Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1337804)   #26
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abit off topic, but Scott Speed was a scheduled guest on Dave DeSpains Windtunnel talk show on Sunday night after the USGP. However, Red Bull Racing cancelled Scotts appearance on the show. I wasn't exactly shocked by this news, but it would have been nice if somebody from Red Bull would have come on the popular talk show and give some kind of explanation to a baffled and angry American audience.

Does the fan matter at all in F1?

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Jun 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1337817)   #27
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've heard that Scott Speed and/or his management seem to have no inclination to cooperate with television at all. Dumb, dumb....

The Ferrari cabinets are legal because they contain no heating elements; they simply retain the heat of the tire warmers rather than releasing it into the air. Actually pretty clever. (This has been discussed in some detail on various technical forums on the Internet.)

In my opinion Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett are a great team; each brings something different to the broadcast, and this is a case where the whole is greater than the parts. Daly's on-air personality seriously detracts from the broadcast.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1337889)   #28
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzaz
In my opinion Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett are a great team; each brings something different to the broadcast, and this is a case where the whole is greater than the parts. Daly's on-air personality seriously detracts from the broadcast.
This is a very good assessment of the three of them. As i have mentioned, i don't hear them all that often, but from years of listening to Varsha and Hobbs covering other events, your "sum greater than the parts" is a good evaluation. Daly has, for me anyway, a way of talking that is often too far over to the slick salesman side of things, not geniune and too much seemingly false hyberbole. The guy has similiar experience racing as Hobbs, albeit 10-15 years down the road, but as you say, his on-air personality is not as genuine.
I recall Hobbs from his beginnings on Speedvision, he wasn't as relaxed infront of the camera, but there was always a genuinism there which along with a sober outlook that you knew came from racing during very dangerous years, that made me like him as a presenter. I was in an Audi tent at last years lemans, and if he had not been in discussion with other people , i would have liked to say hello and tell him how well his Speedvision prescence has been positive for motorsport appreciation and motorsport history.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1337950)   #29
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump
I enjoy the SPEED coverage slightly better than TSN.
I usualy flip back and forth when commercials pop up.
That way you don't miss any racing or pit stops.
Likewise, it means only about 5 minutes of the race is missed in the end.

The problem with Speed is that you only get to see about 65 minutes of the race, whereas with TSN (if it is the sole boradcaster, which happens sometimes) you get about 75. I also like hearing Martin Brundle (when TSN use him and James). Thus, when both are running, TSN is my foundation race coverage. Gerald Donaldson can be reasonably interesting at times too.

Don't get me wrong, I jappily take Speed and their silly ad-breaks over no race any day!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1338176)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I really like the normal trio at Speed: Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett. Derek Daly is a knucklehead. He must have mentioned about 36 times "in my career as an F1 driver" and even at one point noted how many starts he had. What value is added by having him is beyond me. Fortunately he is included very rarely.

I too get annoyed by the commercial breaks, but one takes what one can get. I remember the days well when the grand total of GP's on TV here in the USA was one - Monaco. Not a bad race to see but would have loved to see more!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1338807)   #31
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the UK had speed.

Have motors TV but it is English translated into french translated into english sometimes.

I thought ITV did well on Sunday in the circumstances.

Especially Martin Brundle to bernie eccleston`s wife. "Go give the short man a slap!"