Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Mar 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1263455)   #26
GNM1
Rookie

GNM1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Welcome to the forum GNM1.

Do you not find it a little worrying that the FIA GT series is seemingly moving to more of a sprint based format, particulalrly for teams who rely on pay drivers?

Will you need an MC12 or Aston to win in that series sooner rather than later?
Hi JAG

Thanks for the comment. In my opinion, the sprint races are essential for GT racing - for a number of reasons...to attract a bigger fan base that can 'understand' better the format, and for live TV which attracts the sponsors. The stye of format suits us ok - we are happy running 3 hour races and the FIA and SRO do it better than anyone else. In terms of 'pay drivers' - there are indeed less than in previous years but GT racing has been based on this format since its birth. We have 2 professional drivers in our #7 Saleen and will confirm at least one more in our #8 Saleen before the Monza race. Even our Porsche has good fast drivers.

With regard to the MC12, in the last 3 races this car took part in the FIA GT, we were faster than at least one of them (Oschersleben and Dubai) - so really not too worried about them. I think one should consider the capability of the teams running the cars rather than the cars themselves...that will be what makes the difference in each race - in my opinion! We can make no mistakes if we are to beat them, this is for sure, but the pressure is on them i think. Nobody will be expecting too much from us..
Many thanks

Last edited by GNM1; 28 Mar 2005 at 11:55.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1264326)   #27
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think that with Stephane Ratel claiming that FIA GT will be moving more and more outside Europe, it will be logistically quite difficult for teams to contest both series in the future. Unless the two calendars are more in sync. E.g. FIA GT goes to Dubai while LMES race at Bahrain a week later; FIA GT race in Zhuhai while LMES goes to Shanghai or Suzuka in a week or two.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1264630)   #28
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the point I'm about to raise was covered in the FIA GT thread - about why their GT2 full season entry list is so small this year - that GT2 teams were going off to LMES because it was cheaper? I'm guessing it's why people like LNT are entering their TVR's in LMES. So to merge the two championships would nullify the point of people entering into something small they could manage easily?

LMES already has GT classes, so it's not quite merged, but it's gone along the same lines already.

In my mind the problem isn't merging series. It's the absense of a tier system. With FIA GT rapidly becoming a world championship, we need something to take it's place as a sort of European championship. It's like going from Formula BMW straight into Formula 1 - too steep a learning curve. Maybe that's where the LMES could find it's biggest use...
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1264668)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I think the point I'm about to raise was covered in the FIA GT thread - about why their GT2 full season entry list is so small this year - that GT2 teams were going off to LMES because it was cheaper? I'm guessing it's why people like LNT are entering their TVR's in LMES. So to merge the two championships would nullify the point of people entering into something small they could manage easily?

LMES already has GT classes, so it's not quite merged, but it's gone along the same lines already.

In my mind the problem isn't merging series. It's the absense of a tier system. With FIA GT rapidly becoming a world championship, we need something to take it's place as a sort of European championship. It's like going from Formula BMW straight into Formula 1 - too steep a learning curve. Maybe that's where the LMES could find it's biggest use...
Or maybe teams simply prefer the longer races?

FIA GT these days is simpy about ultimate pace. The LMES allows the teams a little more influence over the final result.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1264680)   #30
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good point. It's surprising, when you look at topics like this, at how different the championships really are. FIA GT just seems so "big" these days and particularly so with the new fly away races. LMES is proving that there's more than just a sprint essence to sportscar racing.

LMES also, with the LMP's, provides a larger variety of cars. We need something which attracts more types of car, particularly since GT2 runners in something like BGT are winning races with Moslers and TVR's - yet in FIA GT those cars are either ineligable for points or miles off the Porsches.

With FIA being about, as you say, JAG, ultimate pace, they do seem to forget that it's becoming too steep a "learning curve" and that along with the longer distance will maybe drive smaller teams towards LMES and it's more "relaxed" and technical challenge rather than spending so much more to be proven uncompetitive in FIA.

Which leads me to one question - why don't we ever see Moslers in any ACO run events? or has anyone run one in LMES or ALMS in the past couple of years?
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1264684)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not homologated, yet

Last edited by JAG; 29 Mar 2005 at 21:26.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1264691)   #32
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
I do like the word "yet"
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1264714)   #33
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As ive said before IMO SRO could do with getting behind the now defunct Euro GT series and pulling it back into the International sportscar racing arena, particulary when FIA GT becomes a "World championship" it would IMO be a excellent breeding ground both for potential FIA GT and LMES. A stepping stone for teams from the various national GT series that we have in Europe at the moment and dont quite have the money/experince to make it in the LMES or FIA GT but are too good to be sat around in their respective national championships, and lets face it, if things carry on the way they are going there will soon be enough entries to warrant a Euro GT championship.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 04:36 (Ref:1264910)   #34
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
So the conclusion of this discussion thread is that, rather than merging FIA GT and LMES, there should be another Euro GT Championship?

And if LMES and FIA GT should not be one, then should there be an US GT Championship? Since GT1 and GT2 cars can only race in the ALMS and no other series in USA.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1264935)   #35
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea to me Asa, especially regarding a US GT championship. Although personally id think it would be a good idea to include a GT3 class if there was to be a US GT championship running to rules the same as those found in British GT/FFSA/Spanish GT etc, because IMO the grid would lack entries if the series had just GT1 and GT2 cars, initally at least. Lets hope it happens, but Id not put any money on their being a US GT Championship for quite some years yet.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1264974)   #36
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe FIA GT could include a prototype class, so teams have an alternative to LMES? That could then merge with SuperGT, while LMES could run a few "GT only" races in north America.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1264988)   #37
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Maybe FIA GT could include a prototype class, so teams have an alternative to LMES? That could then merge with SuperGT, while LMES could run a few "GT only" races in north America.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1265058)   #38
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh, no I do not think so ....
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1265238)   #39
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
But wouldn't a US GT Championship compete in a similar market as Grand-Am, Trans-Am or Speed GT?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1265258)   #40
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
But wouldn't a US GT Championship compete in a similar market as Grand-Am, Trans-Am or Speed GT?
...at least one of which is already "one too many". So really, why bother.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1265288)   #41
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
So the conclusion of this discussion thread is that, rather than merging FIA GT and LMES, there should be another Euro GT Championship?

And if LMES and FIA GT should not be one, then should there be an US GT Championship? Since GT1 and GT2 cars can only race in the ALMS and no other series in USA.
The conclusion is we should leave well alone. FIA GT and the LMES are thankfully moving away from each other as direct competitors, the same appears to be happening in the US with the ALMS and Grand-Am.

There are plently of quality national GT championships for teams to enter.

Even Interseires is starting up again, so you can race your old LMP900/675s there if you so wish. Then again PROCAR are consifdering letting in a 3.5 atmo Group C Argo so who knows what else will be allowed!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1265376)   #42
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I thought that Grand-Am should have gone all-GT (if it had to exist at all).