Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:43 (Ref:855687)   #26
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
So which way is your racing career heading, OWRS, or the IRL?

Thats great jj, good luck, thats something I'd like to try before I get to old!
Hmmm...I wonder...

You can check out my website if you'd like. Its www.jeremyspiering.com . I'll updating it tonight with a new article about this whole OWRS vs. IRL thing. Nothing all of you here would need to read of course. The website is one of my weak attempts at looking for sponsorship. I'd like to be doing the Z-tec USF2000 series at best next year, or Formula Dodge at worst. The winner of the SCCA Formula Russell Series is probably going to get a free ride next year in USF2000, although that hasn't officially been announced yet
Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:47 (Ref:855692)   #27
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best of luck in your racing carrer JJ
Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:48 (Ref:855693)   #28
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Odd - I'm sure I've read an article saying that they had worked on the run-off areas as well.

(edit) Here's the info I read a while back (axed off Jayski's, who in turn got it from Sears Point);
Hmmm...I dunno, T1 I'm almost positive they didn't push the wall back, it'd be hard to do with the stands there, and they aren't moveable stands, they are built into the ground. I knew they had leveled it off some, so maybe they just meant its safter there now. As for T6, yes, that has a wider runoff now, I knew that, but its not one of the problem areas, as its a constant radius long medium speed corner. You go into it slowly, and slowly accelerate all throughout it. The esses and T11 are the problem spots. During the Russell Graduate Runoffs in December, I saw 4 cars wreck pretty badly in the tire barriers in the esses, its just the only place to go if you go off there. And of course you'd be going a lot faster in a Champcar. Either way, its not for us to decide what tracks are safe and not for different series. So I'll leave that up to the pros.

Heres a onboard lap of Infineon just taken a little over a month ago in December. http://www.jeremyspiering.com/galler...lap_finals.avi

Last edited by jjspierx; 29 Jan 2004 at 21:50.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:855725)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JJ, thats a great web site you have.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure, and an eye on your career. It looks like you've really got it together!

After seeing how serious you are about getting to CART though, I find it rather odd that you didn't see a need for more American drivers there, when I brought that up. You may find yourself in a position, when your time comes, where you will need CART to support American drivers, but if there past support for Americans is any indicator, you may not get a fair shake.

I hope they give you a shot when the time comes, because that series could use you...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Jan 2004, 23:06 (Ref:855744)   #30
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
I hope so as well...I have no doubt that if I can get the money together and prove my worth, that a series like OWRS/CART would look at me. I think the reason there are so few drivers in CART, was not that they didn't want American drivers, but rather that there were more non-American drivers to chooser from at the time. I think that is definitely changing with the huge talent pool of American drivers that we currently have, but 4-5 years ago, it wasn't like that.

Anyways, now that you know more about me, its probably more obvious why I was supporting OWRS, because if there was no OWRS, my lifelong dream of becoming a Champcar driver, would have diminished. I'd probably have decided to work towards American Lemans, Trans-Am or any other road racing series, before I would take a shot at IRL(not that if I had the option of doing that I would turn it down ) Otherwise, my only option at TOP level open-wheel road racing would be F1, and as if it wouldn't be hard enough to make it into F1, it would be even MORE impossible without using Champcar as a feeder into it. Unless of course I moved over there and went through the F1600, F2000, FR, F3, F3000 systen. But thats not gonna happen as I'm poor and I have to work full time and I still don't quite make enough money to fund myself at the lowest level of Open-wheel racing. Phew....ok, I'm done talking now.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 23:24 (Ref:855759)   #31
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now F1 can really use an American driver!

Listen, don't think that we're anti-CART over here. Most, if not all watch both series, and I was (am!) a frequent poster there. Its just that lately, with all that was going on, they didn't really seem in the mood to hear from anyone even remotely pro-IRL! So I'm laying abit low for now.

Just a question, do you watch the IRL at all? Its really pretty good in my opinion, and I hope you'd consider giving it a shot. And keep coming back to this forum, where all opinions are welcome!

I'll be keeping up with your career. Best of Luck!

