Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1374848)   #26
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Surely it's more likely that Heidfeld doesn't have a choice? Bearing in mind that Williams only signed him because they lost out to BAR in court over Button's contract, isn't he the most likely one to go? I don't think that that's fair, because IMO he's been the better of the two Williams drivers this season, but Williams have made it perfectly clear that they intend to have Button driving for them next season, and I don't think they mean just testing.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1374922)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frank has insisted he has Button and Heidfeld under contract.

Webber has a contract too, but I believe he's the most likely of the three to be jettisoned.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1374934)   #28
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Webber has a contract too, but I believe he's the most likely of the three to be jettisoned.
I thought he was meant to be F1's latest golden boy. Considering that Williams had their eye on him for quite a while before they signed him, and he was confirmed well before Heidfeld, I would have said that his drive would have been safest. Although I suppose Williams don't have the best reputation for treating drivers well.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1374939)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if Nick loses out in favor of Webber (which will probably happen if Button joins ) it will be a huge disappointment. Nick really hasnt put a foot wrong this season.

Back to Fisi. i think he will get another year at Renault. He realy is the perfect no.2 to Alonso... he hardly gets in Alonso's way
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1374948)   #30
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Nick was always a stop gap solution for Webber and Button in 2006. I don't know why people aren't realising this. Webber has a two year contract, Heidfeld only one with perhaps an option if Button was not to join Williams. Which is highly unlikely, which means Nick will go to BMW. It also remains to be see whether JV will keep his seat, if he doesn't, then you'd have to think Davidson or de la Rosa (armed with his speculated $10m Repsol race drive sponsorship - very handy for a 'new' team) would get the other seat.

On topic, I'm not sure on Fisi's contract situation but I'm sure he will have another year at Renault. Even Flav will admit that he has had a shocking run of bad luck this year.

Over at BAR, it will be Rubens and Sato. I recall BAR say that if they cannot give Ant a drive for 2006, then he is free to look for a race seat. I'm 90% sure he will have a race drive for 2006.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1375278)   #31
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi hasn't been in the same ballpark as Alonso. Oddly make fun of the JV joke all you like, but in theory Massa should be closer to Alonso than Fisi has been. JV has only been a tick behind Massa. I don't think it's a stretch to say that even JV would have been closer to Alonso. This is the magnitude of Fisi's problems. I have not heard anyone come up with a compelling reason as to why Fisi has been so slow. Most people just attribute it to Alonso being very fast, but I don't buy that, the gap is too large.

I don't take pleasure in saying this, but Renault should be looking at getting rid of Fisi. For whatever reason he's just not making it happen at Renault. As the driver market is very tight at the moment, Kovalainen or someone like that should take the spot.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1375295)   #32
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be fair to Fisi he was on a good pace Spain , Monaco , Nurburgring, Silverstone when poor reliability and bad luck ruined certain podiums.

he did only one lap in Bahrain, he was road block in Canada but he might have ended up winning that.

Yes he hasnt lived up to expectations but when he had the pace he has been terribly unlucky
Old 8 Aug 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1375388)   #33
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Central have Fisichella, Webber is a Swap The silly season is well under way and we still have 6 races to go.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...swap/view.html
Old 9 Aug 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1375475)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see Button and Heidfeld as secure at this stage.

Thus Webber will be out - the team are disappointed with him.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1375478)   #35
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:

Really?? and Why is that?
Old 9 Aug 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1375479)   #36
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I know It's even arguable if Flavio himslef has a contract with Renault for 2006....
Old 9 Aug 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1375480)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's just something I've heard from a few people - both within Williams and without.

I'm told there's something about it in the current Business F1 magazine - but not having seen that, I couldn't be sure.

I'm aware Webber is seen as the great untouchable by many, so I'm sure this will be ridiculed - but I'm just passing on what I've heard.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1375485)   #38
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Unlikely and wrong.

FW says he honours his contracts and expects drivers to do the same, so next year will almost certainly be Webber and Button. If an enormous amount of money is paid, it is more likely to be Button leaving than Webber. Your perception of disappointment in Webber by the team may just be hoping for schadenfreude.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1375502)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Frank has strongly said in the past week that Heidfeld and Button have contracts which will be honoured....
Old 9 Aug 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1375592)   #40
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Isn't the point that Webber has a contract too? And Williams can't possibly honour all three with race drives, nor will any of them want to step down to being a test driver considering how highly rated they are.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1375607)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Button has rightly or wrongly been getting a tremendous amount of stick for his wanting to get out of a contract.

Surely Webber himself has a right to be a Williams race driver next year. Is that not what his contract states?

This is why I don't understand the lambasting of Button when teams appear to take the same approaches to look after number 1, i.e. try to get free of a contract if it will benefit them.

I say "appear to" because I don't know the ins and outs and if teams pay the drivers quite large sums to leave in these cases. If Webber's contract does state that he should be a Williams race driver in 2006, does he therefore not have the legal right to have that contract enforced?
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1375610)   #42
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Two race seats. Three contracts with race drivers. A Team Principal who honors ("honours" for my UK friends) contracts.

This would be what we here in the US call a "problem!"

Likely to be expensive resolving the "three into two" equation. I am not sure how this will work out but the $$ will soon be flowing if only to the attorneys!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1375611)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Williams could sell one of the three drivers to another team - and the "gen" from Grove is that they'd rather do that deal regards Webber than they would with Button or Heidfeld.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1375671)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who would they sell the 3rd driver to, there isnt really an abundance of seats available.

Webber has stood by Williams this whole season through the lows and the highs of 2005,let alone having a contract, I hear what your saying KB but I would be most surprised if Frank decided to pull the pin on Webber.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1375677)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

BMW may want Webber, possibly Renault.

Of the three drivers, it's likely that Button and Heidfeld would be the strongest pairing.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1375680)   #46
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Button and Heidfeld at Williams, Alonso and Webber at Renault - whither Fisichella? BMW? Or out? This year hasn't done his reputation much good so far. BAR, alongside Barrichello?
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1375689)   #47
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering Webber was the first signed by Williams between the 3, i find it highly unlikely he'd be the first to make room for another. The only person i can see changing that would be Flav in the off-chance he gives Fisi the boot
Old 9 Aug 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1375726)   #48
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Webber has stood by Williams this whole season through the lows and the highs of 2005
Stood by them? As opposed to what? They pay his wages, as far as I can see he has an obligation to stand by them.

FPT GTHO - my point exactly. It seems unlikely that in a '3 into 2 doesn't go' situation, the first in will be the first out.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1375811)   #49
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
f1-live.com are now carrying this story....

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...09083950.shtml
Old 9 Aug 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1375813)   #50
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Considering Webber was the first signed by Williams between the 3, i find it highly unlikely he'd be the first to make room for another.
Performances count my friend and the fact is Webber has been AT BEST par with Heidfeld.