Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:52 (Ref:340042)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
This is what makes MS so unique as he has the ability to drive around these sort of design quirks and maximise whatever is available to him.(IMO)
Sorry as i don't want this to start off an anti-TGF topic, but the difference is the the two Williams drivers have to drive what they're given, Ferrari give TGF a car that is ideally suited for him.(IMO)
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:01 (Ref:340061)   #27
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Mr V, that may be true of this year but not previously. MS has for years driven a car that is inferior to the competition and yet has taken the fight to them. Don't get me wrong Iam not a blind MS fan but I admire good racing when I see it.
This year MS has clearly the best car / package / team whatever but from 1995 to 2001 that was not the case.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:22 (Ref:340084)   #28
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Schu has ever had a car qith quite such unruley handling as this years Williams. How JPM held that car as it stepped out on the long right hand sweep is behond me.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:26 (Ref:340092)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Mal, the point i'm trying to make is, that although Michael hasn't always had the best car, the car has been designed around him even in the years when it hasn't been the best out there.

as posted by Mal

This year MS has clearly the best car / package / team whatever but from 1995 to 2001 that was not the case.

1996, 1997, and 1998 he didn't have the best car, the Ferrari's of 2000, 2001 and this year have definatly been the best car out there.

(it can also be argued that 1999 they had the best car if a so called third rate driver -Eddie Irvine, can get the majority of the points that give Ferrari the WCC!)
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:43 (Ref:340106)   #30
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Mr V, I accept your point that the car is designed around him as that is precisely one of his greatest talents - ie getting the team to motivated and focused, however I dont agree that the Ferrari was the best car in 2000 and maybe not in 2001(reliability rather than speed gave MS the edge that year).
Personally I dont beleive that Irvine was a third rate driver. He has been slated for his vocal opinions and this has tarnished what I beleive was quite a talent(second rate - not first). He now appears, however to be over the hill and should be popping down to M & S for his pipe and slippers
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:56 (Ref:340119)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
however I dont agree that the Ferrari was the best car in 2000 and maybe not in 2001(reliability rather than speed gave MS the edge that year).
Reliability is a major part of being the best car, whats the point of having the fastest engine (reputed to be BMW last year) if it always seems to blow up (JPM's springs to mind) so that is why i believe that the Ferrari's of 2000 and 2002 were the best cars out there. in 2000 TGF only had 2 unreliability failures and 2001 he had 1 failure and was withdrawn at Imola, not bad for not the best car out there!

Last edited by Mr V; 22 Jul 2002 at 21:56.

Tags
jpm