Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jul 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1346702)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Certainly, the Cadillac Northstar programme was an object lesson in how not to run a manufacturer programme. Underachieve for years and then pull out just as results start to improve. Doh!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1346709)   #27
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe I should have slagged off the rest of the LMP2s of that year for not going the distance... at least WR didn't win it.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1346743)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevronB16
The Morgan at LM - 50s throwback (and that's being generous!)? No thanks.

Not for me. 50's throwback? Maybe - but so what. I prefer to describe it as delightful variety from the legions of dull 911 derivatives.....
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1346780)   #29
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The Norma-MGN W12. Did it ever turn a wheel?

Then there was an Italian Group C2 car - the GKW?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1346787)   #30
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not convinced. You could call the WRs a nice bit of variety when compared to all of the Lolas and Courages. It doesn't make them any good though IMO!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1346790)   #31
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Bearing ming the fanfare that accompanied their appearance in 1991, how about Peugeot. One car out after two hours, and the other after less than six. Did a bit better over the next couple of years though!
It was poor, but my understanding is that they never expected the cars to last. Starting on the fornt row (albeit due to the rules and the withdrawal of the XJR-14) and gaining experience was enough for them. They certainly seemed to do a bit better the year after....
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1346802)   #32
Inside_Info
Rookie

Inside_Info should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz 07...
Old 4 Jul 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1347014)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dyson always promising to do Le Mans , Crap !!! And this year from the factory Courage team at Le Mans ..... this was the perfect year for a decent result from them .

Konrad Saleen S7R reliability !

And Thomas Bsher taking off Katayama in the Toyota TS0-20 !

But the 1st prize must be for Alan Randall and Tom Walkinshaw for screwing up the Fia sportscar championship in the early 90's !!!

Oh yeah ..... the Taurus motorsports Diesel Tractor !!!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1347169)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevronB16
I'm not convinced. You could call the WRs a nice bit of variety when compared to all of the Lolas and Courages. It doesn't make them any good though IMO!

Variety? The WRs? No, I don't think so....... Te fact that a car may not be up there competing for a win or class honours doesn't necessarily make it a complete failure, IMO. The Morgan effort was well worth it. The WRs I agree - they are no-hopers year in, year out and simply don't deserve a place on the grid every year. The same went for my darling Debora.......
Old 4 Jul 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1347175)   #35
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Variety? The WRs? No, I don't think so....... Te fact that a car may not be up there competing for a win or class honours doesn't necessarily make it a complete failure, IMO. The Morgan effort was well worth it. The WRs I agree - they are no-hopers year in, year out and simply don't deserve a place on the grid every year. The same went for my darling Debora.......
Would have won the class in 2002 though (until the last lap), 2nd in class in 2000. Statistically therefore not no-hopers.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1347194)   #36
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DP's
Old 4 Jul 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1347209)   #37
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are DP's sprotscars?

- BRM, both in Gp.C (92? 93?) and WSC (95)...
- Normas, WRs and all that sort of stuff...
- Lotus Elise GT1...
- Zonda GR
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1347257)   #38
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And what about the non-famous Kremer 917 of 1981 ?
It was the main reason of the Kremer bros. / Wollek discord.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1347261)   #39
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as the DPs manage to consistently finish races and draw new teams to the series, I'd say they've been less of a failure than, say, the Lola B01/60.

How about most overhyped sports car? Bentley wins hands-down. Show up, win a couple races then park the cars in a museum. Yeah, they really did a lot for sports car racing
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1347276)   #40
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the bentley only won 1 race to my knowledge, 2003 24 Hours of Le Mans. Did it win anything else?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1347290)   #41
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bentley effort certainly wasn't a "worst" effort now was it? They won the biggest race of them all.... I don't know how you can turn that around into anything derrogatory.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1347303)   #42
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I can deal with one WR ..... but two !!!! Certainly not on merit anyway !!!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1347310)   #43
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Ford C100.
And eye-poppingly ugly too. Looked like they couldn't get it out of the shed they built it in.

I have to nominate the FIA for ruining Group C and introducing the 3.5litre formula. How to destroy a thriving championship in one easy decision.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1347318)   #44
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another couple for you - the MiG (ex-Monaco!) GT that turned up one year with (variously) Motori Moderni ("Subaru") and Lambo power...

and, perhaps worst of all....

the 1990 Paul Canary "Eagle" - an old Lola-Chevy GTP car with a home-made and very, very strange engine whose size kept changing between about 9 and 11 litres. The ACO blokeys could only come up with "it's the wrong shape".

It made some very interesting noises, apparently.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1347320)   #45
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I can deal with one WR ..... but two !!!! Certainly not on merit anyway !!!

Well you have to give both Gerald and Rachel Welter an entry!

(Or let them run one car as an Autoexe, or something )

I always try to fit in an hour or so opposite the WR pits at Le Mans - you see all manner of things going on there. At my first Le Mans (2000) they were in the little single-storey garages at the far end of the pitlane and spent more time setting up patio furniture on the roof and seemingly enjoying big meals!

They seem to be rather more serious these days, though.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1347336)   #46
The Badger
Veteran

I dont mind seeing a WR at Le mans every year . What would it be without the little fella ? But ..... 2 cars is a bit over the top if you ask me .

Another sad effort was the pilot 333SP .....
Old 5 Jul 2005, 04:23 (Ref:1347392)   #47
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about every attempt at a ferrari group C car?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 04:34 (Ref:1347395)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
For the amount of fanfare, the Zonda would have to be considered.

For expectations, certainly the most recent Lambo....
Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1347429)   #49
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
what about every attempt at a ferrari group C car?
There was never one.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1347432)   #50
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey-Lee
The Bentley effort certainly wasn't a "worst" effort now was it? They won the biggest race of them all.... I don't know how you can turn that around into anything derrogatory.
The Bentley was a PR exercise ("instant heritage") rather than a racing programme. Built to look good on display, which is how it spent most of its time. Not to be taken seriously.