Old 17 Sep 2003, 05:38 (Ref:721453)   #26
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
However, I cannot see JV lowering himself to this anyway - and BAR know it.
Well exactly. Judgeing by the way JV has been treated by the team this year they might just decide to go about picking their driver this way because they know JV has more pride than to subject himself to such a farce and in my opinion the cheapening of F1 as a presigous sport.

If this is the way F1 is heading then I'll be glad Jacques is leaving. God this is so pathetic. Shows like American Idol and Fame Acadamy are so lame it makes me want to puke. To think F1 will indulge in this reality show retardedness similarly makes me ill...jessums keep your dignity BAR, or at least focus on buliding next years car than stageing some silly reality show. What's next "F1 Big Brother" where all the drivers are shacked up in an apartment over the break with Bernie watching over them, and those who are voted out don't get to drive next year??? Jessums this is sad.

Last edited by TeddyG; 17 Sep 2003 at 05:39.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 09:10 (Ref:721596)   #27
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Remember, F1 is about recognition. Its not some exculsive club that only the fortunate can observe. F1 needs fans. If BAR can bring it into the households of millions on a level that most can understand and in some ways relate to, how can that be bad?
If they want to do that there must be other ways. Fair enough, if they want to televise the tests they would normally do in private then there's no problem. That would show what really happens in the off-season.

The sticking point for me is the 'Fame Academy' bit. Panels deciding who goes through etc, etc. It maybe okay for some kid who's shown up to an audition and might have a chance of a bit of fame, but what about drivers who've spent ten years crawling up the motorsport ladder.

If they're going to anything like that at least do it more like Pop Idol and get Eddie Irvine as the Simon Cowell of the show.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 09:56 (Ref:721631)   #28
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well JV has quickly voiced his opinion on the matter:

http://www.planetf1.com/Home/story_13025.shtml

"Formula 1 is supposed to be a sport," he told the Press Association.

Nor was Villeneuve impressed with Richards suggesting that, if he was to keep his place at BAR, he would need to change his attitude.

"Jacques is not out of the equation but we have all told him it will take significant changes of attitude to convince us that he is the driver we need in our team," the BAR boss said.

Villeneuve, who was on track during all three days of the recent Monza test, setting the BAR record for the most mileage completed in a single day in the process, responded by saying: "I have never worked so hard in my life. If my attitude is a problem then there is no attitude change that could convince David."

So true Jacques, so true.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 10:31 (Ref:721645)   #29
daniel27
Rookie

daniel27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG

Nor was Villeneuve impressed with Richards suggesting that, if he was to keep his place at BAR, he would need to change his attitude.

"Jacques is not out of the equation but we have all told him it will take significant changes of attitude to convince us that he is the driver we need in our team," the BAR boss said.

Villeneuve, who was on track during all three days of the recent Monza test, setting the BAR record for the most mileage completed in a single day in the process, responded by saying: "I have never worked so hard in my life. If my attitude is a problem then there is no attitude change that could convince David."

Thank god Villeneuve finally told Richards where to shove it. Villeneuve has effectively taken himself out of the running for the BAR seat with these statements and quite frankly I think it's the best thing he's ever done. In fact I think he should quit now...
Old 17 Sep 2003, 10:43 (Ref:721650)   #30
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Villeneuve, who was on track during all three days of the recent Monza test, setting the BAR record for the most mileage completed in a single day in the process,
Could it be a case of too little too late?
Quote:
Villeneuve responded by saying: "I have never worked so hard in my life. If my attitude is a problem then there is no attitude change that could convince David."
Statements like that sums up the attitude problem we are talking about!

He's (he claims) fighting to keep his seat but taking cheap shots at the guy making the decision? Jacques does'nt want to race again, and instead of just retiring like others he wants someone to blame.

I hope he takes a mirror with him.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 10:48 (Ref:721651)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole "Fame Academy" angle is just a bit of PR spin.

But having a shoot-out for the drive isn't unusual.

Back at the end of 95 I recall Ferrari did something similar with (I think) Pierluigi Martini, Gianni Morbidelli and Nicola Larini.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:02 (Ref:721722)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Back at the end of 95 I recall Ferrari did something similar with (I think) Pierluigi Martini, Gianni Morbidelli and Nicola Larini.
and then they signed Irvine!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:18 (Ref:721741)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still, we all make mistakes.....
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:20 (Ref:721744)   #34
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This shoot-out for a drive is not bad for young talents who need all the publicity they can get, but Villeneuve is an ex WDC. I really hope he does not take part in this, because he does not need to prove anything. I never thought that he is or ever was on par with TGF or even Mika, but he sure has a lot of racecraft in him. It would be a shame to see him go, but that is still better than taking part in a driving Fame Academy
Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:25 (Ref:721837)   #35
daniel27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Could it be a case of too little too late?
Statements like that sums up the attitude problem we are talking about!

