Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Wot do you think it takes more of to make it to the TOP
Talent 10 28.57%
Money 25 71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2002, 22:31 (Ref:365730)   #26
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that those who are not involved in the sport think that talent is more important - thats naive.

We would all like to think so, but talent is second to money, from Formula Vee to Formula One. Thats a fact.
My lap times at the start of the year were 2 seconds quicker than they are now, the reason, i can't spend £700 on a new set of tyres.....ditto club racers up and down the country.

It takes money, talent and the right people and buckets of luck to be Kimi Raikkonen.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 01:19 (Ref:365776)   #27
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First you need money. Even if you have talent, who's gonna know? Can't get a drive by saying 'I've got talent' to the organisers!! Someone's got to stump up the money. There was a statistic going around a few years ago... for every ten thousand drivers hoping to make the big time, only one does. The rest of us go club racing, pay for it ourselves and do that Walter Mitty bit in our heads, pretending we're doing F1 or whatever!
Old 26 Aug 2002, 12:55 (Ref:365954)   #28
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well guys, it takes money. Everybody who is involved in motorsports knows how its done. F3000 is open to anybody who has a 1,5 million USD. There are teams out of business just waiting for rich drivers, just think about Prostar (Prost junior team last year). The owner Dominique Delestre owns his workshop, all the tools, and transportation, and yet he is out of the series. Or look at Justin Willson, who has proved that he has talent and still is not in F1 or not even in CART. That is the sad reality. Finally, excuse my English, I promise I will practice. Cheers,
Old 26 Aug 2002, 13:44 (Ref:365966)   #29
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say money will get you so far... but at some point a bit of talent is required. That said, if you have enough money, you might be able to spend enough time in racing to learn enough to move up the ranks..and maybe even to F1.

Talent on the other hand won't get you very far... unless you can be in the right place at the right time and catch the attention of someone that DOES have money.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:04 (Ref:367304)   #30
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rlinter

No one would except maybe a rich Daddy.....
Even the richest Dad in the world can't buy you race wins that takes TALENT!!!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:37 (Ref:367443)   #31
Keefyboy
Rookie

Keefyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everybody's said what I would have said. If you've got an injection of cash you've got more of a chance of making it further than somebody with very little.

However, Matt-tray hit the nail on the head. If you can afford to practice every week you're only going to get better. No money but you have talent? Then you'll be quick, but not quick enough...

Keith
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:28 (Ref:367481)   #32
Billy Bong
Rookie

Billy Bong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money Money Money!! Most important thing in M'Sport is money, thats the only way people stay in F1. Money will get you everywhere ...... talent will keep you there.

As for rich daddies ... most seem to have more money than sense!