ironic or what.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 13:15 (Ref:322096)   #29
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Shinners, from what I have been told by people who were there when the decision was made, it was the Event Director who had final say. However, it was at the extremely FIRM "request" of the TOCA CoC who I believe was a visitor.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 18:45 (Ref:322366)   #30
Walt
Rookie

Walt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well folk, I'm the class co-ordinator of the said class that had a safety car deployed during it's race on Sunday.

What can I say except that I'm disgusted by the whole thing. I've heard rumours that the TOCA officals were screaming blue murder about getting across the track, and said they wouldn't be back next year if they were not let back. Are they all very big in their boots. Last year we were not allowed in the paddock with them, even though it was half empty. We were promised that this year things would be different and we would be treated better. I find it very hard to understand how anyone can justify ruining a good race. Anyone who has seen the RT class race any where know they provide some serious entertainment.

I would like the TOCA guys to explain to me what they thought they were doing. Has a safety car ever been deployed during a BTCC race for a similiar thing?

I think I'll be forever disgusted

Last edited by Walt; 26 Jun 2002 at 18:50.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 18:54 (Ref:322373)   #31
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walt, I join you in your disgust - I think we all do.

I spoke with one of the CoC's and he told me that the decision was jointly made between a number of people, who I shall not name. A very bad decision in my humble opinion, but one which this particular gentleman seemed to think was perfectly reasonable considering that the RT2000 race was non-championship.

I had told several people that they should stick around for the RT2000 race as it was probably going to be the race of the day. As Walt said, the RT's are always entertaining and good to watch. The whole race was ruined and made unnecessarily dangerous in my opinion.

I noticed that we had far fewer marshals at this event than at last years BTCC event. I would hazard that numbers will be far, far fewer next year.

If TOCA are to visit again next year, then maybe they should bring enough of their own marshals to cover the circuit as I doubt there will be many volunteers from those who have experienced their complete lack of respect to a host country/circuit/people.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 18:59 (Ref:322374)   #32
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Walt, welcome on board. As I said in my previous comments about this whole lark - in my opinion the RT class was treated like by these "officials" who couldn't give a about our Irish classes obviously.

Im so sorry your race was ruined as I was looking forward to it on Sunday evening - in fact I got a text msg from my Dad asking me if I was ready for the race of the day !
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:04 (Ref:322377)   #33
Walt
Rookie

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to the race on Sunday!! I hope it's not going to be more of the same with the BOSS.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:10 (Ref:322380)   #34
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
wouldn't have thought so - the BOSS guys were pretty ok last year.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:12 (Ref:322382)   #35
blackfalcon
Racer

blackfalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was 2 range rovers and i think the 3rd vehicle was a van. i'm still suffering post traumatic stress from it .
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:17 (Ref:322387)   #36
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I did not witness this as I was working at the time but if it did happen as described above then it is the first time I have ever heard of anything remotely like that happening and whoever made the call should be sacked.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:27 (Ref:322392)   #37
Shinners
Racer

Or as somebody said earlier, donate 5 million to the Mondello circuit and then be sacked
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:30 (Ref:322395)   #38
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Craig I don't think sacking the person who made the actual call would help - that decision was made by someone in the tower who is voluntary and therefore not subject to sacking.

However, the official that made the request and insisted on doing it.....
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:36 (Ref:322399)   #39
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.....is probably too high up and too well defended to be sacked. Im not sure sacking anyone is the answer-simply make TOCA aware that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable. Either that, or Mondello should start work on a bridge or tunnel pretty quickly!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:38 (Ref:322403)   #40
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
There IS a bridge. It just doesn't allow cars. If they'd parked outside the paddock there wouldn't have been a problem.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:53 (Ref:322418)   #41
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well whoever actioned it should be punished so they are not in a position to allow a similar thing to happen again. If they are unable to stand up to a few officials who are (allegedly) so far up their own arses that they demand that a race is ruined so they can get their cars out of the paddock then should they really be allowed to make decisions that may affect a drivers safety ?

The Toca officials (again I state that I didn't see the incident so I am talking hypothetically) who demanded they be let out should also be punished. Take their car passes away and let them walk for the rest of the year - that'll teach em!

