Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2003, 23:32 (Ref:682422)   #26
miramar
Rookie

miramar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
montreal, gilles villeneuve, ile de notre dame.
as good as austria...that's the reason to be drop.

how many formula one fans still alive?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 23:32 (Ref:682424)   #27
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Ok, I don't blame Canada's tobacco laws...with regards to advertising they're not much different than the US, Britain and most of Europe...

so....why was Canada dropped?
It's exactly what happened to Spa and Austria, their ban came in before the ban to be implemented by the FIA. Countries with a ban already performed tha ban several years ago when it wasn't such a big deal, when the races were kept out of history rather than business.

As for the US, it's a bit wierd. The Tobacco companies can only be a sponsor in one major series that is raced in or visits the US. This is why Jordan can race with B&H on their cars there but Ferrari can't run with Marlboro as they already sponsor Penske in IRL.

Last edited by kristof14; 7 Aug 2003 at 23:39.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 23:47 (Ref:682434)   #28
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story is now also on AtlasF1. Here is a quote that I do not understand ...

"The Canadian Grand Prix has not and will not take action with the federal and provincial governments in order to obtain amendments to the anti-tobacco laws," Legault said.

Ted
Old 8 Aug 2003, 00:25 (Ref:682449)   #29
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's because the laws we have aren't much different from the ones in the other countries F1 races at...

For one reason or another, the FIA has singled out Canada as the next one to fall.

It does seem rather hard to believe that it won't be occuring after all these years. It's become such a tradition in Canadian motorsports. Hopefully it won't be off for long.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Aug 2003, 00:33 (Ref:682452)   #30
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really sucks obviously for all F1 fans but especially for me as all my University friends from Canada and I were already making plans to attend the Montreal GP as our final little get together (as we graduate in April 2004)....what are we gonna do now? ...Indianapolis? Probably too expensive.

Hopefully some kind of deal can be worked out with the Canadian govt. before the shedule is released in October. I wonder what Villeneuve will have to say?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 01:06 (Ref:682462)   #31
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wild stuff, I can't believe it's true.

Guess we now know why Bernie let CART race there.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 01:13 (Ref:682465)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Sad, very sad. I'm growing tired of Bernie's BS.

Maybe I'm just ****ed right now, but perhaps I'll try sticking to some form of racing with a soul left.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 01:18 (Ref:682468)   #33
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montreal is now Babyproof. You can allow your unsupervised toddlers to view the remains of a once international event without any fear that they will be ruined for life by seeing a tobacco ad at 200 mph.

I wonder if this particular slap at F1 in Canada is due to the fact that Imperial Tobacco is headquartered in Montreal?

In any case, this is the first severely painful result of the Babyproofing Brigade, and it will be interesting to see how they handle the backlash. You can't go on forever believing actions never have consequences. Actions ALWAYS have consequences. The demise of the Canadian Grand Prix is a $38 million consequence.

But at least the toddlers are now safe.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 01:44 (Ref:682477)   #34
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This seems disastrous not only for all the fans within 300 miles of the race (like me), but for the people of Montreal. I think it's up to Canadians to make an issue of this immediately.

The anti-tobacco Nazis (like our Mayor Bloomberg in New York) are having their way right now, and the rest of us must either live with it or do something about it. Like it or not, we can't have auto racing on a grand (prix) scale without cigarette sponsorship and advertising. Cigarettes are legal products that subsidize our governments to the tune of billions in tax dollars (both from "Big Tobacco" corporate taxes and "poor schmuck" sales taxes), and yet our "Big Nanny" governments think we're too weak-willed to be allowed to see a few logos on race cars. The stupidity and hypocrisy is mind-numbing. I love Montreal and I hope its citizens can do something about the laws that are about to end F1 racing in Canada.

Sorry to open up a potentially angry political debate here, but this is a case where politics and F1 are inseparable. For the record, I don't smoke and I have no sympathy for tobacco companies.

Last edited by eatapc; 8 Aug 2003 at 01:45.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 01:52 (Ref:682479)   #35
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
Like it or not, we can't have auto racing on a grand (prix) scale without cigarette sponsorship and advertising. Cigarettes are legal products that subsidize our
The thing is, tobacco advertising is going to be a thing of the past very soon. In 2005, the laws in the EU will be identical to Canada's. They already are in Britain and France, not much different in the US...yet F1 doesn't mind racing there without logos.

Personally, I think tobacco sponsorship is going and that's just something the teams and series have to adjust to...even if it means major cost cutting. It's something Cart, IRL and Nascar are having to deal with...and I don't think F1 is exempt.

