Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jun 2003, 16:43 (Ref:647374)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
the baby prototypes have been bolstered in strength by the actions of a one James Weaver in a LolaMG

BRASELTON, Ga. (AP) - James Weaver was awarded the pole for the American Le Mans series race after qualifying was canceled because of a wet track Saturday at Road Atlanta.
The starting lineup for the race Sunday was determined by practice speeds. Weaver had the fastest lap at 123.990 mph in the Dyson Racing Lola-MG. He will co-drive with Butch Leitzinger.
from associated press
can you believe the spunky dyson team did such a thing at atlanta?
too bad they just killed the class
LMP675 will be grandfathered into LMP1. Its only Dyson going for outright wins, no one else. Dyson will switch to LMP900/LMGTP, probably Lola again, when the lifespan of the MG ends.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 16:50 (Ref:647382)   #27
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
welter rachel
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:11 (Ref:647409)   #28
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
With LMP 675 finishing 3rd 4th and 5th at Atlanta it seems they may find pace and reliability just in time for the axe to fall!!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:51 (Ref:647460)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Stupid question...who are WR?
Quote:
welter rachel
WR stands for Welter Racing. This team is owned by Gerard & Rachel Welter.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:51 (Ref:647462)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't get your hopes too high just yet...remember, it was one of the 2 hr. 45 min. races, and the lead Dyson car had yet more problems with the alternator -- one of the many gremlins that seems to plague the MG-Lola -- and one that seems to reoccur on a regular basis...

Note...The WR (Welter Racing) chassis has that Mazda rotary engine in it...it was the same chassis that died at Le Mans in the first half hour of the race in 2002....

Added Note: the car is not run by Welter racing itself, but Dawson, a team out of Atlanta...the car was the all-red prot on TV that was being passed by just about everyone still running on the circuit...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:57 (Ref:647471)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
With LMP 675 finishing 3rd 4th and 5th at Atlanta it seems they may find pace and reliability just in time for the axe to fall!!
Don;t think its the pace or reliability thats the problem with LMP675, its the cost. Whats the point of a 'junior' class thats as expensive as a LMP900. I'm sure the R&S MkIII is cheaper to buy and run than the MG. Dyson chose the MG as they thought it would be guicker, not cheaper than an LMP900, other than the Audi. Next time out they will buy an LMP900/LMGTP.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 18:15 (Ref:647489)   #32
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes, isn't the WR the same car that Jim Downing had at Road Atlanta yesterday? During the race I wondered if it was a rebadged Kudzu that Jim had finally taken in for crash testing...I guess not.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 18:54 (Ref:647528)   #33
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Don;t think its the pace or reliability thats the problem with LMP675, its the cost. Whats the point of a 'junior' class thats as expensive as a LMP900. I'm sure the R&S MkIII is cheaper to buy and run than the MG. Dyson chose the MG as they thought it would be guicker, not cheaper than an LMP900, other than the Audi. Next time out they will buy an LMP900/LMGTP.
Yesterday's telecast suggested the season cost for Champion was $4.5M US.

While talking to me, James Weaver reckoned that Dyson's yearly budget was somewhat less than that for a two car effort. (That was before factoring in any support given by AER and Lola, which would reduce their overall cost.)

I'd say that Dyson will buy whatever can get them on the podium, and work out the season budget afterward. They won't (wouldn't) buy a car that's cheaper if they don't think it can be competitive. How much do you think they'd have saved if they had bought the R&S? What about the Crawford? A DP?

That said, you're right that the next time out they'll buy into the top class - because that's where they want to be. Won't be a 900, though.

Last edited by paul-collins; 30 Jun 2003 at 19:02.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2003, 18:58 (Ref:647532)   #34
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that said dyson is one of the better privateer racing teams there are, it is a shame they can not get into the best machinery- it'd be neat to see a thetford/norcold liveried Panoz run by the dyson guys, with Twin turbo 4 litre v8 from anyone...
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:08 (Ref:647542)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
Just to clarify, I'm not saying the cost is to great for Dyson, who are out to win, outright.

But for the smaller teams who are running non MG/DBAs, the cost of the top cars is too much for them. I'm sure the LMP750 class will attract some GT and new teams, who at the moment will not compete as they cannot afford to buy/run an MG or DBA, and will only compete in LM675/750 when they can afford a car that can compete for class wins. As I say Dysons no t interested in class wins they want to win overall with which ever car is the best for there needs, hence they chose the MG over cheaper, but less competitive LMP900.

BTW, they'll run an LMGTP?

Could it be a Lola OR an Audi? The Bentley can be ruled out can't it?

Last edited by JAG; 30 Jun 2003 at 19:15.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:11 (Ref:647547)   #36
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
that said dyson is one of the better privateer racing teams there are, it is a shame they can not get into the best machinery- it'd be neat to see a thetford/norcold liveried Panoz run by the dyson guys, with Twin turbo 4 litre v8 from anyone...
i think Dyson would much sooner have an MG than Panoz. The Panoz is the past, the MG the future. (at least for a couple of competitive years anyway).
Old 30 Jun 2003, 21:35 (Ref:647776)   #37
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
There is no "Dawson" Racing, its "Downing" as in Jim Downing of Kudzu and HANS fame.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 21:42 (Ref:647786)   #38
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't think there'll be an R&S MkIIID LMGTP chassis?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 23:48 (Ref:647883)   #39
JAG
Veteran

England
After the recent success/pace of the MkIIIc it would be nice to see.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 02:50 (Ref:647941)   #40
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
A few quick comments: the IMSA Nissan GTP was always a six cylinder engine. The Toyata GTP was a four cylinder.

I like the different classes. That is an aspect that has always drawn me to endurance sports car racing. Just need to make the smaller classes more feasable to build and run for smaller, less well funded teams. The fact that the Lola MG is not reliable after the efforts put into it is something of joke.

I don't see how you are going to get to a full field of 900/GTP type cars anytime soon. Too much money. Unless you want to accept about 10-15 entries the calibur of the Norma (or worse). Look at the grids, there aren't that many top cars showing up in the US or Europe.

If sponsorship dollars and factory involvement were so easy to come by, I wouldn't have to look for the kid's piggy banks to get a new engine for the endurance bike...
Old 1 Jul 2003, 02:53 (Ref:647943)   #41
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz may be an older chassis, but the dyson team so famous for helping and or developing the car them selves, seem like a good match, after all it got 5th in lemans, after the VAG juggernaut. not bad
Dyson can do very well, and Lola 675 chassis is out now and the panoz is a consistant front runner or maybe Panoz need Dyson to make their car a real winner...?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 05:41 (Ref:647986)   #42
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True that, Dyson could really give the Panoz a shot in the arm. I think they are much better off with the MG-Lola, as it is just way faster. I don't beleive it's capable of the Sebring win they want, but they are contenders for the pole at every race, and that's a good place to be.

Was the alternator what took the #20 car out of contention?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:56 (Ref:648440)   #43
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry about the "Dawson" racing...it was typed into a response in a hurry...it is Downing...

But it is still slow, regardless of the name...

One American Open Wheel Series!