He's (he claims) fighting to keep his seat but taking cheap shots at the guy making the decision? Jacques does'nt want to race again, and instead of just retiring like others he wants someone to blame.

I hope he takes a mirror with him.
Come now, tell me whom among us is taking cheap shots.

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to kick a man when he's down? I'm sure she's proud.

Anyway...it seems that we have a case of pot calling kettle ...actually no that's not quite true is it because Villeneuve isn't taking cheap shots. Cheap shots are 1) asking your #1 driver to be a apart of F1 fame academy 2) Claiming that Villeneuve's salary affects BAR's budget when it does not as exposed by Villeneuve's management this year 3)Lying to the press about JV turning down an offer to return to CART without ever tabling said offer 4) Calling Jenson Button the team's future WDC when a) Villeneuve has already won it and b) Button has yet to stand on a podium. I could go on but I doubt your even reading this...(the truth is I doubt you read anything related to Villeneuve, on this board or anywhere else, which gives a plausible and may I say flattering excuse for your ignorance on the matter.)Anyway, the point is that Villeneuve isn't taking cheap shots he is in fact responding to them.

To be honest it sounds to me like you are the one with an attitude problem, and a personality disorder to boot. What else explains such malevolence that would cause you to spend hour upon hour of your time on somebody you claim to despise. Why on earth do you hate anyone you have never met? I needn't tell you my dear fellow that this is a gross misappropriation of your time. However, that being said it is afterall your time though so please by all means continue, it is good sport shooting down such hate-fueled criticisms.

No hard feelings okay.

Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:721843)   #36
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My spider sense detects a bat swinging this way!
I must hurry and make the escape! *makes the escape*
Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:35 (Ref:721852)   #37
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is ITV going to screen it live as a fly-on-the-wall show? With all the hype, a la Fame Academy?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:55 (Ref:721878)   #38
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daniel27 - nice ranting! I hope the nurse has arrived with your medication now. Just because some people think that Jacques was unwise to run down his team-mate and play mind games with all-comers (rather than let the car do the talking) doesn't mean they hate him. Acting the pratt isn't a crime - it's quite endearing in a way, and jolly good fun for us fans.

Most sane and balanced observers would have to concede that his speed relative to Button has been roughly equal - considering his extravagant salary, contract and ego demands I wouldn't put him down as a natural must-have in the team. Granted, the Fame academy shoot out is a bit of an insult, but there again why would a former world champ have any worries about proving his speed vs any newcomer? Oh yea - apart from the fact that he has just been made to look less than unbeatable by a youngster!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 14:21 (Ref:721897)   #39
daniel27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Daniel27 - nice ranting! I hope the nurse has arrived with your medication now. Just because some people think that Jacques was unwise to run down his team-mate and play mind games with all-comers (rather than let the car do the talking) doesn't mean they hate him. Acting the pratt isn't a crime - it's quite endearing in a way, and jolly good fun for us fans.

Most sane and balanced observers would have to concede that his speed relative to Button has been roughly equal - considering his extravagant salary, contract and ego demands I wouldn't put him down as a natural must-have in the team. Granted, the Fame academy shoot out is a bit of an insult, but there again why would a former world champ have any worries about proving his speed vs any newcomer? Oh yea - apart from the fact that he has just been made to look less than unbeatable by a youngster!
I'll agree that JV was unwise to say such things about Button and the fact that JV apologised to Button tends to make me believe he thought they were out of line as well. Put into context though it's plain that those comments were directed at Richards rather than Button.

Mind games with who? Please provide some evidence, Hill, Panis and HHF and yes even Button have all claimed that they worked/work well with JV.

I would also concede that if forced to make an evaluation between the two drivers I would have to say they have been more or less equal. Is that bad I ask you, that JV has his worst year ever and yet by your very own admission he is still equal to his teammate. What if he has a good year or a stellar one will he blow Button into the weeds?

If indeed the fame academy were merely a driver shoot-out then I would still say it is a disgrace; however, what they are proposing if you had bothered to read Richard's ramblings is something altogether different with skills in PR, make-up enhancement and god knows what else.

