Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Nov 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1156281)   #26
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clive,

if you are a committee member then you should be damned ashamed of how you speak to other forum users! I don't mind critisiscm or being slagged off but there is absolutely no need to use profanities.

You have just done more harm to the BMMC by your tone than all the whinging put together!

Also, for what it's worth I contribute regularly to the regional & national newsletters (In fact I was one of the original editors of Trackside for a while!)

Regards

Mark
Old 17 Nov 2004, 20:16 (Ref:1156324)   #27
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say I'm on Clives side on this one. I edited the Southern Region Newsleter a decade ago, & found it a contant struggle to get any input.
However, nowdays with things like this and other websites I reckon it's about time the BMMC or whatever it's called reinvented itself & did away with the regions & has 1 National Newsletter (say quarterly). Glad to see the stupid photo cards bit the dust.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1156538)   #28
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, since when has flipping been a profanity? what word were you thinking of?
I dont want a slanging match, I just want people to reflect on that the fact that there are people who care enough to get off their rear ends, and it seems you've sat down again, which is a shame, isn't it? and surely the insurance alone is worth £17.50 a year, isn't it?
Dave, thanks for your support, and I happen to agree with you re one club, one national newsletter that receives contributions form members and not just the committee always striving to fill it with topical and interesting articles.
OK. lets keep the debate going, but keep it cool (he tells himself!)
Clive
Old 18 Nov 2004, 06:13 (Ref:1156721)   #29
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark seems to give no credit for what the BMMC has achieved over the years. DougK talks of the BMMC's failure to get better circuit facilties. Has either Mark or Doug "been at the coalface" on these issues?

I have and for the past three or four years I have spent an enormous amount of my time on marshalling issues - with the MSA, the circuit owners, the Chief Marshals of all other marshalling groups and just about everyone and anyone who I think I can persuade to support the marshals' cause. We now have almost all those different sections of motor sport supporting our case and all acknowledge that the Marshals' Club still has a vital role to play in being the central voice on marshalling issues. The circuit owners have accepted a list of marshalling requirements and I believe we have now won their commitment to making the necessary improvements, some as part of normal maintenance, others may have to wait until time and funds are available.

Stephen Green has been one of the team of people who have supported me in my efforts and surely Mark and Doug can see the progress Stephen has made with the new owner of MSV circuits?

With our own policy we set the pattern for marshals' insurance and have negotiated better cover under MSA policies over the years, as well as helping members to get claims settled when loss adjusters are called in.

The Marshals' Club still represents some 70% of registered marshals, probably an even greater percentage in terms of days marshallled. No, we don't get everything right but we are still the best bet for an apolitical, unbiased voice on marshalling issues. Mark and Doug may choose to participate from "outside the tent" but that rather short changes those "inside the tent" who give so much of their time on a volunteer basis to fight for marshals' interests.

Mark's X grade may or may not be awarded by the MSA but he wouldn't have it at all if it had not been for the Training and Grading Scheme the Marshals' Club initiated and, even today, it is Marshals' Club people who are prime movers in any new training initiatives.

Anyone who is serious about marshalling should belong to the Marshals' Club, whatever allegiance he or she may have to other clubs, as well.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1156883)   #30
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MacGWC,

A few years back I complained to what was then BHL about potholes around a particular marshals post being dangerous. First I contacted someone at the BMMC (sorry can't remeber who it was but someone to do with H&S) and the club that I done most of my marshalling with at the time to see if they could assist and sort these problems out.... next meeting (a month later) still the same potholes exsisted. The following week i took the opportunity to contact the circuit manager direct who after a bit of explaining about the H&S issues agreed to get them filled in. They were by the next meeting. I contacted him again to say thanks and he then told me nobody else had spoken to him about it from the Club or BMMC - that disappointed me.

I have written to circuits complaining about the lack of facilities, i have spoken to the clubs about my concerns so I don't just sit on my ar**.