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jan 2004, 00:40 (Ref:855829)   #32
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Yes, I watch ALL forms of racing except drag racing. I feel it is very important to know all that I can about what is going on in the world of motorsports. American series, European series, or whatever else. I like to make sure I know all the new drivers, teams, tracks. I like to understand the business side of the sport as well. I keep up on all the lower-level feeder series, even the non-televised ones I read up on as much as possible. As far as watching the IRL, well I watch it about as much as Nascar. If a race is on, and I see it, I will watch it, but I won't necessarily make sure I'm around when its on, and I won't necessarily sit down for 2-2.5 hours and watch the whole thing, in fact rarely. The only two series in which I always watch, are CART and F1. I watch racing for 2 reasons. The main reason, is because as I stated before, I feel it is important to know and understand as much as possible about all forms of motorsport. The second reason, although not as important to me, is I watch racing for the pure enjoyment. When it comes to CART and F1 the enjoyment factor is very high, so I'm watching something that I really love and enjoy. With IRL and Nascar, its not that I don't enjoy it, but I just enjoy it less, but I still feel obligated to watch some of it when I can. Make sense?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 00:53 (Ref:855843)   #33
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Absolutely makes sense jj! Learn as much as you can, while you can, it will only help you!

By the way, I'm also a huge F1 fan, a real tifosi, and I do go to the USGP every year. That is my #1 series.

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:16 (Ref:855972)   #34
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely makes sense jj! Learn as much as you can, while you can, it will only help you!

By the way, I'm also a huge F1 fan, a real tifosi, and I do go to the USGP every year. That is my #1 series.
I know my observation is rather pedantic, but as I have seen several people making the same mistake in different Ten Tenths fora I will post it...

Assuming you are a man, you cannot be a "tifosi", but a tifoso. This is the singular form - tifosi is the plural for it.

A girl would be tifosa - and several girls, tifose.

Otherwise, GP Racer you are right: if you like Formula 1 a lot - or anything else, by the way - you can call yourself a tifoso. Tifoso (or tifosa) does not mean "Ferrari supporter", as some idiots in the press believe. It means "passionate, dedicated fan" - and it is applicable to any subject, particularly sports.

Just trying to help,

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza; 30 Jan 2004 at 05:17.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:56 (Ref:855984)   #35
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Well its a good thing thats cleared, I didn't even know what it meant until just now, I simply accepted it.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:45 (Ref:856031)   #36
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Ferrarista?

JJ - goodluck man! Do you read any motorsport magazines? Apart from here and websites thats one of the best ways to stay in touch with the rest of the motorsport world imho.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:15 (Ref:856438)   #37
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Yes Muzza, I found your observation very "pedantic"!

How are you brother Muzza, long time no hear! I see you moved to sunny CA, very nice! I'm guessing you may not make the USGP this year, its abit of a trip for you now.

As an Italian-American, I do know my masculine-feminen-plurals when speaking what little Italian I remember, its just that "tifosi" seems to be taken(at least here)as the proper pronunciation of a rabid Ferrari fan. So there you have it, my lame excuse!

What are your racing plans this year Muzza?

Cheers

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:49 (Ref:856594)   #38
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
What about Ferrarista?

JJ - goodluck man! Do you read any motorsport magazines? Apart from here and websites thats one of the best ways to stay in touch with the rest of the motorsport world imho.
Yeah, I have a subscription to Kartsport, I think its called, that I got for free by becoming a member of Pats Acres, my local kart track. I also get Racer Magazine, and I occasionally pick up F1 Magazine.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:858128)   #39
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, GP Racer!

Very, very nice to hear from you! (and I am glad you did not get mad with my pedantism...)

Yep, I moved to California as planned, but my life is still changing a lot and will continue to do so for a while - and this is the reason for my disappearance from Ten Tenths.

It is only now, with the closure of the IRL versus OWRS dispute over CART that I can make some plans for 2004. I will do Long Beach, Laguna Seca and Portland for sure, plus the Petit Le Mans. The rest is still pretty much open... I will send you a private message tomorrow.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:33 (Ref:858164)   #40
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As an Italian-American, I do know my masculine-feminen-plurals when speaking what little Italian I remember, its just that "tifosi" seems to be taken(at least here)as the proper pronunciation of a rabid Ferrari fan. So there you have it, my lame excuse!

Cheers
I'm familliar with the endings, too, amici (plural)...but it comes from years of listening to Verdi and Puccini
Usually, when I hear "Tifosi", they are referring to the Ferarri fans(plural)....but I don't think too many people other than us know this
Hey, GP, does that make us all sound "elitist"? LOL
Oh,jj...nice website. I was there when I checked out your article. Good luck with your racing!

Last edited by MLM; 31 Jan 2004 at 22:34.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:35 (Ref:858168)   #41
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's great to "hear your voice" again, Muzza!
You have a tendency to "disappear" !!!