Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1490761)   #26
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Geoff Ferris moving there (if he still works for Penske), he must be near retirement age now. After all he is a grandfather, his grandson races karts.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1490783)   #27
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've read on the topic, Penske would consider being in F1 if they could make money out of it. If money is their primary goal perhaps the lack of a chance in winning a WDC or WCC doesn't matter to them.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1490825)   #28
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Penske facility in North Carolina is a former Panasonic factory, with roughly 400,000 square feet of floor space.

Roger Penske will only return to Formula One if it is a profitable activity, through manufacturer funding, sponsorship, or other sources. That doesn't mean he wouldn't try to be competitive.

I believe someone mentioned that he owns the world's largest Toyota dealership, which is true. He is also (through the dealerships he owns) the world's largest Ferrari dealer. I was told by the usual "reliable source" that he is the world's largest Porsche dealer as well.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1490913)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well "The Captain" has managed to make money racing just about everything else but F1, so if someone can then he can. I am quite sure that Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and other teams are not out there as money-losing operations.

The knock against Penske has always been that, and it has always been unfair as Penske has always, always performed well over time. Yes, there have been rare instances where the Team has not but look at the race wins, Championships and particularly the Indy 500 wins (I am not as familiar with his NASCAR record).

It gets a bit wearisome to see Penske dissed simply because he is trying to keep his operation in it for the long-haul by making it as fiscally responsible as possible in the rather fiscally irresponsible world of motor racing.

Imho it would be like having another McLaren on the grid as their cars are always well-prepared and impecably turned-out. If F1 gets Penske it will gain by having a group that will have instant credability instead of these ridiculous, cobbled-together Midland/Super Aguri operations where there seems to be no form or substance - only swirling speculation.

Penske, I assure you will very much care about the WDC/WCC as they care about Championships. Championships are key measures of success. Success brings sponsors. Sponsors = income. It is a very simple equation for them. If Penske were in it just for the money then he would not choose motor racing as an enterprise.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 28 Dec 2005 at 11:24. Reason: clarity
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1490980)   #30
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I'd like to see an American team in F1, Penske would not be my first choice. My memories of Team Penske are of a team that spends too much time on rules loopholes looking for that "unfair advantage". NASCAR is a perfect match for Penske in my opinion.
I'd rather see an outfit like Rusport with Jeremy Dale come to F1 but they are racers first and I do not mean, "race for technology".
In my opinion, Americans are far more interested in racing for the sake of racing than they are in F1.
You’d be hard pressed to find a US racing fan who would understand or accept that “their” team has no chance to win. You might get a few interested souls to watch but with results that are so slow to come, they would switch off after a few races.
If you watch a CART race, there are a dozen legitimate contenders for a race win. It is a driver’s series.
We will never see that in F1.
I like both series but they are just too dissimilar for a US team to crossover.
Of course I could be wrong.
Mike
Old 28 Dec 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1491081)   #31
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Penske will always mean Mark Donahue to me. It was ironic that they acheived their one and only F1 victory at the track which cost mark his life the year before. In the Early '70's, Penske was dominant. CanAm, TransAm, indy. Heck, they even had a third in Canada in their first F1 race ever in a borrowed McLaren M19, (painted a lovely Sunoco Blue). When both Parnelli and Penske entered F1 in 74, it seemed that Parnelli with the Maurice Phillippe designed VPJ had the better package and that Penske had badly missed the mark. But perseverence in the face of what was an enourmous tragedy for the team led them to that eventual win in '76.

I'd be thrilled to have them back and will cheer louder than anyone if they return to F1.
The rules proposed for 2008 seem to suggest that room is open for the return of smaller teams to enjoy some success. But when the Manufacturers follow Renault away, it will be the real racers who keep F1 alive.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1491397)   #32
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yeah EERO, I guess we'll have to wait till 2009 give or take, to see if there's pi in the sky...
Old 30 Dec 2005, 06:59 (Ref:1491774)   #33
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't see them running anything more with the new porsche program especially given that at least in my mind its assumed it'll become lmp1 down the line
Old 30 Dec 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1491790)   #34
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
My memories of Team Penske are of a team that spends too much time on rules loopholes looking for that "unfair advantage".
Every winning team, whether in production saloons or F1 HAS to do this. It is their job.