I'm am grateful to Stephen for what he is doing for marshals by working with MSV and respect him very much for that. JP is obviously interested in the marshals welfare, but what about the other circuits?

My own view in the past 10 years facilities and grattitude at the circuits I have attended have in the main got worse not better. I cannot comment on the changes to the MSV circuits because I haven't been to one this season.

If the BMMC has 70% of marshals in UK as members then like I say they are in a strong position to change things (via direct action if necc by boycotting meetings to get the views heard).

I have offered in the past to help where I can but never has that offer been taken up. I again offer to help if I can. (MSA, HQ is not far from where I work so I'm happy to go along anytime a represent marshals if there is any oppourtunities).

If things have really changed in the last two years since I have not been in the BMMC then sorry I apologise. I would be mroe than willing to join the BMMC again if I think things have changed and if I knew what the commitee are actually doing to address issues. As a member in the past I felt so far removed from the club - perhaps this was because of the remote location of Norfolk?!

I said the things I did to be constructive in terms of improving things and to explain why I personally gave up my membership.

Perhaps MacGWC you would like to have a chat with me? Feel free to PM.

Just a small comment flipping wasn't the word you used Clive!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1156898)   #31
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
George, Clive,

It's very obvious that you both have a strong belief in what you do for the BMMC.

Clive, my words against the newsletters are not intended to be an attack on those of you who strive to deliver an informative, entertaining product to the membership, although it does come accross that way. For that I apologise.

George, I appreciate the effort you put in for our cause but sometimes it does appear that you are the only one out there fighting for us.

You talk about being "At The Coalface" - I like to think I have been. Some time ago whilst a member of the North Region Committee I was invited to sit on a Steering Group Panel (At your house George) where we thrashed out some ideas in how to improve the Marshals "Lot".
That was around four years ago and unfortunately these ideas are still proving fruitless - not neccessarily the fault of the BMMC.

Without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet, it was my efforts that brought about the marshalling advert in race day programmes at Oulton & Anglesey and I also compiled an information/crib sheet for the commentary team to "Plug" the BMMC in their quieter moments.
I initiated business-style cards with "How To Marshal" and contact details for potential marshals to be distributed to all marshals posts at Oulton for when members of the public make enquireys.
Sadly, I don't think any of these initiatives are still in place.

I have helped to man the Club stand at the NEC for two years, but when asked to give feedback in order to improve for the following year, my thoughs were dismissed and I have not been asked back!
I have also given much radio airtime to the BMMC's cause over the last 12 years. Add to that, deputy editor for the Trackside Magazine in it's early days, and being a flag mentor - I like to think that I have made some positive moves on the Clubs' behalf. Plus I enjoyed doing so!
I also offered help in any way they saw fit to my region at the start of this year but no one bothered to respond!

One thing I used to do also as a committee member, was to telephone those who did not renew their membership to determine why. If the member had an issue with the Club, then we sorted it out - usually positively.

Now, because I have said that I wasn't going to renew for 2005 and stated a couple of issues that were important to me, I don't get asked "What's the probelm?", instead I get committee members telling me to stop ******* whinging.
I'm not sure that's a step in the right direction.

Now, because I am still passionate about my "Hobby" and despite my concerns about the Club, I have decided to continue my support as a member in 2005.

It would be nice though, if when I felt I had a problem, the BMMC were there for me.

Mark
Old 18 Nov 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1157073)   #32
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First, welcome back to Mark.

The ideas we discussed at my house three or four years ago formed the basis of the various presentations made since to the MSA, the ABMRC, the Circuit Owners and various others. There are times it has seemed like trying to trot through treacle but we are getting there on many of the issues that we believe drive marshals away from the sport. The questionnaires referred to in another topic will probably mean some delay in all our ideas being adopted but we hope to see some additional funds reasonably soon, directed towards the better recruitment, training and retention of marshals in all disciplines.

The more members we have, the stronger our voice will be and I say again, anyone who is serious about marshalling should belong to the Marshals' Club, whatever other club they belong to as well.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1157131)   #33
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George,

I have after reflection and reading Mark's comments decided to join the BMMC for this next year and see if I can notice any changes from when I was a member before.

