Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2004, 08:47 (Ref:983529)   #26
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Although Bruni hasn't been spectaculr and doesn't look like a superstar in the making, he's certainly been mroe than competant, and can do a better job than any of the other drivers being linked - Jos is a has-been, Albers flopped badly alongside Webber in F3000, Ho Pin is nowhere near ready, and Coronel has reached his level.
Jos a hasbeen? I don't agree with you on that. Nigel Mansell was a hasbeen, came back and still kicked a**. I'm not saying Jos has the same level as Nigel, but it's just too early to say Jos is a hasbeen. If he gets his change at a decent team, he would perform better as some current f1 drivers, for sure. Same counts for Jacques, who is also still in the picture. About the Dutch sponsors: they all seem a little too opportunistic, in their attempt to get a Dutch driver in the seat. We've seen the strange, shameless move by Har Muermans at Peter Sauber before. I hope the intentions are good and it's not for their own ego. If this behaviour is typical Dutch? I certainly hope not. I think German sponsors would support German drivers too and the same behaviour would count for Italian, Britain and French captains of industry.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:51 (Ref:983616)   #27
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly not in the UK, British companies are generally not remotely interested in British drivers or motorsport in general, as any aspiring young driver searching for funds will tell you. The idea of a UK company placing a British driver with a team, in the same way that Trust did with Jos, is totally alien.

Even B&H has lost interest in the importance of a British driver, as the current Jordan line up now shows.
Old 26 May 2004, 12:52 (Ref:983809)   #28
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by minirda
Nigel Mansell was a hasbeen, came back and still kicked a**.
I assume you are talking about Mansells Williams return, rather than his Mclaren races?

It would be a shame if Bruni got kicked out, he's been unlucky in the races so far with reliabilty problems. Hope Leinders doesn't replace him, as he has appeared slower than even Baumgartner in his tests so far... The problem is, which good drivers are going to want to drive the Minardi? They'd rather get a test seat with a top, or even midfield manufacturer-backed team...

Last edited by Ryo28; 26 May 2004 at 12:53.
Old 26 May 2004, 20:17 (Ref:984346)   #29
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Jos is a has-been, Albers flopped badly alongside Webber in F3000, Ho Pin is nowhere near ready, and Coronel has reached his level.
I don't quite agree with this.

Albers did perform bad compared to Webber in F3000. However, that was Albers 4th year racing in cars, opposed to Webber's 7th year. So far, Norbert Haug does not yet seem to think his chances in F1 are over.

Coronel may or may not have reached his top level when he won Formula Nippon in 1999.
He started up a program to sell shares to get him into F1, but it failed.
So I think there's no way to know what his top level really is/was.

---

Maybe Albers is not ready for F1.
And you could say Verstappen and Coronel are too old by now.

But if you make it sound as if Albers and Coronel have *shown* that they are not good enough for F1, I think you are ignoring the facts.
Old 27 May 2004, 10:37 (Ref:984932)   #30
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch chap
Yeah, right. Typical Dutch behaviour. Like Shell demanding Ferrari to give MS a seat.
I bet there was some serious arm twisting there
Old 27 May 2004, 21:00 (Ref:985460)   #31
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I understand Spud. I was actually responding to Eddie who seems to have never heard the phrase 'money talks'.
You really suppose Shell had to convince Ferrari to hire Schumacher???? Damn.....
Old 27 May 2004, 21:02 (Ref:985464)   #32
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I bet there was some serious arm twisting there
Oh right, you already told him

Having said that, you could accuse Shell of being Dutch anyway
Old 27 May 2004, 21:13 (Ref:985470)   #33
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by minirda
[B]Jos a hasbeen? I don't agree with you on that. Nigel Mansell was a hasbeen, came back and still kicked a**. I'm not saying Jos has the same level as Nigel, but it's just too early to say Jos is a hasbeen.
Too early? How much time does one need to make a fair assessement. Jos came in as a hype, but the hype was over and done with after 10 races in F1. Benetton was done with him, and so was every other topteam that was trying to lure him on about a year prior to that. And still he didn't do anything special in 107 GP's. Took some 17 points, and in 5 or so races he did shine, but surely, that is nowhere enough to even suggest that Jos now -at 32- ahould have a future in F1.

Quote:
If he gets his change at a decent team, he would perform better as some current f1 drivers, for sure.
Highly doubt it. Sure, there is no way we can mathematically compare, but cmon, in this field, who isn't a better proposition than Jos, counting all factors? Perhaps Baumgartner is, but even Bruni only needed less fuel and new tyres to match Jos' times, and Bruni hadn't even GP-experience. Your just a bit too much of a fan, but a driver who hasn't been convincing in 107 GP's probably isn't good enough. Mind you, after Suzuka 2001, he was pratically done in F1.

Quote:
Same counts for Jacques, who is also still in the picture.
But surely Jacques is no comparison to Jos. Jacques is simply a better and faster driver, hands down.

Quote:
About the Dutch sponsors: they all seem a little too opportunistic, in their attempt to get a Dutch driver in the seat. We've seen the strange, shameless move by Har Muermans at Peter Sauber before. I hope the intentions are good and it's not for their own ego. If this behaviour is typical Dutch? I certainly hope not.
Typical Dutch? Well, in a sense one could say: the sponsors have no shame. Muermans apperanly doesn't have any shame proposing what he proposed to Sauber. Apperantly Perridon doesn't have any shame, acting like he did in the first few months of 2004. Apperanly that Willux-guy doesn't have any shame, blurting out to the press that Bruni should be replaced by any driver, as long as he is Dutch. I don't know for you, but it looks like a partern here.

Quote:
I think German sponsors would support German drivers too and the same behaviour would count for Italian, Britain and French captains of industry.
I don't see any German sponsor running op to Peter Sauber asking him for a shootout. I don't see any Italian sponsor ruining all negotiations by not keeping his big mouth shut.

Money does a lot to a person, but it certainly doesn't make em any smarter.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:45 (Ref:985491)   #34
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You really suppose Shell had to convince Ferrari to hire Schumacher???? Damn.....
You seem so keen on Jos fan bashing that you missed it was tongue in cheeck.
Old 28 May 2004, 07:03 (Ref:985788)   #35
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
You seem so keen on Jos fan bashing that you missed it was tongue in cheeck.
Like Wrex...

A smiley could've helped.