Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:45 (Ref:493330)   #26
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, the GT car is now back in the lead
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:45 (Ref:493331)   #27
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racers' Group is leading the race!!!

The lead Brumos just cut out on the infield section.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:47 (Ref:493333)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there an online commentry of the race??????????????
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:49 (Ref:493336)   #29
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great timing, too.

Just after they had an interview with Rodger Edmondson, and talking up the DSP's, the lead car picks that time to go "Brrraapppp!!"

Grand-Am's worst nightmare may just happen yet...
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:52 (Ref:493340)   #30
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was interesting that there are articles floating round that quotes Yates as saying a DSP is a Stock Car in a different shell...
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:58 (Ref:493346)   #31
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams have been having major problems with the tires......the rear tires were totally unsuited.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:06 (Ref:493352)   #32
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sascha and Lucas are probably out of the race, and Timo and Jorge are leading. A mixed day for Alex Job Racing then! I don't guess they're getting many e-mails, they read about one each hour. And I liked the little dance they did around the question of where the Corvette team was this year too.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:16 (Ref:493364)   #33
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am keeping an eye on the Andy Wallace Car, I just having a feeling that it might win................

Last edited by rdjones; 2 Feb 2003 at 00:19.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:28 (Ref:493373)   #34
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never expect a GT car leading the overall 24 Hour race, but its a long way to go. The Burmos Porsche team were fast until the #59 car was off-roading and their sister car the #58 Red Bull car lost its engine going out of the chicane. The worst crash I've ever saw was the #67 Racer's Group Porsche smashed right into the Archangel SRP II's front end.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:35 (Ref:493378)   #35
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz that was an awfully slow and uncomfortable dance by Jack Baldwin
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:19 (Ref:493393)   #36
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A GT in with a chance of winning the Rolex 24... - I didn't think it was actually possible but man have I been proven wrong! The second Brumos car won't survive either.
Bell, Bell & Associates back up to 16th, that's good to see. I haven't given up hope yet.
The Perspective Mosler is the only GTS in with a shout, it seems.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:51 (Ref:493406)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the Daytona 24hrs Defence, ok there is mainly - ok ok well almost all amauter drivers but there are some top line pros there also like. Andy Wallace, Terry Borcheller, Mowlem, Ralf Kelleners, Saccha Massen, Lucas Luhur, Luca Ricatelli, David Terrain. But I will admit that the race has gone down hill in a big way this year, at least in 2000 and 2001 there were the Oreca Vipers and factory Corvettes...
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:13 (Ref:493419)   #38
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the Racer's Group porsche gets the overall win. They have been the class of the GT field for a bit now and it would be nice to see them get this feather for their cap. Thats probably the only thing keeping me interested in this race. The novelty of the DP's has worn off and now I am just sad at what the 24hrs of Daytona has become.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:24 (Ref:493424)   #39
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
and now, the Schumacher team may now pull out of the race, because of the situation with the "spec tires". The fear is that they might have another blowout and cause a lot more damage to not only themselves, but to other drivers.

They could just take out some negative camber. You would think that they would have gotten the hint by now.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 03:07 (Ref:493447)   #40
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
any chance I can pick up any footage or live telecast on the web ????
Old 2 Feb 2003, 03:47 (Ref:493468)   #41
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted this on the IMSA boards, but it remains my view of the 24 HR's so far--->

OK. I've been watching much of the race today, and simply have to wonder what the heck is the actual point of the DP's. I'm watching, to trying and stay objective to the concept, but it does not seem to really have any reason to be there.

If the DP's have basically production based engines, which are very similar to the GT's, then what is wrong with simply running a production based sportcar series instead? I'm actually enjoying watching the GT and GTS class, and almost feel the DP's are not adding that much at all to the race. Almost like an 'after thought' thrown into the mix.

I'm trying...but I just don't get manufacturing a prototype (not seemingly conected to anything) that is competing to a GT cless Porsche. And it seems, per the GA 'brass' comments, that *is* the objective.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:56 (Ref:493506)   #42
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it!

I am really enjoying the Daytona 24.

If the G/A is smart they will make sure that GT cars will continue to have have a chance to win overall.

Seeing mid engined DPs and GT cars like the Ferrari 360 and Porsche 911GT-R really going at it is fantastic.

In 2004 the G/A should do away with AGT/GTS as planned, let Moslers run in GT trim again and only have GT and Daytona Prototypes -all running for the overall win.

KM

Last edited by MaxSport; 2 Feb 2003 at 04:57.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 05:35 (Ref:493540)   #43
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Grand-Am made a mistake envoking the "Prototype" name. They should have called them Daytona "Super Cars". That way there would be better acceptance of their massive performance deficit compared to the historic prototypes of the years; they would be more accepted as the suped-up GTS cars that they are. I think the concept would have sold better that way. Instead they tell us that these are "Prototypes", yet I'm watching the timing and scoring duel between the #59 Fabcar and #66 Porsche GT3R and seeing them exchange nearly equal lap times (lap 325/326, 1:53.1 vs. 1:54.8).

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 2 Feb 2003 at 05:38.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 06:27 (Ref:493556)   #44
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Grand-Am made a mistake envoking the "Prototype" name. They should have called them Daytona "Super Cars"."

Well said,Mike.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 07:36 (Ref:493581)   #45
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Prototypes" they are not. What these cars are is high priced kit-cars, period, dot, end.

Turn any garage mechanic loose with a small block chevy, or a reasonably sized V6, some tubing, a welding rig, and a sympathetic fiberglass shop, and you could *still* end up with a so called "prototype". God knows...I've built more than a few VW-based buggies in my time, and none of them were your average "40 horse" toys. In fact, one was a turbo special that ran high 10's at the strip.

I will admit that I am thouroughly disgusted with this so-called "class" of race cars...that it should never have been touted as a "prototype" class. No. These car should be *faster* than the GT cars. They should eat the GTS/AGT cars for breakfast.

But they do not.

Instead, they totter 'round the track, barely keeping pace with the better GT runners, and in many cases, just plain breaking when they have supposedly "reliable" engines in them.

This class is a travesty of the "prototype" name. It needs to be eliminated.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 08:13 (Ref:493592)   #46
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just the DP's. It's the entire concept of the race. They must be strangling the GTS cars beyond belief, the SRP2's are slow and have tiny little fuel cells. They obviously want a relativly level playing field. I don't want to see a Saleen on crutches. If they simply want low cost competative racing. Why not the 24 hours of Yugo? All they have to do is bring up there historic file footage to see what this race is all about. They've all lost their minds!!!
Old 2 Feb 2003, 11:34 (Ref:493695)   #47
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
The Racer Group car is now 3 laps ahead of the Multimatic car..........
Old 2 Feb 2003, 11:36 (Ref:493697)   #48
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what happened to the "Bell, Bell and associates" car then?, it was on "pole" wasn't it, how'd it drop back so low?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 12:31 (Ref:493719)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How are the pit stops panning out? How many laps can each car/class do between stops? And are the top two pitting close to each other (in time)?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 12:43 (Ref:493726)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems (pit stops not with standing that the multimatic is catching the Racers Group car at about 1s a lap at the moment. It is 105s behind.