My main reason for this is as a non-member I don't have any assocaition with the BMMC so how can I legimately express my views on the pluses and minuses of the club!

I also want to contribute and make a difference so it seems only fair to do things in the right way.

I have also sent you a PM!

Doug
Old 18 Nov 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1157218)   #34
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
Welcome back, Doug. I have replied to your PM.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 01:29 (Ref:1158907)   #35
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi peeps, seems i stirred something when i responded in the heat of the moment as like george i put a lot into the club, albeit mine is on a regional level, so if i caused offence then i unreservedly apologise publicly, but it is because i am passionate, as i now recognise you are too. thanks for not 'walking away' and giving 'us' another chance, i hope we do not disappoint.
Clive
Old 20 Nov 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1159167)   #36
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't received mine yet. Are there still some outstanding? Not a problem - we've got 'til January, but I don't want to miss out. I expect there'll be another one in a forthcoming newsletter.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1160048)   #37
Sue W
Rookie

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Sue W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Woolley, and anyone else who hasn't yet received their renewal! It's Sue here, your friendly BMMC National Membership Secretary!

As George said I didn't get a full list of members from some regions last year, so there's a chance that some of you reading this may not have had anything from me or the Club this year.

If you haven't heard from me by now (all renewal forms have been sent), it could be I haven't got you on the central database. Alternatively, the non-receipt of your renewal may be down to the good old Royal Mail.

So, if you think you might have dropped off the records or you wish to return to the Club, please get in touch.

If you're rejoining, please use the form on our website www.marshals.co.uk

If your need another renewal form please send me a PM, stating your details including Membership No.

By the way, it is my intention to have a renewal form and a change of details form on the our website in the near future.

Regards
Sue
Old 21 Nov 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1160329)   #38
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably the post office. Welcome to the forum Sue, I've sent a Private Message with my details if you wouldn't mind sending me a replacement.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:58 (Ref:1160595)   #39
RobertNickson
Rookie

RobertNickson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,

Got my renewal form a couple of weeks ago and sent it back with payment by return. Just after I recevied my MSA card for 2006!!

What happened to 2005? Are these cards now valid for two years, or has someone at the MSA lost track of time?
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1160811)   #40
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertNickson
What happened to 2005? Are these cards now valid for two years, or has someone at the MSA lost track of time?
See:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=61641
Old 22 Nov 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1160874)   #41
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MSA Licensing have confirmed that these are indeed TWO-YEAR record cards for Marshals in order to save on administration, enabling them to concentrate on up-grades, change of personal circumstances etc. Those collecting signatures; note there are only TEN spaces; so 5 for 2005 and 2006. These ten signatures are sufficient to keep your grade ALONG with Training Day signatures>
Old 22 Nov 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1160936)   #42
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I come into these comments a bit late but as a member of a number of voluntary organisations I find that there are just a few people with dedication to do that little bit extra when the bulk of members let them get on with it. Of course with plenty of advice to offer.
As a newer marshal and the fact that we are at the end of another enjoyable season I should like to record my thanks and appreciation to all those volunteers that do that bit extra to keep us informed and make our attendance possible.
I have already paid my subscription with pleasure and received my card.
Have a well deserved break and I look forward to seeing you next year. Until then A BIG THANKYOU.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1161084)   #43
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gridlock,
Thanks from many of us, Committee Members, National Council etc; not to mention Senior Volunteer Marshals of ALL clubs.
Nice to get Thanks, not brickbats!!
Old 23 Nov 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1161725)   #44
RobertNickson
Rookie

RobertNickson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction, with regard to the MSA cards. I missed that thread as haven't had the opportunity to check the forum for a few weeks. Not being blessed with 3rd sight, and having no explanation with the card delivery, I could not see through the MSA's logic of sending a card for 2006 when we haven't had 2005 yet! Hence my question. Thanks for your help.