Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2002, 07:14 (Ref:443081)   #26
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Kimi makes the same bonehead errors that JPM frequently makes after 7 years of racing experience, then yes, I will begin to criticise Kimi.

P.S Kimi has had to change teams, JPM has had the stable Williams environment for the last two years. If you look at what Kimi has achieved at age 22, you cant help but be impressed.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 07:51 (Ref:443086)   #27
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
"Did that crash Hakkinen had in 95 damage his brain? His speech always seemed stemmed as if it were a side effect of his crash"

I don't think so monster(or is that MR monster?).Although it's true his brain was starved of Ox for a little bit,it was nowhere near enough to cause any damage.Besides,it's just his weird way of talking.Fins just sound very odd to us.
It's just the way Finns talk. If you listen to Kimi or Marcus Grönholm, you'll here much of the same. They talk with the same diction when they speak Swedish too - for me, who knows Swedish, I can clearly hear the difference between a Swede speaking Swedish and a Finn speaking Swedish. It's just due to the style of the Finnish language. If you hear a Finn talking Finnish, you'll hear it.

As for Kimi, he's great for his age, and makes very few mistakes in spite of still being very inexperienced, so I think that's why few criticize him. However, I remember that I was one of the few people who criticized him for keeping his foot down through the engine smoke at Spa - if indeed he couldn't see much, then that was dangerous and reckless driving, and he should have eased off a bit.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 09:14 (Ref:443110)   #28
stido
Racer

stido should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be honest i think it is because kimi never talks unless he has too, whereas JPM is complaining and can never seem to blaim himself even when it is his fault, JPM always says oh the stupid car or whatever, JPM needs to concentrate on making the car run properly, and leave his own teammate who he has been slagging off all season alone, it seems to me that JPM just cant seem to handle competitivness, and if that is the case (as much as id hate to admit it) he will never win a F1 world championship, whereas i think you will find Kimi go higher and higher through the ranks of F1. You dont see Kimi slagging off his own team and teammate. all you see kimi do is heads down to racing. considering the willaims BMW has been better than the mclaren, and this is JPM's second year in F1, i think Kimi is doing all the right moves, considering he is in a slightly worse car, and only his first year in a competitive car.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 13:08 (Ref:443259)   #29
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for his age and experience (lack of), Kimi is a very professional driver.

How many mistakes did he make in 2001? Hardly any which damaged the car!

I think many people have a go at JPM because although he is electric in qualifying, he manages to screw it up in races, i mean, 7 poles and no race!? i think many people think he should have done better.

I wonder how well Williams will do next year, in terms of getting the car right to suit Juan, like Kimi had this year (had to link it back to kimi), because maybe Kimi and Juan just had a car which complemented their style of driving.

Will next year be different!?

Tom.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:27 (Ref:443336)   #30
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan only needs a competitive car (give him the 2nd Ferrari, and he'll do the rest !)
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:31 (Ref:443345)   #31
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give half the drivers on the grid the 2002 Ferrari and they'll do the rest...
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:36 (Ref:443352)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by stido
it seems to me that JPM just cant seem to handle competitivness,
And this is why he was 3rd in the WDC, best of the rest behind the Ferrari's and in front of his team-mate, and why he notched up 7 poles this year against his team-mates 0 poles, in an equal car! If this is a driver who can't handle competition, i can't wait to see him once he has learnt to handle it.

Quote:
You dont see Kimi slagging off his own team and teammate.
The reason he doesn't is because the team and DC never slag Kimi off (in public) so he doesn't have to defend himself (in public). How often have we heard Patrick Head and especially Rafe slag Juan off? quite abit, Juan is only defending himself. It's interesting that Ron will openly slag down DC (brain fade anyone?) but not he young protege.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:43 (Ref:443358)   #33
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keke Rosberg was always quite stylish and interesting in interviews, Mika just struck me as being quite dull, as all he ever said was "Yes. It is nice. We had a good car. I had a good race with Michael". Kimi seems shy as well and s obviously struggling with the public attention.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:46 (Ref:443359)   #34
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Suffice it to say that just when we wonder where/who/when the next generation of top drivers are going to appear we are blessed with these two! You have to love the contrast: one an extrovert, the other a quiet sort. Both passionate about their racing. May they have competitive rides forever! Next year is going to be great watching JPM and Kimi go for it.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 15:03 (Ref:443374)   #35
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
If Kimi makes the same bonehead errors that JPM frequently makes after 7 years of racing experience, then yes, I will begin to criticise Kimi.
OK, criticize your idol (MS) then..., he did an absolute amateur move this year, can't remember when or where.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 15:35 (Ref:443396)   #36
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason is:

