Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Nov 2003, 18:50 (Ref:796320)   #26
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety requirements for bikes are obviously less than for cars-don't mention Trucks! This mainly involves the protection of the crowd,as there is virtually no crowd these days perhaps these could be used for club racing with no paying spectators allowed?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 19:22 (Ref:796342)   #27
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Carnaby not at a different venue now - "Carnaby 2"
Old 27 Nov 2003, 19:56 (Ref:796368)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
Don't think Carnby was used for car racing (its not in "Motor Racing Circuit in England, Now and Then...).
Which is a really good book, had a look at in the local Waterstones a few weeks back.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 20:15 (Ref:796385)   #29
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
Is Carnaby not at a different venue now - "Carnaby 2"
So it is! I'd always assumed that 'Carnaby 2' was just a different format at the same circuit, not a totally different one!
Old 27 Nov 2003, 21:27 (Ref:796447)   #30
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
I'm waiting for the follow up "Circuits of Wales, Scotland, Ireland, "other bits of these isles"" which I know far less about. I guess that's more to Wales than Pembrey and the superb Anglesey (and Llandow) but I don't know it.

Why do bikers get all the good circuits!
Old 27 Nov 2003, 23:35 (Ref:796529)   #31
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carnaby was used for car racing... quite a bit.

I can say that I've just had a new book comissioned, some of you may have twigged from some recent posts I've made in here, that its about abandoned race circuits... but not all in the UK.

Greame - yes there is much more to wales than that.

My publisher is interested in peoples thoughts on a complete guide to every permanent (ie not round the houses once in 1899) venue in the UK with proper then and now photos... is this something you would like to see?

What about other european countries?

this next book will be very ten tenths led, with most of the pics coming from ten tenthers, and a lot research done by people here.. so PM me with suggestions
Old 28 Nov 2003, 00:11 (Ref:796545)   #32
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elvington & Carnaby 2 both still used for car sprinting: events organised by Auto 66 Club. Competed there myself twice this year. carnaby 2 hosted the national sprint leaders final this year for what it was worth but that's another story, cracking layout just under 2 miles in length very fast. Oulton gearing just about spot on. You should try it sometime!!!!!!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 03:19 (Ref:796627)   #33
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC the Moped Mayhem boys use Elvington for their 50cc madness.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 07:33 (Ref:796770)   #34
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Put me down for a copy of your book...
Old 28 Nov 2003, 08:19 (Ref:796797)   #35
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then there's Ibsley, and Boreham, Blandford and I'm sure a few more. Charterhall and Winfield in Scotland and, in the Emreald Isle, Bishopscourt - now used for non-MSA races and bikes - Long Kesh (better known in recent years as a prison site), Cluntoe, Cranfield and on the roads, Dundrod, Dunboyne, Wicklow, the Curragh, Rathdrum, and street races at Dun Laoghaire, Ballyjamesduff and Dundalk.
That's just the post-war stuff. I'm sure there are a few more.....
Old 28 Nov 2003, 08:43 (Ref:796826)   #36
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re,Wales:Llandow,Pembrey & Anglesey(Ty Croes)are the only circuits used for cars since I discovered the sport.I believe Fairwood(Swansea Airport) was used in the early 50s.
We are quite well provided for nowdays when one conciders that Scotland & Wales had no racing before WW2 & England had only one circuit (Brooklands) before 1934.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 08:46 (Ref:796834)   #37
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Non-MSA races???
Old 28 Nov 2003, 09:32 (Ref:796859)   #38
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Carnaby's used for sprinting as well
Old 28 Nov 2003, 09:41 (Ref:796862)   #39
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
And Carnaby's used for sprinting as well
Carnaby 2 - Carnaby is derelict (couldn't they have come up with another name to save confusion...)
Old 28 Nov 2003, 09:57 (Ref:796872)   #40
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This new book sounds like a cross between the one I got for Christmas last year (forgot name) and that good website - http://www.racingcircuits.net/index.html - is the other book now out of print ?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:13 (Ref:796885)   #41
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Graeme,
Run to a mixture of hot rod and 'normal' rules. Not illegal but certainly inadvisable.....
I've just remembered another circuit. As far as I can recall from old books, Bristol Airport (Lulsgate) was used for a couple of 500cc events immediately after the war. So, too, was Newtownards Airfield over here, and there was a superb road circuit at Ballyclare which would almost pass a track inspection now.....
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:27 (Ref:796899)   #42
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos - racing circuits net is a mega site as is e-tracks. The other book I feel was not quite what it could have been and lifted heavily from racing circuits 1955.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:34 (Ref:796905)   #43
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Getting off topic (and rather heretical) I've never quite understood why I can't hire an airfield for a day, going along with a few mates (and an ambulance and some marshals, etc) and run a non-MSA race!!! I do know of car clubs which run their own non-MSA sprints...

