Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1287175)   #26
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I still would not have one, they will start painting them orange again soon take a look the jokes on the Skoda sites they are great.

They are now basicaly Audi/VW but the Skoda name still reminds me of Lada, Yugo and Moscavic I think I will stick with BMW.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1287183)   #27
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How did I know you'd be a BMW driver.

Another stereotype, but this time it has a shred of truth...

If it suits you, in your little BMW world, to think Skodas are still prehistoric eastern bloc junk then fair enough - I can't be bothered to try and bring you into the 21st century.

Just a thought - if you were in the market for a car now, would you buy a 1 series?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1287189)   #28
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing about the Skoda jokes was that Skoda actually laughed along, realised what needed to be done and did it, Lada didn't (btw Ladas were good cars too)

Basically Audi/VW - so what is new? I've bought a Golf GT-TDi for half the cost of a Golf GTi, and with BETTER performance! (please note this was true when the car came out)
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1287193)   #29
blue nose
Veteran

The old Skoda was a good rally car but I would still have had the Mexico.

I dont see the point in having a 1 series.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1287196)   #30
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now that's the first sensible thing you've said, blue nose...
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1287220)   #31
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Now that's the first sensible thing you've said, blue nose...
I'm in shock!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1287244)   #32
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue nose
but I would still have had the Mexico.
I did!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1287258)   #33
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ladies and gentlemen of the audience, thank you all very much for your input and most valued advice.

I have read all your comments, cogitated and deliberated and despite everything you've all said, I am going to test drive a Skoda on Saturday.

And just for the record, no I do not have a blue rinse and neither does my wife!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1287292)   #34
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar
And just for the record, no I do not have a blue rinse and neither does my wife!
That's because you have no hair, dear
Old 25 Apr 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1287326)   #35
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Glad to be of assistance my friends - hope you enjoyed the odd diversion along the way!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1287371)   #36
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope the test drive goes well. There is a lot of respect nowadays for Skodas, as they are excellent cars. I did hear that the grade of steel used for the body isn't as high as on a VW or Audi though don't know the truth in it.

Skoda - great value, excellent car
Audi - excellent car, and as KB said, one to impress the neighbours.

Although in saying that I think you would have a positive reaction from your neighbours turning up home one day in a Skoda..
Old 25 Apr 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1287378)   #37
blue nose
Veteran

Dont get one with a sunroof as it will be filled with bricks and old beds by morning.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1287380)   #38
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue nose
Dont get one with a sunroof as it will be filled with bricks and old beds by morning.
Very likely in our street!
Old 26 Apr 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1287655)   #39
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For more Skoda info there is a very good website: http://www.briskoda.net

Another recomendation is that there is only one Police force in the UK that DOESN'T have at least one Octavia vRS as a fast response vehicle.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1287713)   #40
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And i've never seen an Audi police car!
Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1287735)   #41
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I have. But that was in Germany.

Wouldn't be surprised if one or two 3.0 Legacy traffic cars start to appear - fast, reliable, 4wd, practical - and cheaper than the BMWs some forces seem to like.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1290367)   #42
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Legacy's are used as Doctors cars up here, quite a few silver ones around up here, ye know the ones with the green lights.

Strangely I've never spotted them with the lights on.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1290370)   #43
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Yet another update! I spoke to my son tonight (the one that is an AA patrolman - very nice man!) and he advised us to go for the Skoda on account of it being an Audi with a different badge. He drives an Audi because he says he's a snob. Having said that, his Audi needed some spare parts, so he got the Skoda ones. Nuff said!
Old 30 Apr 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1290763)   #44
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
We've bought one!

Well, we went off this morning with the intention of simply test driving a Skoda. The one we had a go in was the Octavia SDX TDi with an "S" plate (we think - it had personalised number plates and the chap in the garage wasn't sure whether it was an S plate or not). Anyway, we took it out to play and we both loved it. It handled well, responded beautifully and when the turbo kicked in ...!

We then toddled off to our ex-landlord's car showroom and he had a 51 plate Skoda Octavia Elegence 1.9 Tdi Estate in stock (I'm told it's the 110 bhp version - means nothing to me but apparently it's good). I rang my son, the AA man for advice and he told us what we should be looking for. We looked over it, under it, round it blah blah and couldn't see much wrong with it, so we took that out to play. I didn't get to drive that one but Steve said it handled better than the original one we tried and it has loads more toys in it, so we've paid a deposit on it and come 21st May (our next free Saturday) it'll be ours!

I've also booked an appointment at the hairdressers for the same day for a blue rinse

In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy an H registered Sierra Sapphire please PM me for details
Old 3 May 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1291901)   #45
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The 110 bhp 1.9 TDi is the less powerful version, but it is very economical and is perfectly adequate performance wise - my mate's got one and another mate's got the A4 with the same engine. You'll see 60mpg cruising on the motorway and 40+ average.

The Elegance is nicely kitted out - it's the top model if you ignore the special edition the name of which escapes me for the moment...

Enjoy!
Old 3 May 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1291956)   #46
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
The Elegance is nicely kitted out - it's the top model if you ignore the special edition the name of which escapes me for the moment...
Laurent and Klement. Which was the name of one of the companies absorbed into Skoda in the past.