Kimi doesn't make mistakes very often (if at all yet)

Juan tends to make mistake all the time.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 17:19 (Ref:443461)   #37
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OK, criticize your idol (MS) then
Ok, I should be fair...
Michael your such an amateur!!! How dare you just win 11 out of 17 grand prix!! Why have you only one 5 WDC?? You've been racing for a decade now Mikey!!! What happened the other 5 years???? And how Michael do you explain such a pathetic win ratio, you've only won 64 grand prix when you've started over 150 GP's!!!!!!
Michael, its never too late to improve, if you ever hope of becoming a pro then you have to do what the pros do. I suggest the following:-

1) Forget about wins for now, qualifying is everything!! Even if these means choosing a supersoft tyre which will last 2 laps go for it!! Nobody remembers the race winner mike, saturday is where the glory is!!

2) If your ever racing in Brazil and you've got the best car, then try slipstreaming 1mm behind the guy in front. At 350kmph you may lose your front wing but to hell with that! Just blame the guy in front if something does happen, and dont worry if your team boss disagrees!!

3) If a 22 year old Finn tries an overtaking move on you then dont crack under the pressure! Just keep your head screwed on, zig zag around the track, lock up your tires every corner, let him overtake you, and then destroy your car on the run off area just to show him who's boss!!!

4) Dont take any **** from that cubehead!! If you've been off pace all weekend and theres no hope for a win why settle for 3 championship points??? Have some respect for the fans and put on a show!! I suggest a high speed doughnut into that PR puppet Coulthard. At least this way, everyone will know you have big balls!!!

5) Italians love nothing more than watching a car being thrashed!!! If your in Italy, and youve been passed by your teammate and two opponents in the space of five laps, then screw the race!! Just do a huge lock up in front of the passionate tifosi, watch half the front bodywork rip to sheds, and then spend the rest of the day confused wondering why your suspension could have failed.

6) Keep your pit crew sharp!!! Forget about pre-planned fuel strategies, nothing gets the pit crew's attention quite like a random pitstop. I understand this will compromise your race, but at least it will teach those lazy pricks a lesson.

Last edited by z2252314; 5 Dec 2002 at 17:21.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 17:29 (Ref:443471)   #38
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now this is a Juan vs. Kimmi post.
Both drivers have about the same experience in F1 so lets not make excuses for KR. He screws up just like anyone else. He also has an awful personality. It was even said by his former team boss, maybe not as directly but implied. Remember when he crashed out of Suzuka and took Alesi out with him. He acted as though it was Alesi's fault. People say Juan complains and whines. He gets asked questions by the press and he answers. I have seen him give interviews and at no time does he seem to be whining or *****ing. He raced in the US where drivers know that they are blessed, unlike some Europeans like RS that seem to think its their God given right.
On the track I have a lot of respect for both their talents. JPM is definitely the best out there now. He will beat anyone, IMO with equal equipment. KR does not let his emotions control his actions which I would say is his biggest strength.
I don't understand the Juan bashing at all. Every time I see it I wonder if I get the same footage as the rest of the posters. When Juan makes bad mistakes its because he is fighting hard. MS goes off the track for no reason at all!! It is a known fact that the Williams was not as well balanced as the Mac. JPM was not like RS who preserves the car; he drives the car as fast and as hard as it will go. With the Macs it was easier to do but the car did not have the power.
Dislike for the man should not cloud ones judgment. JPM and KR are two of the best in the sport now. MS wins because of the car, thats it! How many mistakes does JPM make compared to his teammate, very few!! Compared to Kimmi he is still in good standing. Some drivers actually enter F1 to race not just collect pay checks.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 17:33 (Ref:443475)   #39
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cos he's so sweet and vulnerable and cuddly, and you just want to wrap him up in a big bear hug and take him home and sit him in front of the fire.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 17:56 (Ref:443500)   #40
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Now this is a Juan vs. Kimmi post.
Both drivers have about the same experience in F1 so lets not make excuses for KR.
That they have the same experience in F1 does not tell the whole story - read my earlier post.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 18:00 (Ref:443504)   #41
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
MS goes off the track for no reason at all!!
That's what I tried to tell to Mr. Z, previously.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 19:15 (Ref:443573)   #42
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Juan tends to make mistake all the time.