Anyway, why were their cars in the paddock anyway ? The following two snippets from the bulletins sent round to the teams prior to the event from Toca might be of interest:

Quote:
1.4.4 It should be noted that Paddock access/egress for vehicles is by crossing the track and therefore vehicles will not be able to leave the Paddock on Sunday until the end of the last race.
Quote:
1.4.8 Parking for all cars, vans, crew buses, etc. is in the Competitors Car Park in the field on the outside of the circuit by Gate 1 as directed by security personnel. STRICTLY NO VEHICLES WITH PRIVATE CAR PASSES WILL BE PERMITTED ACCESS TO THE CENTRE PADDOCK. IF ANY ARE IN THE PADDOCK PRIOR TO THE START OF RACING ON THE SUNDAY THEY WILL BE TOWED OUT OF THE PADDOCK WITHOUT WARNING! Please ensure all your private car pass holders are aware of this – the paddock area will be very tight this year and as vehicle crossings are not permitted when the circuit is live, this rule will be strictly enforced to ensure a tidy paddock for race day.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 19:56 (Ref:322421)   #42
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Thanks for that Craig - that's actually very helpful and I think it will be of great interest to people who are involved in this.

Remind me to bring you a cookie at the weekend!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 20:06 (Ref:322424)   #43
PPitstop
Rookie

I agree with you all.
The RT's are a well loved class. I had spectators behind me all day asking when the RTs where out. They were not impressed with what happened.
WW, I can agree with you, I may have something better to do next year,wash my hair, ironing or maybe I may pay in just to have a laugh.
The carry on was a disgrace, I had a photographer on post with me and he too was disguisted.
I just hope all the RTs are ready to race next week, when it counts.
This is not the last you have heard of this.
Watch this space!!!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 20:11 (Ref:322429)   #44
Shinners
Racer

Hey PPitstop, we will hijack the SC - just in case
Old 26 Jun 2002, 20:19 (Ref:322435)   #45
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunday is for a day of TOCA.
Nothing new there then. Evertyhing has to stop for these buggers doesn't it.
Oh and the other one is the Palmer Audis. Ouch! Meow!
Saucer of milk please.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 20:57 (Ref:322465)   #46
Speedway
Rookie

Speedway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Shawn don't agree, TOCA were a pain last year and again this year. Palmer Audi visited Ireland last year and they were a pleasure to have. No politics, no orders, just great racing. Sorry they are not back on the Irish calender this year. Sunday with the TOCA tour was a disgrace. Not to mention dangerous. I know of 1 RT driver who I spoke to after who was not happy by any stretch.From what I heard TOCA will be back next year ,under contract, After that who knows?? Who cares??
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:13 (Ref:322472)   #47
mondello king2
Rookie

mondello king2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two cents worth
Hi all
I was the I.O at delta 4 (turn 1) I WAS DISGUSTED at what went on during the rt2000 race . as most of you know there was a rt in the gravel trap at delta4 in a head on position. i requested a safty car so it could be removed to a safer area. this was turn't down by the race director. the same race director that put the safty car out to allow toca officals leave the paddock. this race director should never be allowed near a race track again. never mind be a race offical.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:42 (Ref:322494)   #48
Walt
Rookie

Hi Folks,
I hate to disappoint you but I do not think that P Reilly's car will be out this weekend. Paul had hired it to Des for the next event, and he is really disappointed that he won't be able to go out to play with the rest of the lads.
As you have said above evil Pumkin, you cannot sack a person who is not employed but he can have his licence revoked and he can be banned. I have little faith in MSI and the committee that they will not accept this behaviour. I think it will be forgotten about when they hope we will have forgotten about it.

I've written a letter to the RC, if enough people voice I believe they have to do something. I would hope MRMCI are not accepting this one.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:48 (Ref:322501)   #49
T.H.Photo
Rookie

Ireland
dublin
T.H.Photo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi walt
mrmci will not be letting this go with out a letter going to the rc to sit with yours
and the c/m on the day i will have alot to say
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:55 (Ref:322507)   #50
PPitstop
Rookie

Walt,
You can be sure the MRMCI will back you up on
this one.
You know my email address.
I will be in contact soon. This will be dealt with ASAP.
There is a letter to the RC being drafted, further details to follow.
Plese contact me by email with any comments.

Last edited by PPitstop; 26 Jun 2002 at 21:56.