Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 31 May 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1316273)   #26
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
Welcome to the forum, and those are some lovely shots - esp. the lighting on the Bugatti
Thanks.
This is a great forum, I wish I'd found it earlier!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1316725)   #27
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys menionted the expected shutter life, does the same apply to standard 35mm SLR cameras too?
Old 1 Jun 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1316998)   #28
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
absolutely, but it isn't something to worry about. Unless it's in particularly intensive use, you'll get nowhere near the expected lifespan.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1318976)   #29
gweilo8888
Rookie

gweilo8888 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
Seconded. I use exactly that combination and even with the Kenro Pro converter rather than the Canon L jobby, it gives great results. The only caution is it's still not that long a focal length for somewhere like Silverstone.

Example without converter

Example with converter

PS
My first post so fingers crossed
Thanks for the comments guys, and lovely pics! What exactly would you feel the advantages of the 70-200 and teleconverter combo to be, other than a slight price advantage? (The combo seems to be about 200 cheaper than the 70-300 DO lens alone) I presume image quality is a bit better when you're not using the teleconverter, but even with an L teleconverter is image quality going to be good enough? Not really used teleconverters much but was under the impression that they noticeably degraded image quality.

If image quality is equal, I'm tempted to pay slightly more for the DO lens, just because of the size/weight advantages - 82.4 x 99.9mm and 720g, vs. 76 x 199.2mm and 925g for the combo above. That's less than half the size, and a good 200g lighter (the size being the main advantage, should be easier to get the lens in past a security person who's been told to look out for any lenses that are big or white).

Thoughts? Anybody got / used both the combo above, and the DO lens - I'd love to hear thoughts on the quality and usefulness of both.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1319218)   #30
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo8888
Thanks for the comments guys, and lovely pics! What exactly would you feel the advantages of the 70-200 and teleconverter combo to be, other than a slight price advantage? (The combo seems to be about 200 cheaper than the 70-300 DO lens alone) I presume image quality is a bit better when you're not using the teleconverter, but even with an L teleconverter is image quality going to be good enough? Not really used teleconverters much but was under the impression that they noticeably degraded image quality

If image quality is equal, I'm tempted to pay slightly more for the DO lens, just because of the size/weight advantages - 82.4 x 99.9mm and 720g, vs. 76 x 199.2mm and 925g for the combo above. That's less than half the size, and a good 200g lighter (the size being the main advantage, should be easier to get the lens in past a security person who's been told to look out for any lenses that are big or white).
The 70-200/4 is an absolute stunner for the money. It's extremely sharp and gives great colours and saturation. I paid £310 for a brand new one from Ebay and £139 for the TC so for me that was a significant saving. I already knew I couldn't afford the DO lens so I didn't even consider it, but it depends on your circumstances. Perversely, I think if I'd had the money to buy the DO I would have bought a 70-200/2.8 plus a TC instead, but that's just me.

I was concerned about the loss of a stop when using the TC but because of the improvement in DSLR high ISO performance it hasn't been an issue and in fact I've only had to use ISO 800 once or twice since February to compensate anyway. In terms of quality, there's bound to be some reduction when using the TC, but it's still very good, and without doing tests I would say difficult to spot. The combination is noticably better than my old Tokina 400mm prime but don't know how it compares to the DO lens.

Having said all that, I think which ever way you go you'll be pretty happy and if size/weight is important, the DO lens looks like a good choice.

Go have a browse in the Canon lens forum on dpreview.com for some more views.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1332768)   #31
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC
Really most of the modern DSLR you see are good enough except perhaps the Canon 300/50D which is rather limited in terms of functions/capabilities.
Why are these cameras not good enough? What functions/capabilities should I be looking at? I'm just another amature, who is always very dissapointed with my little sony camera. I've been looking at getting a DSLR camera and you can get the Canon EOS300D for £500, which fits just nicely in my budget. I want to be able to make clear sharp pics during races. I've been reading a lot on dpreview.com, but I still don't know what kind of minimum functions/capabilities I require from a camera for racing pics. I appreciate all comments/advice!