Juan has made a few mistakes, but what driver hasn't? Mistakes all the time seems to be a bit OTT to me Hakk.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 19:33 (Ref:443589)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I always have looked at it this way: If you don't screw-up occasionally, you are not trying hard enough!

My sense of JPM and Schumi Lite for example has been that Schumi Lite will drive within the limit of the car. JPM will drive the car AT the limit. It is the tendency to do this that I am seeing Kimi start to do with more confidence during this past season.

And yes, Kimi makes mistakes as does JPM. I would prefer to see those mistakes as they (usually) are the type where they are pushing hard. One hopes as they mature and gain experience at F1 level racing they both learn to minimize the mistakes!

Drivers like DC, Schumi Lite, RB drive well witihin the limits of their cars - which is why I think all things being equal (anticipating here the word: "Contract!") they will not push to the limit and ultimately not become a WDC. JPM/Kimi have the potential to do that.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:443607)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
Agreed John, back in 1993, Damon Hill went of in one of the sessions and he said afterwards that if you don't go off occasionally then Patrick Head doesn't think that your trying enough! The Williams team love a racer, JPM, dispite going off occasionally, is just that, they can see that he is trying very hard to acheive the best result possible and 7 poles this year bears testimoney to that. The other thing that the team love about JPM is that he interacts with them, he visits the factory and is very warm and friendly with the team, unlike his team-mate who is cold and doesn't visit the HQ, doesn't get poles etc.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:16 (Ref:443622)   #45
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Schumi Lite and the term "personable" just don't mix, do they?

Some guys are born leaders. Whatever his faults I think JPM is one.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:17 (Ref:443624)   #46
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
That they have the same experience in F1 does not tell the whole story - read my earlier post.
I have already read your post. If they were in CART then I would give the experience to JPM but as far as F1 they are both at about the same level of experience. Yes JPM has more to draw from but unforutnately you cant drive an F1 car like a CHAMP car. JPM found that out in his first season. DaMatta will find that out too. Do you think DaMatta has a advantage over Sato because he has been racing longer? Or does Sato have the advantage because he knows how F1 cars behave in the heat of battle.

JPM and Kimmi are at the same place in F1. JPM may be more accomplished but he is just about as new to F1 and KR.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:53 (Ref:443654)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
In a sense, Kimi might have the advantage there as he has less to "unlearn" than JPM does/did/whatever. Kimi is used to a progression if you will where JPM spent a good bit of time in CART. There are some things about driving aChamp car that become automatic over time that do not translate at all to F1.

DaMatta will have the same learning curve, maybe worse since the Toyota isn't exactly a pleasure to drive.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 21:07 (Ref:443664)   #48
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
to be honest i think it is because kimi never talks unless he has too, whereas JPM is complaining and can never seem to blaim himself even when it is his fault, JPM always says oh the stupid car or whatever, JPM needs to concentrate on making the car run properly...
huh. ok. JPM, if you'll actually listen to the man, is one of the few drivers who WILL actually take the blame for a retirement. After Monaco 2001 he said he "pushed too hard", after Hungary he said HE couldn't "get the balence right", at Monza this year he said he simply "broke to late for the chicane" (interviews curtousy of F1 Digital ). This year at Monaco (having learnt from his previous years mistakes and qualifying on pole) he quipped that "I'm just glad it wasn't my fault" after his engine blew. This makes it more believeable when he does blame the car, as he has been willing to blame himself in the past. Find another driver who has ever done the same and I'll be very impressed.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 21:37 (Ref:443689)   #49
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Michael Schumacher ? (I'm blatantly kidding on this one...)
Old 5 Dec 2002, 21:51 (Ref:443703)   #50
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IDo you think DaMatta has a advantage over Sato because he has been racing longer? Or does Sato have the advantage because he knows how F1 cars behave in the heat of battle.

Its a different story, but yes, I think DaMatta has the experience edge over Sato, and should make less stupid mistakes than him in his rookie year.

But you're really comparing apples and oranges. Remember, Kimi's first time in a *kart* was in 1997 (the year Montoya signed as a Williams test driver) and his first non-kart drive was in 1999!