I don't think Montreal can afford to lose this event, so perhaps the government could give another temporary exemption...say 4 years. I think the chances of there being any tobacco ads on teh cars in 2008 are very slim.

Last edited by Jay; 8 Aug 2003 at 01:54.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Aug 2003, 02:34 (Ref:682491)   #36
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Despain on Speed channel 'windtunnel' announced this as true
no Canadian Gp in 2004
ack does bernie know no fans he apparently doesn't care, so the move of the US gp to June does what for the calender?
what in the universe is he up to?
well if CART is going to be the mega series it was and can be now is time to pick up some pieces...
Old 8 Aug 2003, 02:40 (Ref:682493)   #37
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping to go there next year.....

Is it the Canadian government or the Quebec government
that has made the law?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 02:53 (Ref:682494)   #38
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It's the Canadian govt... but it's no different than what's already in the UK and France, and will be in all of Europe in 2005. Will F1 move out of its European races too?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 05:33 (Ref:682534)   #39
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie has confirmed it and it will be ratified by the FIA in October
Old 8 Aug 2003, 06:15 (Ref:682545)   #40
snowball
Rookie

snowball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Canadian Grand Prix in 2004 !

Normand Legault, director general of the Canadian Grand Prix, announced late on Thursday in a press conference that the Canadian Grand Prix will not be part of the 2004 Formula One Calendar.

Legault received a letter from the FOM (Formula One Management) indicating that the Canadian event will not be back in 2004. The reasons for the cancellation of the very popular Canadian venue are related to the Canadian laws against tobacco advertising that are supposed to be effective by October 2003.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:03 (Ref:682557)   #41
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No surprise: being aware that F1 lives on tobacco ads, it's impossible to say "we want F1" and " we ban tobacco ads" at the same time.
Unless you do like belgian politicians, stating there is a "vital nationa interest" on the GP, and permitting an exception.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:18 (Ref:682560)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
merged
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:29 (Ref:682570)   #43
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a total disgrace. Austria, Belgium, Canada. Who next. I am really starting to get sick of losing traditional races over the same boring reason....sigh
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:37 (Ref:682576)   #44
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its very hot here,and I get up and read this news on teletext.Very difficult to coment without foul language!
For the record there will be no tobacco advertising anywhere in the civilised world after 2006.If this nonsense continues don't bother planning to visit Hungary or Monza in 2005,or anywhere in Europe bar Monaco,in 2006.
Al F1 fans pray for the early death of those responsible for this decision.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:56 (Ref:682588)   #45
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all Canadian fans of F1: I am genuinely sorry that Bernie has decided to deprive you of Formula One. I know how distraught I'd feel if (or even when?) Bernie removed the British Grand Prix from me and took away the thrill of a live race. And over such a trivial matter too!

I really hope you get it back in the future. If it's any consolation, when I finally get round to overthrowing Max Mosley and become FIA President, you will have it back! And Bernie won't be able to argue with me either!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:05 (Ref:682594)   #46
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not just people tobacco is killing is it

I have to much bile to vent for the powers that be in F1 that I'd be best advised to keep my mouth shut
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:10 (Ref:682597)   #47
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that , as most GP are held in Europe, 2006 should become a reference year for all the countries involved in F1 races.
I mean that it wouldn't be so bad for countries like Canada etc, if they granted an authorisation "ad interim" up to 2006.
By that year(considering the central role of Europe) presumably F1 will have to have fitted to the new rules, and found new sponsorship sources, in order to both respect law and survive. Therefore tobacco bans might get effective where stated by local governments, without putting Gp at risk of dump
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:16 (Ref:682600)   #48
miramar
Rookie

miramar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from barcelona, with a track montmelo that we -catalan or spaniards- hate as the rest of the world, my deeplest condolesce to all canadians fans to lose the geat and wonderful canadian gp
in a sad day of august, f1 fans all over the word are in pain.
ooooh mont-real just reminds of my favourite track mont-juic gone for political reasons.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:18 (Ref:682602)   #49
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's a shame .. 18 races .. not anymore ...

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Aug 2003, 09:08 (Ref:682636)   #50
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yet again, a great track goes for stupid political reasons. The thing is, the non-tobacco liveries, when done smartly (such as 'Look Alike' and 'Be On Edge' attract more attention than the logos usually do. This is just another example of corporate and Governemtn stupidity removing one of the best races F1 had.