Anyway while it's been grand talking and disciplining some of you I see my nurse has just arrived so I'm off.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 14:37 (Ref:721919)   #40
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy sedation Daniel!

Here's hoping for the straight fight with both cars finishing that we have been waiting for all season.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 16:14 (Ref:722023)   #41
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If David Richards wants BAR to participate in a reality show why doesn't he do one based around building a really good racing car. He could call the show "FORMULA ONE"!!!

Last edited by enemy-ace; 17 Sep 2003 at 16:14.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 Sep 2003, 16:47 (Ref:722066)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by daniel27
Why on earth do you hate anyone you have never met?
Why on earth do you like someone you have never met?

If this so called Fame AAcademy thing comes to fruition, I can see Jacques just walking away from it. Not because he'd be thrashed but the sheer humiliation of an ex-world champion being told to prove himself when he clearly has nothing to prove!

OK he was ridiculously awful on occasions in 1997 in what was far and away the best car, but he thrashed Frentzen in the same car! And that debut pole!

I think DR should just either boot him or keep him, rather than a shoot-out.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 17:07 (Ref:722084)   #43
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

Surely Button would be used as a judge, or a standard?
And he would choose...Louise. Nice teammate
Old 17 Sep 2003, 18:15 (Ref:722158)   #44
Stampeder
Rookie

Stampeder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
If David Richards wants BAR to participate in a reality show why doesn't he do one based around building a really good racing car. He could call the show "FORMULA ONE"!!!
Here here How true!!!

JV said it best "this is a sport"

Richards to watch reality TV on your own personal time.

Oh please tell me this is just a bad dream....F1 is a ******* soap opera...CART is in turmoil...and the IRL is the IRL.

Have the old f1 season's been re-realeased on DVD yet or do I have to watch NASCAR....AAAAAHHH
Old 17 Sep 2003, 19:21 (Ref:722236)   #45
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old F1 seasons getting released on DVD?
Not in this century if Bernie and Co. have anything to say about it.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 19:26 (Ref:722240)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wouldn't want anyone to know what F1 used to be like now would we?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 19:28 (Ref:722244)   #47
daniel27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Why on earth do you like someone you have never met?

I have met Jacques, no wait a sec...I haven't ...Nurse!!

I think it'd be a pretty **** poor way to go about life hating everyone until you met them. I just don't understand people who dwell on negativity so much.
[/i]

If this so called Fame AAcademy thing comes to fruition, I can see Jacques just walking away from it. Not because he'd be thrashed but the sheer humiliation of an ex-world champion being told to prove himself when he clearly has nothing to prove!
[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more
[/i]

OK he was ridiculously awful on occasions in 1997 in what was far and away the best car, but he thrashed Frentzen in the same car! And that debut pole!

I think DR should just either boot him or keep him, rather than a shoot-out.
[/QUOTE]
Yes the tirade must stop but I think it's in Richards best interest to get JV to quit. I fear JV will never give him the pleasure.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:56 (Ref:723166)   #48
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
My spider sense detects a bat swinging this way!
I must hurry and make the escape! *makes the escape*
Rookie mistake obviously

Daniel27, I will come back to your other JV worship arguments later, but first I have to put the moderator cap on.

We dont attack other posters here, just their arguments. We dont get personal either. It does'nt bother me, I can assure you I'll give out 10x what I get. When you've been here more than 5 minutes, you'll know that.

As for spending my time reading this (yes I read your entire post), I have to. Part of the job I'm afraid, have to read it all, even the garbage posts. In fact especially the garbage posts.

Speaking of time wasting, how long did YOU spend WRITING that post?

If you lie or dislike a driver, your free to do so, and so am I. You can agrue your points and mine, agree with me, disagree with me, or even agree to disagree with me. But we do not attack the poster, just the post. I assume you read the FAQ and forum rules when you joined?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:08 (Ref:723359)   #49
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Let me get this right:

1. BAR told Jacques, that he wasn't working hard enough.
Jacques answers: But I'm already working as hard as I can.

2. BAR says: You claim to be just as fast as you were 6 years ago? We'll give you the chance to prove it!
Jacques anwers: I don't want to do that.

Sounds to me as if Jacques believes he isn't good enough.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:23 (Ref:723382)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is just Villeneuve responding to critism that he doesn't work hard by pointing out that at the moment he is. Nothing more to it than that. There is nothing else you can read into it other than the face value stuff.

He clearly thinks himself good enough. He is in Autosport today saying it'll be a shame to retire before he loses his speed.