Richard - stop tempting me with tales of great lost race circuits - I will come over to (N) Ireland next year!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:57 (Ref:796928)   #44
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Because its illegal in numerous ways - no planning permission for the venue - no third party insurance - breach of contract with the venue - what other reasons can we come up with ?

Last edited by josvandeperre; 28 Nov 2003 at 10:58.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 11:51 (Ref:796979)   #45
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to ask the same question of Richard about non-MSA meeting - what sort of classes are they? do they only run saloons? Ive not heard of anything like that in the UK -However I do run non-MSA races in my kart, there are a few clubs I know such as Matchams and Reading.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 12:03 (Ref:796987)   #46
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
I think it is possible for a club that is MSA registered to run its own private meetings for its own members - sprints etc - these are then covered by the MSA insurance
Old 28 Nov 2003, 17:11 (Ref:797269)   #47
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with ss collins that the book is a bit of a disappointment. Not 100%(as you will see from the list below) and lots of questions unanswered. I think the following is a complete list of non-road courses no longer in use-
Aintree, Beveridge Park (500cc F3 only),Boreham, Bishopscourt, Blandford, Brooklands,Brough (500cc F3 only)
Catterick, Cranfield, Charterhall, Crimond, Crystal Palace, Debden, Davidstow, Dunholme (500cc F3 only)
Edzell, Elvington, Evanton,Fairwood, Fersfield, Full Sutton, Gamston, Gransden lodge, Ibsley,Jurby IOM, ingliston, lulsgate, Longridge, Linton on Ouse, Llandow, Long Kesh, Longridge, Newtonards, Oliver's Mount (500cc F3 only)
Ouston, Rufforth, Tholthorpe, Thornaby, Turnberry, Winfield, Whitchurch
Almost all were airfields, the exceptions being Aintree, Brooklands, Blandford, Beveridge Park, Crystal Palace, Longridge, Ingliston, Oliver's Mount
Can anybody add any more??

I really don't think Carnaby has been used for car races despite its inclusion on www.racingcircuits.net but I'd be most interested in any evidence to the contrary.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 17:23 (Ref:797290)   #48
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
I think you have covered them all RAP, bar Birmingham,the only mainland public road circuit.I have never heard of Tholthorpe,where exactly is that? Also Beveridge Park,I had seen the name but know nothing about it.

Last edited by Rob29; 28 Nov 2003 at 17:25.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 17:42 (Ref:797307)   #49
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob29
Tholthorpe was in Yorkshire and one meeting was held by Yorks Sports Car Club in 1947. The meeting was members only appartently and was unadvertised but had 159 entries and "several hundred" spectators. The racing car scratch race was won by Slater (ERA) from B uck (2.3 Bug) The event is reported briefly in Motor Sport Nov 47

Beveridge Park was IN Kirkcaldy, Fife. One meeting for 500s was held each year from 52 to 54 > Ithink it was used much more by the 'bike boys. As the name suggest it was held in the park, rather like Phoenix Park I imagine. The photos show lots of unprotected trees!

I have also heard of a circuit called Langar in 1949 but I'm not sure if racing actually took place or it was just a proposal. Anyone know?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 23:19 (Ref:797604)   #50
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RAP Carnaby was without doubt used for car racing,